PDA

View Full Version : Sectioning from Springer to Neels Gap next weekend

Double Wide
05-15-2013, 12:24
Shiat Level: About to Get Real

Having only done overnights so far, and planning on doing a thru-hike next spring, I *really* need to do a shakedown and a multiple day trip, so I'm gonna do the first 30 miles of the AT just to see if I have what it takes. And also find out just how unprepared I am. I'm geared up and my pack weight hovers around 34-36 lbs fully loaded with water and food, (depending on how much food I bring), and although I feel like I'm ready, I just need to get out there and find out for sure.

A couple of quickie questions for you veterans:

How bad are the bugs in GA right now? I remember the damn gnats during the summer, but I didn't know if it is too early for the bugs at this point. I have one of those silling looking bug nets for my head, which I use on day hikes around here during the summer, wasn't sure if I wanted to bring it or not. Of course I have a small bottle of 100% Deet in my pack, too.

Also, while I'm bringing raingear, of course, I'm thinking that a longsleeve wool base layer and a light fleece would be all I need at night to keep warm. No need to bring the 'winter' gear, right? Or is it still pretty cold up in the mountains right now?

Sunscreen? Are we 'green-tunneled' now, or is it mostly exposed? I really hate wearing hats unless it's raining or really cold, so I'm only bringing my rain hat, which hopefully never gets used. But I don't want to carry sunscreen if I don't have to.

How are the water sources right now? I learned a tough lesson about cramps and dehydration last time out, and don't want to repeat another night of misery, so I try to carry at least a liter and a half at all times. Having never set foot on any section of the trail, I've heard that there is plenty of water in N. Georgia, especially after this crappy winter we've had. Any local, recent, first hand experience out there?

I think that's about it. Any other suggestions for someone who's not a novice, but still a relative noobie would be appreciated. Thanks!

Gonna take off Thursday morning from Springer, and hopefully roll into Mountain Crossings early on Sunday.

illabelle
05-15-2013, 13:44
We're doing a section this weekend a little north of there. I don't have a bug net, but I wouldn't expect to need one in Georgia. I always thought the nets were mostly for the swarms of black flies and mosquitoes up north, but what do I know. There will be bugs, for sure, and we'll have some spray.

Forecast for Springer Mtn shows low temps in upper 50s, highs in upper 70s. Link below is real helpful for AT mountain weather. Don't know what you need to feel comfortable at those temperatures. I'll be sleeping in long johns, hiking in shorts and short sleeves. I'll have something warm and dry to wear at camp.
http://www.sophiaknows.com/atdb/waypoints.php

East TN is 12" above normal rainfall for the year so far, so we're not worried about water sources being dry. Just be sure to keep your sleeping bag and one set of clothes dry if you have a rainy day.

I am very fair-skinned and burn easily, but I detest sunscreen except at the lake or beach. If I'm hiking, I'm sweating, and the sweat running in my eyes burns enough for me; I'm not adding sunscreen to the mix. Besides, how effective is sunscreen if I'm sweaty? I don't expect to need a hat for this Mid-May trip, but I'll be carrying one just in case.

I'm not a "veteran", so don't pay too much attention. ;)

daddytwosticks
05-15-2013, 15:41
This time of year with the trees almost all leafed-out, I wouldn't worry about sunscreen. No first-hand water report, but generally speaking, water down in these parts is very plentiful because of the wet winter. Have a great hike. :)

MuddyWaters
05-15-2013, 17:41
How bad are the bugs in GA right now?

2 weeks ago I didnt notice any

Also, while I'm bringing raingear, of course, I'm thinking that a longsleeve wool base layer and a light fleece would be all I need at night to keep warm.

Varies. Lows were only 50-55 when I was there, they into 30s I think the next few nights. Id think you would be fine now.

Sunscreen? Are we 'green-tunneled' now, or is it mostly exposed?
I got a little sun, but not much . No sunscreen. Its just starting to fill out on the higher elevations.

How are the water sources right now?
Plenty of water 2 weeks ago. I carried maybe 1L usually.

I think that's about it. Any other suggestions for someone who's not a novice, but still a relative noobie would be appreciated. Thanks!

Have fun. Look forward to hot dogs and coke at Mountain crossings.

max patch
05-15-2013, 17:54
FS 42 is a good road; thats not the issue. The issue is are you comfortable that your father could take care of a flat tire (or other problem) bu himself on a forest service road that is just barely 2 lanes wide. Thats a question only the 2 of you can answer.

You do have another alternative. Instead of hiking Springer to Neels you could hike the approach trail from AFSP to Woody Gap. Same mileage. No forest service road. No shuttle fee.