PDA

View Full Version : A thru-Hiker lost some gear

Slim aka Nancy
07-11-2005, 19:59
We took Cucumber Boy/Girl home from the Billville Feed and Fiasco on Sunday (July 10th). She had lost her tarp and some other gear when she got a ride from a section-hiking couple from Ohio from Pine Grove Furnace to Duncannon the day before. Cucumber Boy is still hiking and is hoping someone finds and returns her gear. She says it may have been left in the Ohio vehicle. She'll have to make it to a shelter each night until she gets her tarp & gear back. So if you find it please contact me at [email protected]. I promised I would do what I could to locate it. I hope someone can help her.
Thanks already.
Slim & Bogey

Sly
07-11-2005, 20:36
Nancy, try contacting the hostel and explain the situation. They probably have contact info for the Ohio couple.

Kerosene
07-11-2005, 22:02
I met them at the Knot Maul Branch Shelter just north of Atkins, Virginia back in early June. Losing gear is one of my biggest fears.

Red Hat
07-12-2005, 11:31
Lost my cell phone (mandatory for husband at home) in the Shenandoahs. Hoped hikers behind would find it and bring it to me. Three weeks later a hiker found it, turned it in to the rangers, they called and sent it home! Unfortunately, I was not so lucky with jackets. Three years, three down, three missing... Hope Cucumber Boy/Girl does better. Red Hat

Gadog430
07-12-2005, 11:42
I am too obsessive to have this happen to me. I don't know if that is a good thing or a bad thing. lolol

I look around for ten minutes before I leave. But then again, there are always thieves.
Dawg

Sly
07-12-2005, 12:33
On the 1st day hiking the CDT I lost my compass!

I was hiking with others so in that respect it wasn't a problem and I aslo had my Sunnto watch/altimeter/compass as a back-up.

I think it was on the second day I lost my fleece hat!

A week or so later I lost my camera! Walked back (crosscountry route, no cairns) a couple miles looking for it, nope.

And then couple weeks later I lost my fleece jacket! At this point I was almost reading to break down, but sucked it up and walked the county road back two miles to where it fell off my pack. Fortunately, I was able to hitch a ride back to my partner.

Never did lose anything after those fiascos! :)

icemanat95
07-12-2005, 13:22
Ritualized packing procedures reduce or eliminate this sort of thing. Everything has a place and it goes into that place in almost ritualized order. When something doesn't go in, it feels wrong and you start inventorying your stuff to figure out what it is.

That said, I did leave my 300.00 Goretex jacket behind at a hostel. I was able to get to a phone and get the hostel owner to bring it up to me, for a small fee the next day. I rushed out of the hostel that day and left the thing hanging on a hook in the shower room...I seem to recall that a pleasant looking young woman was involved in the desire for haste in getting on the trail.

Alligator
07-12-2005, 13:41
What gear did she lose? Post a list maybe someone could help her out. She could easily make do with a blue tarp(<$10), probably weighs twice as much, but it is a reasonable temporary substitute.

Left my boots at home once:o:o:o:o:o.

Sly
07-12-2005, 14:07
Ritualized packing procedures reduce or eliminate this sort of thing. Everything has a place and it goes into that place in almost ritualized order. When something doesn't go in, it feels wrong and you start inventorying your stuff to figure out what it is.

Yeah, that's what I thought too! I started double and triple checking, making sure everything was in it's place, zipped up or cinched down.

dougmeredith
07-12-2005, 14:08
Left my boots at home once
I've done that too. Left my knife at home once.

The things I come closest to losing on the trail are the things that I carry such as poles, GPS receiver, and camera.

Doug

sherrill
07-12-2005, 14:47
My wife and I left our headlamps at home on a Uwharrie hike. Fortunately, it was a full moon that weekend.

smokymtnsteve
07-12-2005, 20:16
Practice good LEAVE NO TRACE!

so U don't leave your stuff eithier...

I always walk a few steps then turn around and make a double check..looking from the oppsite direction....

TakeABreak
07-12-2005, 20:39
I left my photon II flashlight at the port clinton motel in 2000. Every night after night at camp, when I got up to go pee at I would say" God please don't let me step on a snake".

Then about a week later I was eating lunch at a shelter and a weekender came buy partially dehydrated, I gave him some water and made some gator aide mix for him, during our conversation I mentioned to him I had lost my flashlight and forgot to get one up at the last town. He said he was going home in the morning and that night he would be camped with some friends, so he gave me his maglite, I offered to pay for it. He said no it was fate had brought us together, I helped him so he wanted to help me.

Hikerhead
07-12-2005, 20:50
I forgot my spoon on my BMT hike and had to use a stick that I carved flat on one end till I got to the Crazy Sign store. You really don't know what you have till it's gone.