PDA

View Full Version : scout 2 ul

RF_ace
05-15-2013, 19:08
Anyone have any field reviews of this; seems to fit the budget both money any weight

pelenaka
05-15-2013, 20:08
There's a few review vids dealing with setup on youtube (prolite gear) & a thread or two here on whiteblaze. Of course I can't seem to find the thread now. Someone posted a pic if I recall.
I am also considering the Scout for me & my dog plenty of room for us both to toss & turn, enjoy zeros. Pretty straight forward on setup from the youtube vids showed. Up until now I've always been a car/vintage tent trailer camper so should be a good choice for me.
Love the weight or lack of it.

RF_ace
05-15-2013, 21:19
2 pounds is hard to beat

slbirdnerd
05-16-2013, 11:52
I posted pics in a thread. I'll try to put the URL here, let me dig it up..

slbirdnerd
05-16-2013, 11:53
I posted pics in a thread: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?92076-Big-Agnes-Scout-UL2&highlight=

mainebob
05-18-2013, 19:08
I am sending ours home and having out big agnes fly creek ul2 sent back. I bought the scout in damascus and wanted like it. We have had a lot of problems with condensation and if you leave the front door open to help with ventilation bugs have been an issue.

If it had bug screen on the front doot and some type of overhang so you could cook in the rain it would have been much better.

Kaboose of Sassafras and Kaboose A.T. NOBO thru hike 2013.

RF_ace
05-18-2013, 21:31
I tried one out today, I think I will have to live with an extra pound

carophil
06-07-2013, 16:03
yeah, i've heard it has issues with condensation and isn't built all that well. probably worth spending a little extra money.

Kookork
06-07-2013, 18:56
For a couple it might be a good tent ( really UL) but for one person the rear pole waste the space. ( unless you use one of your flip flop to put the rear pole near the rear wall.

Pros IMHO:
Not very expensive
Roomy two person tent( 34 square feet )
Ultralight and compact
high head room

Cons:
Condensation
12 stakes needed ( a serious problem in hard ground)
No porch
Needs ample area to stake out the tent
Front pole in the middle of the door( not so easy entrance and exit)
Not good for stealth camping( orange color)
Rear pole not close to rear wall

To life
07-01-2013, 23:39
I wanted a tent that I could take on a 12 day trip on the Wonderland, use with my husband on occasion, use with my twin 5 year olds, and use solo. I thought this was it! My girls and I fit we'll in this tent with the front pole in the alternative front position. My daughters are short enough that one can sleep in the middle and not knock the back pole over.

The fabric around the zipper is very light and snagged every time I zipped it open or closed. It was an easy fix and I imagine it's an issue with most ul tents.

There was heavy condensation that formed all over in the tent. I really liked this tent and i wanted it to work. During the second night, I lifted the vent flaps up so high, it was almost cartoonish. There is no way I would be able to replicate that where I normally hike. We still had lots of condensation the next morning. It is a deal breaker for me, because I will break camp early on the wonderland trail and have to stow a wet tent. Since it is a single walled tent, there is no rain fly to separate from the tent body so I have a dry place to put my sleeping bag at night. The condensation was not a big deal for the two nights that we slept in it, because we stayed in one place, it was 80 degrees out, things dried out, etc.

I was surprised at the sturdiness of the tent. We didn't have wind, but my five year olds were moving around the tent quite a bit and bumped the pole a few times. I was also able to get it nice and taunt. It seems obvious, but I would not recommend using a hiking pole without a rubber end that covers the sharp tip.

I was sad to return this tent, because of all the space that we had to move around in. I also wanted to use this as an emergency shelter that I could pack when I hike with my girls.