PDA

View Full Version : Bold bear

Semodex
05-15-2013, 20:12
Talked to two hikers coming from Lowgap to Unicoi gap. They had stayed at the hostel at Mnt Crossing the night before and said a large (400 lbs) bear was digging in the trash. But even worse was the fact that the bear has figured out how to get inside the hostel by opening the window (they leave it partially open for the cats). They seemed a little shook up and were getting a shuttle to Hiawassee to spent the night in a hotel. Anyone else hear of this way too smart bear?

HikerMom58
05-15-2013, 22:01
Talked to two hikers coming from Lowgap to Unicoi gap. They had stayed at the hostel at Mnt Crossing the night before and said a large (400 lbs) bear was digging in the trash. But even worse was the fact that the bear has figured out how to get inside the hostel by opening the window (they leave it partially open for the cats). They seemed a little shook up and were getting a shuttle to Hiawassee to spent the night in a hotel. Anyone else hear of this way too smart bear?

No, I hadn't but your post made me laugh a lil ... 400 lbs of bear is something to get a little shook up about coming in through the window..:eek: Wow!

Teacher & Snacktime
05-15-2013, 22:25
Unfortunately that sounds like a dead bear. There's no way they can tolerate it getting into the hostel.

MuddyWaters
05-15-2013, 22:31
My uncle has a cabin in the woods, a small weekend getaway spot on about 40 acres.
His nearby neighbor kept a watch on it for him when he wasnt there and once observed a bear open his cabin window and climb in
The bear pretty much trashed the inside looking for food, then left the way he came.

They left the window unlocked because they would rather someone just get in that way than break in.

Semodex
05-15-2013, 23:07
That's what I was thinking too. :(

Semodex
05-15-2013, 23:09
Sorry... :( about the bear being killed.

moldy
05-16-2013, 08:08
This has all the marks of a sea story. Can anyone from Mt. Crossings verify?

Pedaling Fool
05-16-2013, 08:47
Here's a bold and hungry bear http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2013/05/man-describes-mauling-by-black-bear/

Man Describes Mauling By Black Bear

May 14, 2013 3:57pm

Joe Azougar was sitting on the front porch of his cabin this weekend with his new German Shepard puppy Ace when he “started to hear a vibration or thunder and I turned around to see a bear.”

The next few minutes were pure mayhem and panic in which the bear killed the dog and then came back for Azougar, smashing through a cabin window to get at him and mauling him so bad that Azougar said he could feel the bear’s teeth on his exposed skull.

Azougar, 30, spoke to ABC News from his bed in Lady Minto Hospital in Cochrane, Ontario, where doctors needed 300 stitches to patch up his scalp, shoulder and back.
When the bear showed up, “The first thing that the dog did was protect his master and attack the bear…I heard howling and barking,” he said.

Azougar ran into his 8-by-16 “off-grid” cabin and began to call neighbors, alerting them on what was going on.
“As I looked around I saw him [the bear] drag my lifeless dog Ace into the bush,” he said. But suddenly, the bear was back and it broke through the cabin’s back window.

“It took my dog and then it came back to kill me. It had death in its eyes,” Azougar said.
Azougar began throwing things at the bear, making loud sounds and stood on a chair to make himself appear larger.

“This beast was thirsty for blood. This beast wanted to destroy,” said Azougar. “I figured my best chance was to run outside by the street so that someone could find me.”
Azougar began running, but the bear caught him.

“He had four paws on top of me…he peeled my forehead skin to the back of my head off,” he said, adding that he could feel the animal’s teeth on his skull.
“Then, he turned me over and tried to bite my stomach and hips. That gave me just a few seconds to curl into a ball and protect my head, which exposed my arm pits and shoulder blades.”

Azougar began kicking and punching the bear, managing to hit it in the eye. “It doesn’t feel anything. It is a merciless creature,” he said.
The bear dragged Azougar’s body into a ditch. “By that time I could feel my body become lifeless,” Azougar said.

He was saved by the arrival of two women who saw Azougar getting mauled as they were driving by. “Out of nowhere I heard a horn and these two angles saved my life,” he said. The horn scared off the bear, which ran back into the woods.

“I said please help me, please help me… I managed to put my arm around their shoulders and walked to their car,” Azougar said.

The women drove Azougar to the hospital. “He was two or three inches from taking out a major artery in my neck,” Azougar said.
“I am just thankful to those two angels that saved me. I am thankful to the Almighty for giving me this life,” he said.

The Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources said the bear was shot and killed and has been submitted for a necropsy, where officials will test to see if the bear was suffering from some type of disease.

“I have spoken to people who say they have lived here for 20 or 30 years and they said they have never seen anything happened like this,” said Azougar.

Azougar had only moved to the tiny cabin to escape the busy city of Toronto a month before the incident, working from home as an online monitor for classified advertisements. He said that he plans to return to the cabin once he is released from the hospital.

“This has not discouraged me. I will be going back to my camp, but I think safety will be more of a concern,” he said.

treesloth
05-16-2013, 09:50
That's the stuff of nightmares where bears are concerned, huh? I'm NOT criticizing, but it's kind of strange that the guy knew about trying to make himself look bigger, but didn't know that he shouldn't have run. Then again, I've thankfully not been in that situation and I don't know that I wouldn't have done the same thing.. I'm sure he was panicking.

Did Mr. Bear just come out of hibernation, so hungry he overlooked some of his own fear mechanisms? Reminds me of "Kesagake".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sankebetsu_brown_bear_incident

Dr. Professor
05-16-2013, 12:31
That's the stuff of nightmares where bears are concerned, huh? I'm NOT criticizing, but it's kind of strange that the guy knew about trying to make himself look bigger, but didn't know that he shouldn't have run. Then again, I've thankfully not been in that situation and I don't know that I wouldn't have done the same thing.. I'm sure he was panicking.

Did Mr. Bear just come out of hibernation, so hungry he overlooked some of his own fear mechanisms? Reminds me of "Kesagake".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sankebetsu_brown_bear_incident

Maybe in this case running was the right thing to do. This was clearly a predatory event, and he did get close enough to a road for a car to save his life.

WingedMonkey
05-16-2013, 13:11
It's a long way from to Neels Gap to Ontario Canada or to Sankebetsu Japan.

treesloth
05-16-2013, 13:54
It's a long way from to Neels Gap to Ontario Canada or to Sankebetsu Japan.

Apologies for the thread drift. So I can assume you've never drifted on here? Just asking.

WingedMonkey
05-16-2013, 14:09
Apologies for the thread drift. So I can assume you've never drifted on here? Just asking.

Of course not, and no apologies required.

Just a general comment before the usual OMG, there are bears on the AT and they might kill me. They won't.

:sun

treesloth
05-16-2013, 14:21
2,700+ posts and every single one of them on topic? No one's that good, sorry to tell ya. :-)

And yeah, bear hype is always the norm on here... which makes me wonder why this thread wasn't getting more play. Have a nice day.

WingedMonkey
05-16-2013, 14:25
2,700+ posts and every single one of them on topic? No one's that good, sorry to tell ya. :-)

I think you misunderstood my "of course not" comment.

treesloth
05-16-2013, 14:46
I think you misunderstood my "of course not" comment.

Perhaps. Things can get all sorts of misconstrued on the Interwebs.

MuddyWaters
05-16-2013, 19:19
You dont run because that can incite a predator instinct and cause a bear to attack.
Dogs do the same thing.

Once one is already attacking you, that logic may no longer apply.

Or as Bill Bryson put it in the case of a grizzly " you might as well run, it will give you something to do with the last 7 seconds of your life"

They also say you shouldnt play dead with a black bear, but some have and it stopped the mauling. Depends on why the bear attacked.
Predation on you, sure playing dead wont help. If its protecting its young, it may.

V Eight
05-16-2013, 20:32
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the OP may have been told a story. I think if something even close to that story where true, this thread would be well on it's way to 20 pages.

WingedMonkey
05-16-2013, 20:46
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the OP may have been told a story. I think if something even close to that story where true, this thread would be well on it's way to 20 pages.

Is it on Facebook yet?

:banana

Semodex
05-16-2013, 21:02
That's why I was wondering if anyone else had heard about this bear. They are really smart and this is not the first time I've heard of a bear getting into a building here. My mom lives in Sautee (5 miles from Helen)...she has had a bear get into her trash for the past couple of weeks and people have been known to feed them in Helen. Neels Gap is only about 18 miles from my house...the story sounds feasible to me.

slow mind
05-16-2013, 21:50
Rrrrrrr.......

Pedaling Fool
05-17-2013, 21:51
It's a long way from to Neels Gap to Ontario Canada or to Sankebetsu Japan.I'm getting closer :D

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/wisconsin-woman-uses-shotgun-club-save-husband-bear-161120657.html?vp=1

Video on the link

Wisconsin Woman Uses Shotgun as Club to Save Husband From Bear

A Wisconsin man survived a bear attack thanks to his wife's unique use of a shotgun.
Gerre Ninnemann, 74, and his wife, Marie Ninnemann, 71, from Green Bay, Wis., were at a cabin in Silver Cliff, Wis., on Wednesday afternoon when the husband saw a 200 pound black bear pursuing their golden retriever, Maddie, according to ABC affiliate WBAY-TV (http://www.wbay.com/story/22270875/2013/05/16/man-attacked-by-bear-in-marinette-county).

"Apparently, his dog was barking," Lt. Jim Albright of the Marinette County Sheriff's Department told ABCNews.com. "When he checked on his dog, he saw the bear and went to get the bear away from his dog."

It worked, but the bear turned around and headed for Gerre Ninnemann, Albright said.

"I was so afraid the bear was going to get the dog," he told WBAY. "I didn't take time to go inside and get a gun so there I am unarmed and facing an insane bear."
Albright said Gerre Ninnemann was able to get away from the bear, but the bear tackled and pinned him to the ground a second time and proceeded to bite his neck and claw his back.

RELATED: Man Describes Mauling By Black Bear (http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2013/05/man-describes-mauling-by-black-bear/)

His wife Marie Ninnemann rushed to his rescue. "She came out of the cabin with a shotgun," Gerre said. "Unfortunately, she didn't know how to load it."
Mrs. Ninnemann then hit the bear over the head with the shotgun, which the stunned the bear just long enough for the couple to run back in to the cabin, according to Albright.
The young bear, two years of age or younger, Albright said, circled the cabin for some time until Deputy Beauchamp from the Marinette County Sheriff's Department arrived.

"He made eye contact with the victim to confirm that it was the same bear," Albright said. "The bear came around the car and the deputy shot him."
The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources (DNR) took possession of the bear to determine what caused the bear to attack.

"The test for rabies came back negative," Jeff Pritzel district wildlife supervisor for the DNR, told ABCNews.com. "That's not a factor in the situation. It's still unresolved."
Gerre Ninnemann received 14 stitches in his left ear and staples on the back of his head.

"Black bears are usually quite afraid of human beings," Albright said. "I have not heard of one in the last 15 years in Marinette County of a bear attacking."
Albright said it is possible that someone had been feeding the bear and it was hungry.

"If it hadn't been my wife coming out and clubbing the bear on the head, I probably wouldn't be talking to you today," Gerre Ninnemann told WBAY.

Pedaling Fool
05-30-2013, 10:09
They're back....better hide your children (and dogs) :)

http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/local/Woman-Attacked-by-Bear-While-Protecting-Dog-209405551.html

MuddyWaters
05-30-2013, 19:13
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUQgQlONXls