PDA

View Full Version : Steripen: pros and cons

Praha4
05-15-2013, 20:56
I've used Aqua Mira for several years, overall it's my favorite method of water treatment... my only gripe is the 15 minute wait before drinking. On my recent section hikes I've met several hikers using the Steripen, they all seem to like it. I'm curious on opinons from WB on the Steripen.

some of the pros and cons of Steripen, and I'd be curious on other's opinions:

Pros:
Relatively rapid treament time
Lightweight
No pumps, no chemical after taste

Cons:
Relatively short battery lifespan, and cost of replacment CR123 batteries or AA batteries
Can't use in subfreezing temps
Have to use with water bottles with the minimum size mouth diameter
Must use in clear water, must prefilter cloudy or turbid water

Steripen makes several different models now, including a Mil-spec model that is supposed to be more durable than the civilian models...any thoughts on best model for backpacking?

ChinMusic
05-15-2013, 21:01
I'm on a thru right now. My first set of lithium batteries went dead at Chestnut Knob Shelter. I am over 800 miles right now and still on set #2.

Battery life is not an issue.

Steripen Opti

bfayer
05-15-2013, 21:09
Pros: Deactivates Viruses and Crypto. Filters don't do the first, Aqua Mira does not do the second.

Also the military version is just a different color. The insides are all the same.

I love mine (older Adventure before the Opti).

SunnyWalker
05-15-2013, 21:12
I m on thru of cdt. Started w/Stripen. Created more probs then silved. However I bought The Adventurer. Now using Sawyer Squeeze.

Praha4
05-18-2013, 14:33
Chin,

are you using the Steripen with a 20 oz gatorade bottle? do u just partially fill the bottle to 16 oz, and use the steripen on the 0.5L setting?

ChinMusic
05-18-2013, 14:47
Chin,

are you using the Steripen with a 20 oz gatorade bottle? do u just partially fill the bottle to 16 oz, and use the steripen on the 0.5L setting?
I've made the unscientific decision to use the half L setting for 20 oz.

bear bag hanger
05-19-2013, 09:10
I've looked at the Steripen for years, but, to me, they look a little fragile. This normally wouldn't bother me too much, but if it breaks, you have glass to deal with. I've seen broken Steipen's on the trail and most people who break one don't clean up the resulting glass on the ground.

swjohnsey
05-19-2013, 10:58
Will just shining my flashlight on the water do as well?

mrcoffeect
05-19-2013, 12:09
yes but exposure time is something on the order of 5 days.:eek:

q-tip
05-19-2013, 12:12
My biggest safety concern is dehydration. I sweat profusely, so immediate water treatment is critical, and I don't want to carry extra water. I use the Steripen for water purification mostly during the day, I use Aquira Mira in camp--batteries last a long time with this strategy.

MuddyWaters
05-19-2013, 13:57

Placing a clear water bottle in the sun will work too, just take longer.

Cookerhiker
05-19-2013, 14:50
I've heard how steripens can be temperamental and finicky but mine's worked so far, knock on wood. Not sure if I'd trust it on hikes >1 week.

Bucho
05-19-2013, 18:33
cons:
1. often defective
2. no way to purify the edges of your water bottle so you're drinking giardia anyway
3. doesn't filter gunk out of water
4. doesn't work on cloudy water
5. runs out of batteries
6. doesn't kill worm eggs
7. heavy

pros:
1. shiny light
2. kills viruses

Starchild
05-20-2013, 19:49
Have used it since Springer ad almost at Harpers Ferry. I have the 2.5 oz rechargeable model. Never ran out of power and can recharge if needed from my external battery pack that I have for my iPhone.

For me it is the lightest weight solution.

q-tip
05-21-2013, 08:37
How does a clear water bottle work at night???

lissersmith
05-21-2013, 08:45
I got one but would not recommend it. It doesn't work most of the time, very unreliable. I gave up on it. Will not work in cold weather etc. Also, I have been in many situations where the water needed filtering.I really wanted it to work for me, but no luck.

CenAZwalker
05-21-2013, 16:49
As I have never used one, I cannot speak for or against. But, I can say why I have never used one. Batteries and the potential to become broken. I'm a fan of Aquamira. Sometimes use a Sawyer Squeeze. Depends on the trip.

Slosteppin
05-21-2013, 17:26
cons:
1. often defective
not always, just sometimes probably often, but not always, Operator error.
2. no way to purify the edges of your water bottle so you're drinking giardia anyway
I scoop water up with my kettle and pour into a clear quart jar. I then boil the last kettle of water - no giardia.
3. doesn't filter gunk out of water
4. doesn't work on cloudy water
5. runs out of batteries
I always start a hike with new batteries and carry an extra set of new batteries.
6. doesn't kill worm eggs
I had to buy a filter when I hiked on Isle Royale for this reason.
7. heavy

pros:
1. shiny light
2. kills viruses

There is good and bad about every piece of gear I own.

flemdawg1
05-21-2013, 17:54
I've had one for 5 years now. I've had sporadic problems (~5-10%), and usually carry some ClO2 tablets as backup. There is no perfect solution for water treatment. Each one has its drawbacks.

The most common failure mode is the "red light error". I've found the most effective means of beating that is to remove the batts & covers, and let the unit dry out in the sun for a while. After that it works pretty much every time. I've never had trouble with cold effecting the unit and have used it on winter hikes. Worm eggs and cloudy water? I don't drink from those kind of sources anyway.

Pros:
Very fast
Somewhat lightweight (much lighter than most filters, slightly heavier than chemical treatments)
defeats all microbial threats
No chemical taste or side effects
No clogged parts to backflush

Cons:
relies on batts (but so do headlamps, and you can use rechargables)
can be finicky

Teacher & Snacktime
05-21-2013, 20:12
I seem to be SteriPen challenged, as when I try to use it it just "red lights" on me. Then I hand it to my son and it works fine. We (he) had great success with it on our last hike....Connecticut, with lots of clear water in brooks and streams.

bfayer
05-21-2013, 20:24
I seem to be SteriPen challenged, as when I try to use it it just "red lights" on me. Then I hand it to my son and it works fine. We (he) had great success with it on our last hike....CT.

I have had several hikers curse out their steripen and call it a piece of crap, hand it to me and when I try it it works fine. When they ask me what I did to make it work, I don't know what to tell them, I just follow the directions.

If I had to guess, I would blame most "failures" on either putting it in the water before they turn it on, not waiting long enough before putting it in the water, or pulling the sensor out of the water while they were agitating their water. I really can't say because their steripen works when I use it.

I do think the newer opti is a better mouse trap, but my old one with the capacitance sensors works fine for me.

fizz3499
05-21-2013, 20:28
I love my steripen. It fast, easy to use and I love that there is never a chemical taste to my water.