PDA

View Full Version : Advice for buying used gear

Galkim
05-16-2013, 03:31
Hey all!
so i'm gonna do a part of the trail starting mid June, and i'm gonna go at it for about 6 weeks i guess, most probably in the CT through NH area..
gotta ask for some advice for gear:
first of all - would a 400$ budget be enough to buy good second hand gear (mostly backpack, shelter and sleeping bag) ???
and if so, does anyone know a good second hand gear shop in NYC???

Thanks

garlic08
05-16-2013, 08:26
You can do it cheaply. Here are some past threads:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?15329-Cheap-Gear-%96-How-to-Dirt-Bag-and-Deal-Shop-Like-a-Professional (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?15329-Cheap-Gear-%96-How-to-Dirt-Bag-and-Deal-Shop-Like-a-Professional)

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?5594-300-Challenge

Sorry, I don't know the NYC area.

jjchgo
05-16-2013, 09:11
your big 3 can absolutely be done for <$400. i picked up a brand new ula circuit on ebay for $150, montbell super stretch 3 on ebay for $125, and exped ul7 on ebay cant remember exactly but it was used and under $125. there are some great deals to be had but it takes time to catch them.

sorry i'm no help on nyc shops...

best of luck!

jjchgo
05-16-2013, 09:15
sorry i mistyped. and didnt include shelter cause i'm still using my old sierra designs tent. but you get the idea, check ebay and check it daily.

FarmerChef
05-16-2013, 09:33
Sure. $400 is plenty of money. I could replace my shelter/sleep system for a little more than half that, brand new. Silnylon tarp - homemade ($45), flannel sleeping bag liner ($35), silk liner ($10), Tyvek groundcover ($20 worth of Tyvek, give or take), GoLite Jam 50L ($110). You can certainly find all that cheaper used or use the money to buy more expensive gear. In June/July unless it's strangely cold you'll be fine with a 40 or probably even a 50 degree bag. The flannel bag I referenced is rated to 40 degrees (yeah, right) but is plenty comfortable at temps above 50. If it dips lower, I just put on some more clothes. Each sleep system is different. Ymmv.

RodentWhisperer
05-17-2013, 09:42
Go to Backpackinglight.com, and check out the Gear Deals and Gear Swap forums. You'll need membership to post, but most of the sellers include pictures/descriptions.

Feral Bill
05-17-2013, 11:06
I'm assuming you are flying in, and need to buy gear as soon as you arrive. If you only need shelter, sleeping bag, and pack, you could buy adequate gear brand new for $400. NYC has REI, EMS, and several local shops. If there is a bus there, you could do very well at Campmor in New Jersey, as well. You could be geared up and on the train to the trail in a day or two.

turtle fast
05-17-2013, 13:46
I gotta second Campmor in Paramus, NJ. Once in a while you can find gear in thrift stores....but its not often you find stuff you want. Check craigslist, ebay, SteepandCheap and even here on the for sale forum. $400 is more than enough to do what you want to do.

DLP
05-17-2013, 23:00
I'd also put a "In Search of..." on FreeCycle.Org There most likely are backpackers who have upgraded to titanium and cuben fiber and Neoair and be willing to pass along perfectly good aluminum cups and tarps and tents and stoves and pads to you at no cost. There are people with garages full of sentimental stuff. They/We can't bear to give it to Goodwill, or it is a pain to put on eBay but I think would be happy to pass it along to a dedicated section hiker.

Thrift stores can be good. Old isn't necessarily bad. I got a virtually unused external frame backpack at a thrift store in 2000 for $2.50. It was originally $5, but I got it on half price day. ( I left the price tag dangling Minnie Pearl style for couple years at my sister's suggestion). I bought a new hip belt and shoulder straps for it (Campmor.com). Cut/Sewed on the pack and got the pockets exactly like I wanted and total weight down under 3 lbs. Used it for about 1,000 miles. It is in my car with 20 lbs of water right now and I still use it for day/exercise hikes. :)

Recently got a ULA Catalyst (mostly because of vanity and fashion). I really like Catalyst. But honestly, most of the time, I can't really tell that much difference between the old pack and the new one and they don't feel THAT different to ME. Maybe the uphills are a little easier and downhills a little easier in the new pack closer to my back. 15 lbs on a person's back is 15 lbs, no matter what bag is on your back. New pack is sweatier, but more attractive.

$400 is very doable. Have fun figuring it out! Best wishes.

Galkim
05-18-2013, 06:17
WOW!
thanks for all the great advice you guys!
i LOVE this forum!
:)

Galkim
05-18-2013, 06:21
and one more thing, I have a solid comfortable backpack of my own which is about 60L. the thing is - it's not very light, weighing about 4.2 pounds. i thought that ill travel with it and spend my money on a light sleeping bag and an bivy sac...
any thoughts on this matter? would a 40 degress proof bag would do for June-July? would a bivy sac do?
any specific models u guys recommend?