View Full Version : BED BUGS Budget Inn Luray VA

Tony&Stylin
05-16-2013, 09:12
Bed Bugs!!
Avoid Budget Inn in Luray VA. They have BED
BUGS!

Last weekend I drove to Luray VA to resupply and shuttle around Stylin and a
friend. They are section hiking and taking a nearo. We decided to staying at
Budget Inn on W Main St. 1st half the lights, A/C and refrigerator didn't work.
2nd we killed a few roaches and 3rd when we woke up there are was bed bug on the
bed with us. Yes if did feed on one of us, not sure who but it was full of
blood. I was lucky to see it, that way I knew to quarantine everything and try
to prevent infesting my home. When we informed and showed (dead and crushed) the
manager, he merely stated that they use to have a problem with them but not
anymore, like the dead bed bug wasn't enough proof.
So stay away from that place, yes it's cheap but paying to have your whole
house treated will more than offset the savings, not to mention the bites.
Bed bugs can survive months without food.

HikerMom58
05-16-2013, 10:02
Thanks for the heads up on this Tony&Stylin. Good to know. And you can add the Quality Inn in Waynesboro to the list of places to watch out for bed bugs.

daddytwosticks
05-16-2013, 11:01
Didn't Rash talk about this place too in his journal on Trailjournals? :)

Rasty
05-16-2013, 11:09
Its been getting terrible reviews since 2007 for falling apart and bed bugs. Google is your friend.

Praha4
05-16-2013, 11:54
a bit further north from VA.... you can add the Autumn Inn in Bennington, VT to the list of motels to avoid along the AT.

If there was a rating of "Stars" for motels along the AT.... the Autumn Inn should get a "negative 5 stars". IMO some of the AT shelters and privies are cleaner than that dump.

Jeff
05-16-2013, 13:21
If there was a rating of "Stars" for motels along the AT.... the Autumn Inn should get a "negative 5 stars". IMO some of the AT shelters and privies are cleaner than that dump.

+1 on this !!!!

I am sure The Companion and AWOL would need a roomful of lawyers if they started a rating system...but it would certainly be useful.

FarmerChef
05-16-2013, 13:59
+1 on this !!!!

I am sure The Companion and AWOL would need a roomful of lawyers if they started a rating system...but it would certainly be useful.

I often take a trip over to Trip Adviser when planning a section and checking out the ratings on a place before I stay there. I also post reviews once I'm done.

Here's the review for the Autumn Inn: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g57183-d584594-Reviews-The_Autumn_Inn-Bennington_Vermont.html

And the one for the Budget Inn: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60964-d588710-Reviews-Budget_Inn-Luray_Virginia.html

It would appear you aren't the only ones with these sentiments...

FarmerChef
05-16-2013, 14:00
Doh. Read the first review of the Budget Inn and I can see that Tony already took care of that for us. Thanks for sharing with the rest of the community. Hopefully, they will feel the pressure to improve their product and service.

Tony&Stylin
05-16-2013, 22:04
I've contacted ATC also on this matter. This is the reply I received back from them.
Dear Tony,

Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. This morning I called the Luray-Page County Chamber of Commerce and spoke to Gina there. She discussed the report with the president of the chamber, John Robbins, and he will call the motel, which is a member of the chamber. I shared the content of your message with him, but not your contact information.

If you choose, you can post your experience on the website www.bedbugregistry.com (http://www.bedbugregistry.com/); there are also various social networking sites, both trail and travel related, where you can post your experience to alert other hikers/travelers. You do not need to fill out an incident form.

I will also forward your feedback to the editor of the A.T. Thru-Hikers' Companion, which lists motels and other services along the Trail.

4Bears
05-16-2013, 22:20
Didn't Rash talk about this place too in his journal on Trailjournals? :)
Rash put a post in his TJ on May 6 about the Quality Inn at Waynesboro, complete with pics. He also stated the manager of record was less than cordial and called him a liar. http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=412361

Tony&Stylin
05-16-2013, 22:21
I often take a trip over to Trip Adviser when planning a section and checking out the ratings on a place before I stay there. I also post reviews once I'm done.

Here's the review for the Autumn Inn: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g57183-d584594-Reviews-The_Autumn_Inn-Bennington_Vermont.html

And the one for the Budget Inn: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60964-d588710-Reviews-Budget_Inn-Luray_Virginia.html

It would appear you aren't the only ones with these sentiments...

I posted that review for Budget Inn on tripadvisor.. lol... trying my best to warn everyone.

Nak
05-17-2013, 01:23
a bit further north from VA.... you can add the Autumn Inn in Bennington, VT to the list of motels to avoid along the AT.

definitely...don't stay there, they advertise 1 price but don't honor it. 1 of my worst stays last yr.

Nak
05-17-2013, 01:27
concerning the Budget Inn in Luray VA...it is a dump, isn't it? I stayed there last yr. without incident but when my wife and I were driving thru there I told her, I wouldn't dream of taking her there. Instead we went up the road a ways to the Luray Cavern Motel (? name). To my surprise it was the same price and way nicer.

Sly
05-24-2013, 03:31
I will also forward your feedback to the editor of the A.T. Thru-Hikers' Companion, which lists motels and other services along the Trail.

Unless I get several complaints I'm reluctant to pull a listing or make mention of conditions regarding a service. By the time the Companion goes to print, it's hoped these motels have solved their bed bug problem. Even a mention on the update page could be outdated tomorrow. I also feel trail registers, forums and word of mouth is best for this type of (hopefully temporary) condition. However, I will let the field editors know, and ask that they inquire regarding the problems during their updates.

Jeff
05-24-2013, 09:23
Unless I get several complaints I'm reluctant to pull a listing or make mention of conditions regarding a service. By the time the Companion goes to print, it's hoped these motels have solved their bed bug problem. Even a mention on the update page could be outdated tomorrow. I also feel trail registers, forums and word of mouth is best for this type of (hopefully temporary) condition. However, I will let the field editors know, and ask that they inquire regarding the problems during their updates.

Perfect response Sly !!!

Kerosene
05-24-2013, 10:30
Everyone should realize that bedbugs can show up anywhere, even at the cleanest and ritziest places. They are notoriously hard and expensive to eliminate, and they can easily hitch a ride with a traveler. A quick search of U.S. bedbug reports shows that the problem is spreading, especially along common travel routes such as Interstates. I'm pretty confident that we encountered bedbugs at a motel down south used by AT hikers; and to be sure we kept all of our gear in a car for 3 days in the hot sun before washing all clothes and disinfecting all gear -- what a PITA.

There are ways to check for likely infestations when you arrive at a motel, but frankly it is difficult to be 100% confident.

Gray Blazer
05-24-2013, 12:44
concerning the Budget Inn in Luray VA...it is a dump, isn't it? I stayed there last yr. without incident but when my wife and I were driving thru there I told her, I wouldn't dream of taking her there. Instead we went up the road a ways to the Luray Cavern Motel (? name). To my surprise it was the same price and way nicer.

BINGO! That is a nice Motel. Good view of Hawksbill and the Shennies.

Gray Blazer
05-24-2013, 12:52
Luray Caverns Motel East

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60964-d1047536-Reviews-Luray_Caverns_Motel_East-Luray_Virginia.html

JAK
05-24-2013, 13:01
They need ants. Ants eat Bed Bugs.
Unless they don't want hikers. Bed Bugs eat hikers.

Toolshed
05-26-2013, 11:59
Another reason not to stay in shelters (especially in sections near these places). Since BB's can easily travel in your pack/sleeping bag, it is likely that they can crawl out of your gear in a LT and live in floorboard cracks awating later thruhikers.

Grinder
05-26-2013, 16:37
Just goes to show you:
I stayed there May 6 and have no complaints. My room (105) was clean and secure. Water was hot and TV cable worked just fine.

Josh Calhoun
06-11-2013, 14:03
Tony, I was actually in the office when y'all were complaining about the bed bugs. I was there recovering from the Noro virus, the owner did blow you off. I was to sick to even check for em. At that point all I was worried about was keeping liquids down. Hope the rest of your hike was good.

Rash