PDA

View Full Version : Carbs, salty or protein and leg shakes...blech...confused

Semodex
05-16-2013, 12:22
I was wondering what food you guys think is best for a day hike. I brought snickers for a short day hike and after about 6 miles had leg shakes. There is much differing information on the internet on food and hikes, and just wanted your opinion if better or different food (something carby and salty like pretzels) would help.

max patch
05-16-2013, 12:34
For a 6 mile day hike I don't think it matters much what you eat. Take what you like.

PD230SOI
05-16-2013, 12:37
Yup. Six mile day hike leg shake is more about the shape you are in and what you ate the last couple of days.

of course if you tried to eat a London Broil while hiking.....

Malto
05-16-2013, 12:54
for a 6 mile day hike i don't think it matters much what you eat. Take what you like.

yup........

Semodex
05-16-2013, 12:58
lol...no one caught AFTER six miles...it wasn't a six mile hike...

Semodex
05-16-2013, 13:00
I guess I worded it wrong.

BirdBrain
05-16-2013, 13:02
Yup. Six mile day hike leg shake is more about the shape you are in and what you ate the last couple of days.

of course if you tried to eat a London Broil while hiking.....

Totally agree. You need to walk a lot more. On a 6 mile walk I often eat nothing and if I do eat anything it usually just a little gorp.

BirdBrain
05-16-2013, 13:03
I guess I worded it wrong.

You worded it right. We just were not reading very well. I will now defer to those with more experience.

Ktaadn
05-16-2013, 13:15
I was wondering what food you guys think is best for a day hike. I brought snickers for a short day hike and after about 6 miles had leg shakes. There is much differing information on the internet on food and hikes, and just wanted your opinion if better or different food (something carby and salty like pretzels) would help.

I could be wrong but it sounds like you are just assuming that your leg shakes are related to what you ate and when you ate it. The leg shakes could have been caused by any number of things I would think. Were your legs tired/weak? Were you dehydrated? Did you eat the snickers bar? Did you eat anything else before you went hiking?

I can't say that I've ever had leg shakes but my legs have at times felt like jello and felt like they might give out when I was tired or maybe just needed some more sugar.

I guess what I'm beating around the bush trying to say is maybe some more details would help. :)

Semodex
05-16-2013, 13:18
It was a hard hike. We went from the parking lot above Mnt Crossing to Hogpen. My legs have been a little better since then. I was just hoping there was some kind of magical food combination to make things easier (and dang it...not that I'm just out of shape)! Gorp is wonderful...I think I'll bring it next time.

peakbagger
05-16-2013, 13:43
If it was hot and you were sweating a lot you could have an electolyte imbalance. I use Nuun electrolyte tabs, as when its hot, I really dont like Gatoraid and dont drink enough. There is a home made electrolyte mix which is bascially koolaid made half strenght and a spoon of Mortons light salt (has potassium) in there. Keep in mind that whenever you eat something substantial the body routes blood to the stomach which reduces the amount of blood going to your legs and arms (makes for cold hands in the winter). The recomendation is to snack a small amount frequently while you are hiking. Some folks with a higher caffeine tolerence than I swear by GU doulbe expresso shots, but my observation is once they start thye have to keep taking them.

fizz3499
05-16-2013, 14:04
I love trail mix its salty and sweet. I try to eat small amounts when ever I take a break. One thing I always have in my pack is a couple of packets of emergen-c and salt. If anyone in our group get cramps or shakes I put one packet of each in 16 ounces of water and have them sip it until its gone. I hike in central Florida a lot and between the heat and humidity even well conditioned hikers can run into problems. This combination works way better then gatoraid or any thing else I know of.

rocketsocks
05-16-2013, 14:20
It was a hard hike. We went from the parking lot above Mnt Crossing to Hogpen. My legs have been a little better since then. I was just hoping there was some kind of magical food combination to make things easier (and dang it...not that I'm just out of shape)! Gorp is wonderful...I think I'll bring it next time.Are you diabetic? low sugar can cause shaky legs, OJ for a quick fix for me when I'm feeling this way. Yep, sounds like you were maybe just dehydrated. Sugars on the trail are crap food...most of the time. You want some slow burning carbs...for me Good Ole raisins and peanuts fit the bill, the perfect trail food...o'coarse a big spaghetti dinner the night before a day hike ain't a bad start, oatmeal the morning of, Gorp through out the day...you can't drink to much, well you can, but probably won't....Hydrate.

and this all assumes you have your electrolytes in order...I take vitamins and minerals....don't forget the minerals, very important.

Tennessee Viking
05-16-2013, 15:14
It would help better know what you usually take on your hikes. But I think you may be looking toward more mineral replenishment. Eating a lot of processed/carb foods the day before or of a hike can give you a lot of energy at first. But you will crash and wear down, when you start sweating and peeing on a hike.

There are times when I go for 1-2 miles or 10 miles in the hot NC Piedmont, then all of sudden I am zapped of energy or my legs fell like jelly. Its best to slow your pace (not stop) to keep your muscles moving and hydrate and mineral up.

My main goto for minerals are
Emergen C + Propel/Gatorade powder
Salt Pills

For foods,
Bananas
Nuts
Jerky
Dark Chocolate
Anything with Kosher Salt

Plus drink lots of water before and after your hikes.

max patch
05-16-2013, 17:04
I guess I did misunderstand your question.

I'm guessing its probably muscle fatigue (although the previous comments made about electrolytes or low blood sugar are certainly possible). And that short stretch from Tesnatee to Hogpen can certainly induce muscle fatigue. As well as general fatigue!

Dogwood
05-16-2013, 18:01
I sometimes feel like grandpa in the ending kitchen scene with all the other actors of Moonstruck. I'm confused!

Malto
05-16-2013, 18:51
I guess I did misunderstand your question.

I'm guessing its probably muscle fatigue (although the previous comments made about electrolytes or low blood sugar are certainly possible). And that short stretch from Tesnatee to Hogpen can certainly induce muscle fatigue. As well as general fatigue!

i misread the question but would still answer it the same way. Highly unlikely that an electrolyte imbalance causes legs cramps after only 6 miles. Meaning if they start at 6 then there must be the "imbalance". It wouldn't matter the pace either. Read http://www.arniebakercycling.com/pubs/Free/NS%20Sweat.pdf

Biggie Master
05-16-2013, 20:03
Homemade power gel... Add a little sea salt, finely ground coffee, and maybe some PB and chocolate for flavor...

Semodex
05-16-2013, 20:05
After reading everything I think it was a combination of different stuff:
1. We have hiked "moderate" hikes in GA before, but it did not compare to AT "moderate". (and walking the park really does nothing to prepare you for the AT)
2. I ate part of a biscuit before we left and a Snickers that day.
3. We ate junk pizza the night before.
4. I was getting used to using a camelbak.
5. The trees were not leafed out yet and I got way too much sun.

After being able to see all that I feel really dumb..and I've wasted people's time...sorry!!
Next time I will eat better the day before (and that day too), pack gorp, drink lots of water and wear a big hat!

PD230SOI
05-16-2013, 23:01
Not a waste of time at all unless this breaks down into name calling!

i am enjoying almost all posts where people share their knowledge and experiences.

i think by these few responses you got some good advice, no go have fun testing it out for yourself.

Venchka
05-16-2013, 23:25
Sounds like you Bonked. Been there. Done that.
Bananas for potassium, fresh or dried. Dried fruit: apples, apricots, cherries, peaches, blueberries & raisins work for me. Jerky, sunflower seeds, peanuts & peanut M&Ms for slow release calories. Granola/trail bars. String cheese. A liter of water in 1-2 hours.
I must be a heretic. I have never carried candy bars, cookies (except Newtons) or other junk food on the trail or on my bike. OK, the peanut M&Ms are close to junk food, but are just a small portion of a larger total.

Wayne

Don H
05-17-2013, 06:48
Are you overweight?
Ever been checked for Diabetes?

Other than that try eating a little during each break while hiking and make sure you drink plenty of water.

If it continues I'd see a Dr.

Ktaadn
05-17-2013, 16:26
Sounds like you Bonked. Been there. Done that.
Bananas for potassium, fresh or dried. Dried fruit: apples, apricots, cherries, peaches, blueberries & raisins work for me. Jerky, sunflower seeds, peanuts & peanut M&Ms for slow release calories. Granola/trail bars. String cheese. A liter of water in 1-2 hours.
I must be a heretic. I have never carried candy bars, cookies (except Newtons) or other junk food on the trail or on my bike. OK, the peanut M&Ms are close to junk food, but are just a small portion of a larger total.

Wayne

Bananas actually aren't high in potassium relative to other foods. This is probably the most misquoted pieces of nutrition advice around. A white potato has twice the potassium that a banana does.

I'm not saying that baked potatoes should become your go-to hiking snack. Just an FYI.

Semodex
05-17-2013, 23:53
We are planning an eight mile tomorrow. This is what I've done:
1. Hiked or walked every day this week (twice on the AT)
2. Bought a big rimmed hat and shorts.
3. Ate really well today and hydrated.
4. Have a lovely gorp mixture to take.

thank you all...i'll let you know how it goes!

p.s. no blood sugar issues to those who asked

PD230SOI
05-18-2013, 00:25
Have fun!.....

Semodex
05-18-2013, 15:36
This hike was tons better...just tired feet! Thanks to all you lovely WB people.

rocketsocks
05-18-2013, 15:52
This hike was tons better...just tired feet! Thanks to all you lovely WB people.glad all went well, and you didn't Bonk!

Venchka
07-19-2013, 10:45
Bananas actually aren't high in potassium relative to other foods. This is probably the most misquoted pieces of nutrition advice around. A white potato has twice the potassium that a banana does.

I'm not saying that baked potatoes should become your go-to hiking snack. Just an FYI.

OK, numbers don't lie. However, how many of us can eat a raw potato on the trail or on a bicycle? When touring on my bicycle, I always grab a bunch of bananas when I find them. They never last long enough to go bad.

http://www.chiquitabananas.com/Worlds-Favorite-Fruit/bananas-and-potassium.aspx

Wayne

QiWiz
07-19-2013, 10:51

Not sure it would matter much for a day hike, unless long and hot and sweating profusely, but I think a basic principle that works for me is to have roughly 50-50 mixture of salty and sweet foods on trail. In summer I would go for even more of the salty and in winter more of the sweet. For long hot days, would also take some electrolyte mix to put in my drinking water. This has worked well for me for many years.

Pedaling Fool
07-19-2013, 11:26
I'm always amazed at how people think that problems with their conditioning always has its roots in what they ate. It's almost always in conditioning. People always want a magical pill to fix their problems, there is no pill, just hard work.

Sorry, but reality just sucks that way.

JustaTouron
07-19-2013, 17:42

There are 28 foods with more potassium. But Bananas top the list for potassium to sodium ratio.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?dbid=90&tname=nutrient#foodchart