PDA

View Full Version : Yogi's Handbook for 2014 thru

Coffee
05-16-2013, 12:28
I'm thinking about a PCT thru hike in 2014. Probably a 50/50 chance that I can make it work in terms of being on the trail for five months. I noticed that the current edition of Yogi's handbook is the "2013-2014" edition so should I go ahead and buy this now or am I better off waiting in case changes are made? For me planning a trip is lots of fun so I'd like to start reading about everything sooner rather than later. But since the handbook isn't cheap, I don't want to buy a new edition next year.

Dogwood
05-16-2013, 12:46
I don't think she updates or comes out with a new version every yr. Overall, I think you can probably go with the current version available. You did say it's for 2014. Try Emaiing her or finding someplace where she discusses the validity of the current version.

BrianLe
05-16-2013, 13:52
I would just email her direct to ask. In the past I had thought there were annual versions, but she does do online updates as well. Her FAQ actually addresses this. It is indeed a conundrum for longer-term planners.

If it's likely that she'll come out with a new printed version before you hike, and especially since you're not sure you'll thru-hike, I would make due with other resources to do initial prep/planning. I.e., look here, on pct-l if you can stomach the occasional nonsense-flurry (or use the archives), various resources at postholer.com. There are books (such as mine and likely others), and I always like what pmags says and he addresses this via http://www.pmags.com/pacific-crest-trail-planning-info
If you do a search on text like "prep to hike the pct", certainly not all of what you get from that is from people with significant experience at it (!), but if you spend a little time looking there is a lot of info out there.

I still recommend that you get the Yogi guide, and even if you've done a good job of pre-trip prep/planning anyway, I would still give a careful read through the "leave this part at home" book.

Dogwood
05-16-2013, 14:33
When people as knowledgeable as BL and Mags talk I carefully take into consideration their well earned advise. +1 to everything BL said. Starting with Mag's FREE trail resources typically fits into my pre-hike planning. Start there.

Coffee
05-16-2013, 15:06
Thanks, this is very helpful.