PDA

View Full Version : How dense are those north bound crowds

DavidNH
07-11-2005, 22:33
Hi,

Since curiosity has gotten the best of me..I just thought I would throw this question straight out:

If one where to start an AT thru hike north bound from Springer Mountain at the absolute peak time (worst case scenario) just how bad are the crowds?

shelters overflowing?
People lined up like going like cars bunched up at Hookset, NH tolls on a nice summer day (if you live in New Hampshire or near here you have heard what that is like)? Is the summit of Springer Mountain totally over run and abused by the hordes of hikers? I have these visions..and I hope it's not true!!

Do most start on the approach trail or from the Forest Service Road? How soon does the attrition really start? are those stories about folks dropping out on the approach trail REALLY true??

NHHIKER

Sly
07-11-2005, 22:52
It's a zoo! Lots of snoring, burping and farting!

neo
07-11-2005, 22:54
i am a section hiker,i hike in non thru hike season,i plan on finishing the AT next year,one day when i thru hike i will start at katahdin and go south to avoid the crowds,i started my section hike in late may 2001 6 to 7 weeks after the
hordes have started,being a hammock hanger also gives me the freedom to camp were tenting is unsuitable,thus i can avoid crowds,i hate crowds:cool: neo

java
07-11-2005, 23:22
How Dense? Dense.

Dances with Mice
07-11-2005, 23:23
If one where to start an AT thru hike north bound from Springer Mountain at the absolute peak time (worst case scenario) just how bad are the crowds? shelters overflowing? There will often be more people staying in the area around shelters than the shelters can hold, if that's what you mean. I'm not a thru-hiker but each spring I do a lap that includes the southernmost portion of the GA AT.

People lined up like going like cars bunched up at Hookset, NH tolls on a nice summer day (if you live in New Hampshire or near here you have heard what that is like)? Is the summit of Springer Mountain totally over run and abused by the hordes of hikers? I have these visions..and I hope it's not true!! Springer shelter may fill quickly but there's plenty of campsites around the shelter, just like at all the other shelter areas. And many more campsites away from shelters, so if you want solitude you can find it. Many people find it hard to comprehend that they can step off the trail just about anywhere in Georgia and spend the night, there's no rules or regulations that require you to stay at shelter areas. There are literally hundreds of beautiful campsites that go unused because people walk shelter to shelter. Most NOBOS walk 10 minutes past a beautiful, large, protected cove with fire rings and water to stay on Blue Mtn, then complain that the shelter there is exposed, cramped, and uncomfortable. Go figure.

On the trail there are not lines of people waiting their turn to climb, if that's what you mean. People start hiking at different times, have different paces, and take breaks at different times and places. You can be 10 minutes behind or ahead of someone all day and never see them. But you'll also be passing slower hikers, be passed by faster ones, and play leapfrog all day with others.

Do most start on the approach trail or from the Forest Service Road? How soon does the attrition really start? are those stories about folks dropping out on the approach trail REALLY true??Nobody really keeps records about how many start where, attrition starts at the Springer Mtn parking lot and continues at every road crossing. And, yes, I've seen people drop off before Frosty Mtn on the approach trail. Most who spend the first night at Springer did the approach trail, most who start at the parking area just go up and tag Springer then come down and start hiking north. There are many exceptions - those who do the approach and continue past Springer, and those who start at Springer's base and hike up for the night. It's all good.

Peaks
07-12-2005, 08:12
If I could get a breakdown on numbers from Mountain Crossings, then I could give you a better estimate of the daily numbers during the rush season. Other than that, take a guess? 20? 30? on a peak starting day.

Sure, shelters will be full, and lots of people tenting nearby. Want some privacy? just go the trail a little further. Usually not a problem.

Further up the trail, the crowding at shelters will be on Friday and Saturday nights from weekenders, not thru-hikers.

The Solemates
07-12-2005, 09:21
Hi,

Since curiosity has gotten the best of me..I just thought I would throw this question straight out:

If one where to start an AT thru hike north bound from Springer Mountain at the absolute peak time (worst case scenario) just how bad are the crowds?

shelters overflowing?
People lined up like going like cars bunched up at Hookset, NH tolls on a nice summer day (if you live in New Hampshire or near here you have heard what that is like)? Is the summit of Springer Mountain totally over run and abused by the hordes of hikers? I have these visions..and I hope it's not true!!

Do most start on the approach trail or from the Forest Service Road? How soon does the attrition really start? are those stories about folks dropping out on the approach trail REALLY true??

NHHIKER

It wont be quite as bad on a weekday, but then again its all chance. If it were me, I would just plan on an early (Feb 1) or late (May 1) start.

SGT Rock
07-12-2005, 09:30
On the trail there are not lines of people waiting their turn to climb, if that's what you mean.
So when I had to take a number and stand in like this spring I must have been in the wrong place to start hiking :datz

Jack Tarlin
07-12-2005, 10:07
Great post from DW Mice who is 100% correct......if you leave anytime from early March to mid-April,you'll be amongst lots of folks (especially if you start between 15 March and 5 April), but there's absolutely no reason to camp with a large group unless you wish to.

Probably close to half of all thru-hikers skip the Approach Trail.

Yes, folks have been known to quit before they get to the summit of Springer. I've personally witnessed this three times.

Kerosene
07-12-2005, 10:33
On the first Saturday of April 2004 the caretakers spoke of about 60 campers at Springer Mountain Shelter and another 30 at Hawk Mountain Shelter. We started north on a Georgia section hike the following Sunday morning and never saw that sort of concentration. Certainly you pass a lot of hikers over the course of the day, but there are a lot of places to camp if you want some solitude (Hickory Flatts Cemetery, top of Ramrock Mountain, a mile north of Neels Gap, several mountain tops north of Neels Gap, etc.). The biggest crowd I ran into was at Blue Mountain Shelter (20+), but all of the shelter occupants decided to hoof it down to Unicoi Gap and into town for the night once they were rested.

Slower hikers were more than happy to let me pass.

Red Hat
07-12-2005, 11:38
I started on March 13 this year. I hiked alone, but several hiker passed me. At Hawk Mtn, there were nearly 50 people (most tented). It was great! The numbers went down each day. I hiked with new friends from Woods Hole to Neels Gap, but that was the only day I did not hike alone. There are enough folks for you to make friends, but not too many to make it unpleasant. No long lines... Several of the hikers who I met at Hawk Mtn that evening will remain friends for life. Red Hat

Mags
07-12-2005, 12:07
I'd seriously consider starting in early May if I was to do another NoBo hike of the AT. Figure the weather is nice, less people, and I am (hopefully! :D) a strong enough hiker where I can reach Maine by mid-late September. Spring weather in the south, Fall in New England. Cool!

The only downside would be the hot, muggy weather in the mid-Atlantic.

SoBo would probably be the way I do it next, though.

Footslogger
07-12-2005, 13:02
[QUOTE=Mags]I'd seriously consider starting in early May if I was to do another NoBo hike of the AT.
================================================
I'm actually thinking of going the opposite extreme and starting in February. I know I'd hit more bad weather up front but next time ( ...and the wife and I are seriously talking about it) I'd like to spread the hike out over 7 months and really slow down and enjoy myself.

'Slogger

Happy Feet
07-12-2005, 13:21
In 1997 we started the first of April; in 2001 we started in mid-February. Next time we will also go for the early start. Yes we had snow, but it was beautiful and we were prepared for it. Unlike '97, we didn't have to deal with the HOT weather and the springs were still flowing in the Mid-Atlantic states, and we pretty much missed the black fly bloom (except on top of Killington- YIKES!), we were ahead of the big crowd, and the croo's in the Whites were still happy to see hikers!

If big crowds aren't your thing, try an early or late start. My personal vote is early. An early start totally takes the pressure off and you can be more leisurely. A May start would require less weight in your pack - no need for winter gear, so you could hike faster and make up the time.

The Solemates
07-12-2005, 15:03
In 1997 we started the first of April; in 2001 we started in mid-February. Next time we will also go for the early start. Yes we had snow, but it was beautiful and we were prepared for it. Unlike '97, we didn't have to deal with the HOT weather and the springs were still flowing in the Mid-Atlantic states, and we pretty much missed the black fly bloom (except on top of Killington- YIKES!), we were ahead of the big crowd, and the croo's in the Whites were still happy to see hikers!

If big crowds aren't your thing, try an early or late start. My personal vote is early. An early start totally takes the pressure off and you can be more leisurely. A May start would require less weight in your pack - no need for winter gear, so you could hike faster and make up the time.

We started Feb 1 and saw virtually no one for the first month and a half. With the exception of some Trail Clean-Up day the GATC was having one Saturday, I can literally count the number of people we saw during the first month using my fingers. I can almost use only one hand. It was great. Speaking of the croos...we got there before the huts were open and the croos just let us stay and play like one of them. We had no mosquitos or flies until CT/MA.

Mags
07-12-2005, 15:16
================================================
I'm actually thinking of going the opposite extreme and starting in February. I know I'd hit more bad weather up front but next time ( ...and the wife and I are seriously talking about it) I'd like to spread the hike out over 7 months and really slow down and enjoy myself.

'Slogger[/QUOTE]

I hiked in the year of El Nino, started Feb 28th. Don't ever want to do that again. :-)

Always a compromise on these long hikes. I enjoy hiking big mileage, so suspect the May-September would be a good compromse for me.

That's the beauty of the long hikes..so many different and enjoyable ways to hike!

Smile
07-12-2005, 15:42
Last few weeks from HF NOBO, not crowded at all, biggest crowd was at the Quarry Gap shelters in PA.....5 in the two shelters, and about 5 camping. One guy was in for an overnight, and a family of 3 in for an overnight. Everyone else THing, except for RubberBandMan and I, out for a month or so SH. Otherwise, pretty quiet from WV though PA so far....

Did have a weird comment about the 501 shelter, called at about 2 pm to order a pizza and a Cheese Steak the guy wouldn't deliver such a small order, and no one else was in the shelter yet, he said that it is a whole 4 miles for him to drive up there and not worth it, so we said... OK, what's the delivery fee you can add to get us some food - he wouldn't come without a bigger order....we headed out, hopefully those behind us that evening had a better experience!!