PDA

View Full Version : what's the ( average) total pack weight for the average thru hiker

henry g wilgo
05-16-2013, 16:25
my pack ready to go may 20....i know it is a high weight at 45 pounds..i have been using it for 3 1/2 miles per day,,,taking 1 hour 10 mins,,,for the past 3 weeks .i feel comfortable with it 90 per cent of the time .still concerned,,,hoping neels gap outfitter can find stuff to take out. just wondering how much i am over the "average suggested weight"???

Studlintsean
05-16-2013, 16:32
Id recommend you post your gearlist and some of the experienced hikers (and non experienced hikers) can offer some great advice. Good luck

Falcon
05-16-2013, 16:43
That's heavy! I would try and get it down to 35lbs or less. After you get started you find you have articles that you will not need. If you can get lighter you'll definitely enjoy your hiking much better. I section hike and when I started I was at 47lbs. but gradually worked at each section ot get mine down to 25-30lbs and I enjoy the hiking much more.

Many Walks
05-16-2013, 17:19
It's too easy to load up for all the "what ifs" because each item doesn't weigh much. Starting at 45-50 + lbs doesn't seem bad, but once you hit the GA mountains you'll be thinking of every ounce you don't really need. By Suches or Neels Gap you be eager to get down to 30 - 35 lbs including food and water. I got to 30 (which included the tent and cookset) my wife got to 28 and it worked great for us. Good luck on your hike.

Dogwood
05-16-2013, 17:23
What's the ( average) total pack weight for the average thru hiker?Can't wait to hear the answers you'll get with this question.

Dogwood
05-16-2013, 17:36
So, should I post on Part 1, 2 or 3 of this thread?

atj_Hiker
05-16-2013, 17:54
I'm a firm believer that if you can't get your pack to 35lbs or under, you're having too much difficulty parting from the luxuries of home. If I want to hike an entire day without stopping for water, I'm still under 35lbs. Over 35lbs is too much work and makes it harder to enjoy the hike.

treesloth
05-16-2013, 18:07
I'm a firm believer that if you can't get your pack to 35lbs or under, you're having too much difficulty parting from the luxuries of home. If I want to hike an entire day without stopping for water, I'm still under 35lbs. Over 35lbs is too much work and makes it harder to enjoy the hike.

What's the ( average) total pack weight for the average thru hiker?

Can't wait to hear the answers you'll get with this question.

I hope Tipi Walter adds his two cents on all this.

litefoot2000
05-16-2013, 18:15
my pack ready to go may 20....i know it is a high weight at 45 pounds..i have been using it for 3 1/2 miles per day,,,taking 1 hour 10 mins,,,for the past 3 weeks .i feel comfortable with it 90 per cent of the time .still concerned,,,hoping neels gap outfitter can find stuff to take out. just wondering how much i am over the "average suggested weight"???
I'd say that you are about average for the beginning thru hiker, and yes, Neel Gap can definitely lighten your load. The question is: will you let them do it?

Astro
05-16-2013, 18:43
I'd say that you are about average for the beginning thru hiker, and yes, Neel Gap can definitely lighten your load. The question is: will you let them do it?

And if you will, why didn't you do it before you got to Springer? :-?

MuddyWaters
05-16-2013, 19:10
What's the ( average) total pack weight for the average thru hiker?

Would that be one in Georgia, or one in Maine?

mtntopper
05-16-2013, 19:22
I'd say that you are about average for the beginning thru hiker, and yes, Neel Gap can definitely lighten your load. The question is: will you let them do it? The question is will you make it to Neels Gap?

snifur
05-16-2013, 19:25
Your pack weight is fine… Good luck!!!

Don H
05-16-2013, 19:59
My pack weight was about 17 pounds not including water or food. I left Springer on March 14th, 2011 so I had cold weather gear.

Dogwood
05-16-2013, 21:26
I hope Tipi Walter adds his two cents on all this.

Tipi would make nearly anyone look like an ULer but you gotta hand it to him. He hikes with style and knows what suits him. Anyone who can hunker down for 4 days from non stop down pours in the Big Frog and read umpteen books in that cavernous Hilldeberg gets my vote for stylish hiker of the yr.

bigcranky
05-16-2013, 21:28
Not sure the average, but I bet it's close to 40 or 45 based on the hikers I've seen in Georgia in March. Plenty of very heavy packs on the trail. That said, if you can get it down to 30 or 35, that makes life a lot easier in the Georgia mountains. A lot. My March pack starting at Springer for two section hikes was just under 30 pounds with two liters of water and four days of food. It'll be under 25 for my section hike in VA at the end of May.

Questions: on these 3.5 mile walks, do they include any hills? Any serious hills? When are you hiking? If you're leaving in March, that's very different from a summer hike. Have you weighed each item individually to get a true weight?

Yes, you can get some help at Neels Gap. They are good folks and they'll talk over all the items in your pack and make suggestions. I think most of the weight savings come from removing items, and less from buying lighter gear, but of course they are happy to sell you that, too :)

That said, any of us would be happy to look at your list and make some suggestions. PM me or post it here.

Really, I remember 45 pounds with no fondness whatsoever, and I was ten years younger and hiking with a 12 year old. In the summer. Not fun.

Old Boots
05-16-2013, 22:21
I agree with Astro. Stop at Mountain Crossing b4 your hike. Then take their advice. They are all thru-hikers and know what they are talking about. I did it and never regretted it.

MuddyWaters
05-16-2013, 22:51
The older you are, the lighter you should try to be.

There was an older hiker, in his mid 60s probably, I ran into in GA, he was carrying ~45lbs. He had 2 weeks of food , he figured the only way to get to Maine was not to have to come off the trail.

After he did only about 10 miles in 2 days, he got off the trail. Realized he needed to lighten his pack or he wasnt going to get out of GA.

Id think that older people are probably going to suffer more with that wt, than some younger people would.

I met a 74 yr old thru hiker last yr, who was doing well with a 30 lb pack, about as fast as anyone.

tridavis
05-16-2013, 23:04
I met 10-12 southbounders last fall on a section hike from Big Bald to 19E with a pack weight of over 30lbs. One was even in the low 40s. So don't believe what you hear on this site, go out and see for yourself. I was really suprised but these guys were gonna finish and were doing 20+ mile days in NC/TN on some hard terrian.

BostonBlue
05-16-2013, 23:21
You are 70 and you have a 45 lb pack? You need to reduce your pack to no more than 30 lbs. Under 25 lbs if you are able to do so.

Crusinsusan
05-17-2013, 00:35
Does Mountain Crossings charge for their gear reduction service?

BostonBlue
05-17-2013, 04:24
They do not charge for this service. One of the best things is that they not only evaluate WHAT you have packed, but HOW you have packed. The placement of items in your pack can make all the difference in the world.

What I really appreciate is that so much of what they sell seems to be hiking gear that is tested and true. Items that really work on the AT. Yes, they are in business, but you get a sense that it is so much bigger than that. In other words, they are not going to be selling you things that you don't need. If anything, they let you know what items you really don't need.

Don H
05-17-2013, 06:08
The Mountain Crossing gear list is a good place to start.
http://www.backpacker.com/november_08_pack_man_/articles/12659?page=4

BrianLe
05-17-2013, 10:08
"My pack weight was about 17 pounds not including water or food. I left Springer on March 14th, 2011 so I had cold weather gear. "

Pretty much the same for me, and then lightened up from there in Pearisburg to maybe 14 (?) pounds baseweight.

I don't think you're going to get an "average", unless just an eyeball estimate. And I really don't know what that is. Perhaps best would be if they put a scale at Harper's Ferry so that along with photos they recorded pack weight in some way --- though direct record of baseweight would be a modest PITA to ask folks to do. But with a handy (and on occasion calibrated) spring scale, just then ask the thru's to write in their estimated base weight at that point.
Otherwise, it's just guesses I think.

Note that of long hikes that I've done, the AT (apart from early starters) should see a relatively low baseweight, and a low overall pack weight. It's one of the benefits/advantages of walking that trail. It's pretty warm, pretty low elevation, you don't need that much gear, and resupply of both food and water is pretty frequent and easy. The fact (and in my mind at least it's virtually a fact) that base weights aren't that low is because there are so many first-time long distance hikers on the trail, so that even of the "survivors", it's difficult, time consuming, and/or expensive to make all of the gear changes that many likely would make based on what they learn in the first month or two on trail.

I suggest that any first-time thru-hiker on the AT (a) not go for a particularly early (wintery) start, and (b) aim for a base weight that's in the teens.

henry g wilgo
05-17-2013, 11:01
thanks guys,,,all pertinent advise as always...wow...am i willing to eliminate stuff...sure thing...it will make things easier and result in a much more enjoyable hike...
gregory pack weight about 6lbs 6 ozs...cant not change out this
north face tuntra sleeping bag..4 lbs 5 oz
my plan is to leave this home...replace it with Sea to Summit Reactor Extreme Thermolite Sleeping Bag Liner (http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/63542?feat=sleeping%20bag%20liner-SR0&page=sea-to-summit-reactor-extreme-thermolite-sleeping-bag-liner&attrValue_0=Orange&productId=1067141) 14 ozs
then will see what neels gap outfitters can do for dropping weight.

thanks again , with much appreciation henry

Colter
05-17-2013, 11:21
Are you thru-hiking and starting May 20? If so, you'll need to set a good pace. I second the suggestion to post your gear list here. You should definitely be able to knock off at LEAST 10 pounds and you might as well start now, and not haul it all the way to Neel's Gap where you'll have to pay to ship it home. I suspect you have too much extra clothing. I would be reluctant to take a sleeping bag liner as my only sleeping bag unless you are planning to replace it later in the hike. Personally I would spend the money and get a pack that weighs a fraction as much.

The average pack base weight of thru-hikers must decrease by 10 pounds or more from Day 1 to the end of the hike.

jeffmeh
05-17-2013, 11:24
thanks guys,,,all pertinent advise as always...wow...am i willing to eliminate stuff...sure thing...it will make things easier and result in a much more enjoyable hike...
gregory pack weight about 6lbs 6 ozs...cant not change out this
north face tuntra sleeping bag..4 lbs 5 oz
my plan is to leave this home...replace it with Sea to Summit Reactor Extreme Thermolite Sleeping Bag Liner (http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/63542?feat=sleeping%20bag%20liner-SR0&page=sea-to-summit-reactor-extreme-thermolite-sleeping-bag-liner&attrValue_0=Orange&productId=1067141) 14 ozs
then will see what neels gap outfitters can do for dropping weight.

thanks again , with much appreciation henry

It's your gear and your hike, so take what you want. That said, a 6 pound plus pack is quite heavy for long distance hiking, and that liner will not be adequate by itself if the temperature drops. The greatest opportunity for weight reduction tends to be pack, shelter, and sleep system.

Venchka
05-17-2013, 18:21
We need more input.
I won't mention your pack. Mine weighs more & I won't change it. I do have another pack that weighs less than half as much as yours. I would consider using it if I can afford a sub-2 pound sleeping bag and sub-1 pound sleeping pad thingie.
Describe your your sleeping bag. It is WAY too heavy even for a synthetic fill bag. What is the insulation? Temperature rating?
Shelter? Type? Weight?
Give us the whole list. Or as much of it as you can. With details.
I thought that my antique, cast iron, lead lined gear was heavy. My stuff is UL compared to yours. Off the top of my head, I came up with 45 pounds INCLUDING food & fuel for 10 days. If I bought a new sleeping bag & sleeping pad and used my frameless pack I could drop about 10 pounds off of that 45 pound figure. If I traded my tent for my MSR Heptawing tarp I could loose another 3 pounds.
"Just say NO!" to some of your stuff.
You live close to several decent outfitters with a better selection instead of waiting until next week to swap out heavy stuff.
Good luck!

Wayne

hikerboy57
05-17-2013, 18:57
i dunno. with my winter bag i was at 22 lbs w/o food,water. 19 w/summer bag. most i saw on the trail this spring were 5-10lbs heavier.i didnt bring spare clothes or rainpants, not sure where i would find another 5 lbs. first aid kit is minimal, tiny swiss army knife, sawyer squeeze.used an osprey atmos50, ba fly creek ul2, neo air pad.
17 lbs is a bit light for anyone without ld hiking experience.

swjohnsey
05-17-2013, 19:56
My pack never weighed more than 20 lbs including full food and water. I never met anyone on the trail that said their pack was too light. You can easily get down to 25 lbs, 15 lbs of gear 8 lbs food and 2 lbs water. If your out of town weight is 25 lbs your average weight will be 20.

jeffmeh
05-17-2013, 20:33
I'm not a UL fanatic, and not afraid of carrying some weight, but I could do a winter setup for the Southern Appalachians for 35 lbs. including 2l of water, 5 days of food and fuel, lots of warm gear, and microspikes. That would take some cash, but it is certainly possible to go at least that light without a lot of cash with a later start.

rusty bumper
05-18-2013, 07:58
At Springer Mt. on 4-1-2011, my pack weighed in at just under 24 pounds. That included 3 days of food, 1 liter of water and my cold weather clothing. I'd worked real hard to minimize my pack weight and in the process, had replaced almost all of my gear prior to my thru-hike. At age 62 I felt my chances for success where very much dependent on a light load.

Double Wide
05-18-2013, 08:29
While I'm fairly inexperienced compared to most people on this site, I've still managed to shave a bunch of weight since I started backpacking. About a year and a half ago my pack was 41 lbs for a 3-day trip, with food and water. Since then I wised up and got a smaller, lighter, and warmer sleeping bag, ditched the footprint on my tent and used a sheet of polycryo instead, changed my stock stainless steel tentpegs for alloy, changed my Sea-to-Summit utensil set for a titanium spork, ditched half of my cookset (don't need that huge pot anyways), went with the smaller fuel canisters, changed my pad from a Thermarest trail light to a Neo air (over a lb of weight right there!), got rid of my camp pillow and use a fleece lined stuff sack turned inside out and full of clothes, got rid of a Nalgene bottle and use a regular Gatorade bottle, and the list goes on.

After a very strenuous weekend navigating about a million blowdowns a few weeks ago, I'm ditching the retro-cool external pack that I had and I'm getting an Osprey Atmos 65 on Tuesday. It holds just as much, it's almost a pound lighter, and it's waaaaaaay more comfortable. (Seriously, take the time to get measured for a backpack, if you're even considering changing out, and you'll see what a difference it makes!).

Anyhow, I'm no ultra-light gram weenie, but humping my fat ass up and down the hills is tough enough anyways, so I'm slowly figuring out what works for me. Yeah, is the polycryo a pain in the ass on a windy day? Yep, but it's a half-lb lighter than the footprint on my tent. Would I rather eat with a fork and knife? Sure, but it's definitely not a deal-breaker to use a spork. I really really like the Nalgene bottles, but anything that holds water will do.

Not to say I'm depriving myself. I have a small eggcrate sit-pad from Gossamer gear that weighs nothing, but it's a nice luxury for sitting on the ground in camp and it's also a 'welcome mat' for my tent, keeping the leaves and mud off my knees when I get in and out. Is it a few minutes of hassle to turn my clothes bag inside out every night and re-stuff it? Absolutely, but it's worth having a pillow instead of just a wadded up fleece jacket. And I still carry a small pouch of pipe tobacco, a briarwood pipe, and sometimes even a small plastic flask of whiskey along too.

Now I'm down to about 31 lbs with food for 3 days and a liter and a half of water. I can manage that (and I still probably have too many clothes, too, but hey, it's a work in progress!)

I don't know if there's a magic number you should be aiming for, but whatever it is, you'll know it when you get it--it's where you find that sweet spot between luxury, necessity, and comfort on the trail.

q-tip
05-18-2013, 08:42
My first AT pack was 40 lbs. I suffered....My base wt. is between 15-16 lbs-total max 25 lbs with food & water. If you would like to see my gear lists, please send a PM---good luck

BostonBlue
05-18-2013, 10:36
Doublewide - One of the best answers yet. Helped me!

MuddyWaters
05-18-2013, 13:35
People have hiked the whole thing with 50+ lbs, and < 15 lbs.
If it works for you , and you can handle it, and your enjoying yourself, thats all that matters.

Heavier is typically slower however, with lower mileage per day.
That may not matter for everyone. If you have a timetable that must be met, it just might.

rocketsocks
05-18-2013, 14:07
Does Mountain Crossings charge for their gear reduction service?I think insurance covers it...might could leave a co-pay/donation though :)

brooklynkayak
05-18-2013, 19:53
I can't belive people still backpack with base weights heavier than 15 lbs in this day and age and with the knowlege and gear thats out there.
It just doesn't make sense to me, unless you are getting your gear advise from the salespeople at outitters.

The heavier your gear, the heavier the backpack you need to haul to cary it. Also the more food and water you have to carry because of all the extra calories your burning.
If you get rid of the junk, hiking is a lot more pleasant.

Some people start out with heavy packs, but learn quick, some people learn slower and some people never learn or they enjoy the pain or challenge.

Study the writings of long distance hikers and learn from them. Ryan Jordan seems to be one of the most expert on this stuff. Check out http://backpackinglight.com.

Bronk
05-19-2013, 02:20
You'll be fine with 45 pounds. As your hike progresses take some time every week to dump out everything in your pack and go through it all. I developed a personal rule that if I hadn't used an item in the last week I got rid of it. It will take some time but eventually you will figure out what you really need and what you don't.

hikerboy57
05-19-2013, 06:42
I can't belive people still backpack with base weights heavier than 15 lbs in this day and age and with the knowlege and gear thats out there.
It just doesn't make sense to me, unless you are getting your gear advise from the salespeople at outitters.

The heavier your gear, the heavier the backpack you need to haul to cary it. Also the more food and water you have to carry because of all the extra calories your burning.

Some people start out with heavy packs, but learn quick, some people learn slower and some people never learn or they enjoy the pain or challenge.

Study the writings of long distance hikers and learn from them. Ryan Jordan seems to be one of the most expert on this stuff. Check out http://backpackinglight.com.
met a guy last month in tenn started from katahdin last september 21 with a 117 lb pack, when i saw him near va, he was carrying 70 lbs.with some 450 miles to go, i guess he was doing it wrong?

Malto
05-19-2013, 08:50
met a guy last month in tenn started from katahdin last september 21 with a 117 lb pack, when i saw him near va, he was carrying 70 lbs.with some 450 miles to go, i guess he was doing it wrong?

and for every one of those hikers that you meet that were successful, 20 went home after a few days or weeks. It is irrelevant what the average pack weight is. Lets say its 30 lbs. Does that mean you can tell your back to stop hurting because yours is only 25 lb. we talk all the time about HYOH, how about CYOP (carry your own pack). Your back and the rest of your body only cares what YOUR pack weigh is. If it feels good, do it. (Now were back in the '70s) And if it feels like 800 lb gorilla is on your pack when you hike, lighten it up. It's just carrying! :)

Water Rat
05-19-2013, 09:00

Wow! I have to say I am quite amazed... What kind of pack was he using (trying to picture what a 117 lb pack would look like)? He must have been in amazing shape! :eek: To start at Katahdin with that weight on his back... Wow.

hikerboy57
05-19-2013, 09:41
Wow! I have to say I am quite amazed... What kind of pack was he using (trying to picture what a 117 lb pack would look like)? He must have been in amazing shape! :eek: To start at Katahdin with that weight on his back... Wow.
he hit mt washington on nov23, over 2 months from katahdin, said he ate 5 lbs a food a day.

hikerboy57
05-19-2013, 09:42
and for every one of those hikers that you meet that were successful, 20 went home after a few days or weeks. It is irrelevant what the average pack weight is. Lets say its 30 lbs. Does that mean you can tell your back to stop hurting because yours is only 25 lb. we talk all the time about HYOH, how about CYOP (carry your own pack). Your back and the rest of your body only cares what YOUR pack weigh is. If it feels good, do it. (Now were back in the '70s) And if it feels like 800 lb gorilla is on your pack when you hike, lighten it up. It's just carrying! :) i couldnt agree more. i just think this sometimes seems to be some sort of contest as to how stupid lite you can get, and for those that dont know what theyre doing, going too light can be dangerous.

Water Rat
05-19-2013, 09:43
he hit mt washington on nov23, over 2 months from katahdin, said he ate 5 lbs a food a day.

Mental image complete. Hey, kudos for him for sticking with it. Most would've bailed by then.

Malto
05-19-2013, 10:19
Hikerboy, I think this must be the hiker you met

http://www.thehikinglife.com/journal/2012/11/at-days-9-10-sunshine-on-saddleback/

MuddyWaters
05-19-2013, 12:27

A bit harsh.
It all works, its all good if you are happy and can handle it.
Not everyone is out to hike 20 miles per day, nor do they need to spend hundreds on new gear to have a good time.

What will get someone to Maine is in their head, not in their pack.

BirdBrain
05-19-2013, 12:43
The knowledge coming from those that have done it is priceless. The bashing opinions from anyone is useless. I will be carrying a base weight of 25lbs across Maine. I have a couple heavy luxury items that most would not carry. I won't subject them to "my way is the only way" opinions. I have greatly benefited from those that are willing share. I have learned so much from you guys. I have never learned anything from a person who starts their advice with "my way is the only way". There are some things in life that can only be done one way, but you don't need to tell a person twice that they cannot breath water. Those facts stand up without insults to back them up.

Double Wide
05-19-2013, 14:30
I'm liking the responses to the knucklehead who started out his reply with "I can't believe in this day and age..." Nothing worse than an evangelist, whether it be religion, politics, nutrition, or ultra-light hiking. It seems that the 'Hike your own Hike' disclaimer is thrown out all the time, but the unspoken follow-up is "but my way is best". Seriously--if you believe people should hike their own hike, then there is no need to say that everyone should have a base weight of 15 lbs. At best it's disingenuous, at worst, just plain hypocritical.

Lessons that involve a little pain are sometimes the best learned, so if somebody heads out to the woods with too much gear, what does it matter to you? I guarantee he won't be saying to himself "Man, if I'd only listened to that expert on White Blaze, all would be awesome..." He'll figure it out. Genuine advice is almost always appreciated, but condescension is almost always ignored.

hikerboy57
05-19-2013, 15:43
Hikerboy, I think this must be the hiker you met

http://www.thehikinglife.com/journal/2012/11/at-days-9-10-sunshine-on-saddleback/

that was the guy chief sherpa. definitely doing it all wrong!

Venchka
05-19-2013, 19:07
Pack, tent, bag, pad, kitchen = 17 pounds.
Some of us bought our gear more than a few weeks ago. Some of us have gear that meets our particular needs. Some of us go to places with very specific gear requirements.
The list above is my maximum 3 season weight for the cool to cold 3 seasons. The list above is also for desert winter triips when I may need to carry 2-3 gallons of water. I can swap packs, carry a tarp instead of the tent and knock the weight down. I definitely plan to replace the sleeping pad and maybe the summer bag which will remove about 2 1/2 pounds.
On the other hand, I really don't need to explain myself or my gear choices. Nor do I need to conform to any Rules other than my own.
"Toss it if you haven't used it in a week." I can think of several things that I may never use, but will never get rid of. I would never remove rain gear after a dry week.
YMMV.
I learned a lesson today: Don't go to REI during their Anniversary Sale.

Wayne

brooklynkayak
05-20-2013, 14:04
Regarding "I can't believe", If you want to make your hike harder than it needs to be then fine. HYOH, but It doesn't take much research to understand why the more well know hikers have such light base weights. Experience teaches this, but so does a little research before your thru-hike.

I cut my pack weight to 1/3 what it used to be, gaining comfort and safety along the way.
I did this by learning from experience and researching over the years.

And I agree, I could have learned it quicker by doing more research, but learning along the way was part of the fun.

I think a lot of people think they have to carry the heavy weight that they do, when in fact most of the weight is dead weight. You just need to do the research to realize how to get the most out of what you carry and get rid of the junk you don't need.

If you do want to loose pack weight, don't talk to the sales people at the local outfitter, they are there to sell you stuff, usually stuff they have in stock and most of that is car camping gear, the kind of gear you don't want to use backpacking.

You won't find a lot of real backpacking gear at most outfitters.

Rolls Kanardly
05-20-2013, 14:43
That is a 20 minute mile with a 45 pound pack. Eight hours hiking per day would be 24 miles a day. That is pretty good hiking. Wish I could do those kind of miles. Good Luck on your hike. Muske-gon

BostonBlue
05-20-2013, 14:58
Hikers starting out with a 45 lb. pack who are in their 20's-40's might have no problem making it to Mountain Crossing where they can wise up and send a good 20 lbs home. At 70, you may find that your body isn't quite as forgiving and the damage is done. But more than that, why would you want to? Most of the hikers on this site who are interested in having you succeed are telling you that you honestly would be much better off reducing your pack. Has nothing to do with HYOH. It has to do with being wise enough at your age to listen to sound advice. Best of luck to you, sir.

Venchka
05-20-2013, 18:34
So. It's the Brooklyn way or stay home, hey?

Big Bend Outer Mountain Loop Gear List:

Pack: 3 pounds
Sleeping Bag (New): 1 pound 13 ounces ($435)
Sleeping Pad (New): 1 pound 3 ounces ($220)
MSR Heptawing: 1 pound 3 ounces
Kitchen, Complete, less fuel: 1 pound 3 ounces
3 gallons water: 25 pounds
TOTAL: 35 POUNDS 3 OUNCES
Add 2 pounds to that total if I decide to use my existing bag & pad and keep my money for road trips to other places.

Try to do that hike with a wee little pack and a Gatorade bottle of water. :D

Wayne
Too old and too dumb to "Get it."