PDA

View Full Version : Another hiker death on the AT

HeartFire
05-16-2013, 19:41
A 71 y.o Australian man

http://johnsoncitypress.com/News/article.php?id=107345#axzz2TSj3VGRk

Dogwood
05-16-2013, 21:17
Hopefully, he went to heaven. The thru-hike to HEAVEN is a LONG LONG LONG one! Pretty special, hey? The scenery along the way must be phenomenal. That manna for a post hike chow fest must be kinda filling! Got some cool dudes at the finish line to greet ya too!

Hey, Moses what was it like doing that 40 yr desert hike? How did you resupply? What was your base wt? Hey, Jesus what was that hike in the Middle East like? Jesus, bet you had no problem resupplying if you can turn water into wine and multiply fish and loves of bread. Hey, Jonah, tell me about being swallowed by a whale.

atj_Hiker
05-16-2013, 21:24
Sympathies to the family. I wouldn't mind spending my last days on the trails but I'd prefer to be on the same continent that I was from. My dad is 76 and I'm hiking with him in the Appalachian mountains in Kentucky in a week. I'm not going to push him. It'll be slow and easy! He has a great love for the Appalachian Mountains and some of that rubbed off on me and my boys.

mfleming
05-16-2013, 23:30
So very sad.....

shelb
05-17-2013, 00:09
Sad, and difficult for the family with his remains being so far away...

CELTIC BUCK
05-17-2013, 00:28
A little much on the smart ass comments when a Man dies

RockyRoo
05-17-2013, 01:43
So sad. Nothing has been reported in the Aussie papers yet. The embassy should be helping with getting him home. If I wasn't on the opposite side of Australia I'd give his family the AT love we all care about.

Dogwood
05-17-2013, 01:53
When I die, if I'm fortunate to make it to 71 yrs old like this man and still be able to financially and physically travel around the world to spend some time backpacking, I hope everyone has a party and lots of laughs and maybe remembers something good that I did or pursued. Or, maybe they'll say well he died out in the sunshine pursuing his dreams rather than dwindling away watching reruns of some game show in a hospital bed. The LAST THING I would want for someone to say is "so sad." Saying that Does Not Entail ANY disrespect to the man or his family!

RockyRoo
05-17-2013, 02:00
While I agree with you DG on your theory; it is still sad that a person like him is no longer around. Us Aussies know to look on the bright side of things and I'll definitely be raising my beer (NOT Fosters) to him tonight.

keepinitsimple
05-17-2013, 13:51
Better to burn out than fade away.

mfleming
05-17-2013, 14:35
Keepinitsimple:

I understand your point but perhaps there are kids/grand kids and others who are now deprived the pleasure of spending time with their loved one.

Whether you go out in a good or sad way, there's usually loved ones left behind who wished you were still here.

Edro
05-17-2013, 15:24
Its Always a sad time when you lose someone. My Condolences to his friends and Family.

BradMT
05-17-2013, 15:55
Better to burn out than fade away.

With a good diet, exercise, and some common sense it need not be an either or proposition...

old geezer
05-28-2013, 17:02
I have been in contact with the family concering the death of hiker George Grant
They asked me to thank the trail angels who helped him and in particular the driver who picked him up and got him to help
He is being creamated in Elizabethtown TN and ashes sent to Scotland and Austrailia. In Austrailia the ashes will be placed in the sea so the currents can take him to travel the globe
I had the honor of hiking with George (Highlander) for almost a month---he was always so positive and fun to be with
He talked to everyone about everything and his Scottish accent was always a big hit
His other hiking partner Roy Row (Phoennix) is still on the trail--they got separated because Roy had to get off the trail when his father died--10 days later his hiking partner died! Crazy!
George was a strong hiker, he did the PCT in 2005
The pictures that I have make it seam impossible that someone so full of life is now gone
I will never forget him...
Johnnie Walker

Trillium
05-28-2013, 20:44
I have been in contact with the family concering the death of hiker George Grant
They asked me to thank the trail angels who helped him and in particular the driver who picked him up and got him to help
He is being creamated in Elizabethtown TN and ashes sent to Scotland and Austrailia. In Austrailia the ashes will be placed in the sea so the currents can take him to travel the globe
I had the honor of hiking with George (Highlander) for almost a month---he was always so positive and fun to be with
He talked to everyone about everything and his Scottish accent was always a big hit
His other hiking partner Roy Row (Phoennix) is still on the trail--they got separated because Roy had to get off the trail when his father died--10 days later his hiking partner died! Crazy!
George was a strong hiker, he did the PCT in 2005
The pictures that I have make it seam impossible that someone so full of life is now gone
I will never forget him...
Johnnie WalkerWhat a beautiful eulogy!

Thank you Johnnie Walker.

RIP Highlander.