PDA

View Full Version : Summer Hammock Camping

07-12-2005, 00:42
I will be taking a group of boy scouts next week (July) on the AT near Thorton Gap in VA. We have recommended that the boys get hammocks because of the heat. Most of them have fleece sleeping bags as well. Now I am worried that we may get cold. What should I tell them to bring to sleep in? The hammocks range from cheap Walmart to Byer's Traveller to HH Ultra Light Asym. I was thinking of telling them to bring their fleece, a ground pad, a sheet and some thermals. Will that be enough? Or is that overkill?

littledragon
07-12-2005, 07:26
I was in Va. 2 weeks ago- north of Damascus. I had my hammock, pad, a fleece bag(the kind you can use as a liner in winter), and a silk liner- I was really quite warm then. I slept in shorts and tee shirt, by the way. I don't think I really needed the silk liner inside the fleece bag. I guess if you have someone who gets cold when they sleep, they may want more, but I would think most would be fine.

I think is it great that you are teaching the kids to appreciate and respect the outdoors. Happy hiking!

Youngblood
07-12-2005, 08:50
... I was thinking of telling them to bring their fleece, a ground pad, a sheet and some thermals. Will that be enough? Or is that overkill?
I'm guessing this will work down to 55, maybe 50 degrees if you stay out of the wind and maybe 10 degrees warmer if you are in a breeze. Sounds like ya'll will have a blast.

Youngblood