PDA

View Full Version : Full Gear List. Thru Hike Help

gratefultrails
05-16-2013, 22:29
I will be starting June 3rd and have finally got all the gear I will be taking in order. Below is a list of the gear I will have. Any comments or suggestions or even things I might have forgotten would be awesome! Thanks for the help:banana

Shelter:
pack: Osprey Atmos 50L --- 3lb 2 oz
Bag: Western mountaineering highlite 35 deg. -- 16oz
ENO dub. hammock--------1lb 6 oz
ENO pro rain fly ------------ 1lb 6oz
ENO hammock straps------- 8 oz
U.S Army sleeping pad----- 8 oz
Sleeping bag dry compression sack-- 5 oz
Pack cover------------------ 4 oz

Cooking:
MSR Pocket Rocket-- 3 oz
Snow Peak titanium pot-- 8oz
GSI minimalist cup-- 6 oz
Spork---------------- .3 oz
Packtowl------------- 2oz
MSR coffee filter--1 oz
Fuel--------------- 4 oz

Water:
Nalgene bottle- 3.5 oz (empty)
Platypus bottle -- 1 oz
Steri Pen classic ----6 oz

Clothes in pack :
Mnt hardwear runoff rain jacket----14 oz
REI long sleeve shirt
Smartwool PHD socks ---- 2 pairs
Long Johns
winter hat
camp shoes

Clothes Worn:
REI short sleeve shirt
REI running shorts
Vasque trail running shoe
socks

Cascade MTN carbon cork trekking poles

EXTRA:

Petzl headlamp
DR Brommers soap
T P
Nail clippers
Chap stick
Ear Plugs
Small Knife
2 Lighters
Extra water per. tablets
duct tape
water proof match
Mole skin
Ibuprofen
pepto bizzz
50 ft rope
small journal
gold bond
first aid
tooth brush ect.
Iphone/ charger
Ipod speaker
wallet
dry bags
big dry bag for food
trash bag for packing out trash
Picture of Jerry
A.t Guide book

Please help with any info or advice!!! thanks :confused::banana

Should i bring the cooking cup and the pot??? or just the pot?

Any way I can cut some LB's would be great, I have some extra cash so any info on gear that could be replaced would be killler!

will i want more than one short sleeve shirt?

BostonBlue
05-16-2013, 23:36
I would include: Insecticide

I would leave:

Picture of Jerry - Just take a photo of him on your phone
iPod speakers - No one else is going to want to hear your tunes
1 lighter - You have backup matches
Take only a part of AT book + have other parts shipped to you

Don H
05-17-2013, 06:39
"Should i bring the cooking cup and the pot??? or just the pot?"
I carried just a 600ml Snow Peak cup but I did all freezer bag cooking.

Instead of a wallet I carried my money and credit/ID cards in a fishing license hold on a lanyard tied around a belt loop.

The AT Guide book can be purchased unbound. You can carry a months worth of the book at a time.

You're probably set on the hammock but a UL tent would be lighter by 1 to 2 pounds. (SMD Lunar Solo at 23 oz as opposed to hammock, rain fly and straps at over 3 pounds.

Defiantly bug spray in June in Maine!

4shot
05-17-2013, 07:08
I will be starting June 3rd and have finally got all the gear I will be taking in order. Below is a list of the gear I will have. Any comments or suggestions or even things I might have forgotten would be awesome! Thanks for the help:banana

Any way I can cut some LB's would be great, I have some extra cash so any info on gear that could be replaced would be killler!

will i want more than one short sleeve shirt?

pretty good list. instead of the Dr.Brommer's soap, I would carry a small bottle of handsanitizer. about the only thing that you will wash during a thru (while on the trail) is your hands. The other comment - I have and love my steripen. However, on a thru I would rely on aqua mira. The steripen does not have the reputation of standing up on a 5-6 month hike. I knew a guy who was on his 3rd one by the time he got to central Va. He got great support from them. However, it was a hassle and that's one thing you don't want on your hike. I hiked in 2010 so maybe they have improved since then. as i said, I really like mine for day hikes and short section hikes.

Rocket Jones
05-17-2013, 13:02
8 oz for a titanium pot? Seems heavy to me. I'd take the cup too.

Starting in June, do you really need long johns and a winter hat? A lighter hat could be useful though.

turtle fast
05-17-2013, 14:02
A second for hand sanitizer....as well leave the Ipod speaker as its truly not necessary. Instead of a packtowel, you may want to consider a bandana as it can serve multiple purposes as a dew rag, towel, dust mask, sweat band, arm sling, and loincloth if you are so inclined. ;)

Sue_Bird
05-17-2013, 15:34
8 oz for a titanium pot? Seems heavy to me. I'd take the cup too.

Starting in June, do you really need long johns and a winter hat? A lighter hat could be useful though.

you should always carry a base layer and a hat, especially since you are carrying a relatively light down sleeping bag. Weather is unpredictable. We had chilly pouring rain for pretty much the whole trail in 09.

what are your camp shoes?

OCDave
05-17-2013, 17:34
How many nights have you slept in your Doublenest? It usually takes very few before you're looking for an alternative to ENO's straps. Try a set of Tree Huggers and Whoopie slings and you'll never use ENO's straps again.

Consider replacing the tarp as well. ENO tarps have served me well w/mild weather. However, you'll not be comfortable in more than modest rain or winds.

Bug net? I like my ENO bugnet but, for a longer trip it may be worth while to look into a hammock with an integrated net.

Good Luck

Cave.Goose
05-18-2013, 08:36
Just a word of warning on the Steripen. This past March I bought one new/ unused, tested it twice at home, and then headed out for a week in Shawnee National Forest. Day 1 I treated 2liters of water. Day 2 it stopped working, telling me the battery was dead.

I've read other similar reports since then. Folks with new Steripens that crapped out within a couple of uses.

I just bought a Sawyer Squeeze filter based on reviews. 1 million gallon filter. 3oz.

Cave.Goose
05-19-2013, 10:37
Consider replacing the tarp as well. ENO tarps have served me well w/mild weather. However, you'll not be comfortable in more than modest rain or winds.

Grand Trunk's Funky Forest Tarp weighs 2oz more than the ENO, but is a whopping 10'x10'. It's so big you can work with the configuration to make it an enclosed shelter. I've used it in driving rain and heavy snow and stayed dry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3I084DVRlA

Cave.Goose
05-19-2013, 10:41
Sorry, I meant to say 15'x15', not 10'. Check this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NU7HtIJvazw

pyroman53
05-19-2013, 11:17
NOBO or SOBO, at some pt that sleeping bag would be insufficient for me.

mdp9
05-23-2013, 09:22
My two cents:

- I'd want a sleeping bag with a lower rating and a pad with more cushion
- Aqua Mira over SteriPen. Seemed like they all broke after the first month
- I prefer a gatorade bottle over Nalgene. That way I can trash it when it get too dirty. And it's slightly lighter. :)
- ipod speaker? Really? a) it will break as soon as it gets wet... which it will. b) As someone else said, no one wants to hear your music. I mean that in the nicest way possible.
- Plastic bag=trail wallet

Looks really good! You will do great! If you keep a blog, I'd love to follow along.

flemdawg1
05-23-2013, 11:17

Shelter:
pack: Osprey Atmos 50L --- 3lb 2 oz There are many lighter packs, I like the Granite Gear ones.
Bag: Western mountaineering highlite 35 deg. -- 16oz
ENO dub. hammock--------1lb 6 oz
ENO pro rain fly ------------ 1lb 6oz Replace w/ OES Macccat, 10 oz lighter
ENO hammock straps------- 8 oz
U.S Army sleeping pad----- 8 oz Can you sleep w/ this on ground/shelters?
Sleeping bag dry compression sack-- 5 oz Look into a cuben fiber stuff sack.
Pack cover------------------ 4 oz

Cooking:
MSR Pocket Rocket-- 3 oz
Snow Peak titanium pot-- 8oz
GSI minimalist cup-- 6 oz Thats actually kinda heavy for a cup, my french press only weighs 6oz.
Spork---------------- .3 oz
Packtowl------------- 2oz
MSR coffee filter--1 oz
Fuel--------------- 4 oz

Water:
Nalgene bottle- 3.5 oz (empty) Gatorade bottle instead
Platypus bottle -- 1 oz
Steri Pen classic ----6 oz

Clothes in pack :
Mnt hardwear runoff rain jacket----14 oz
REI long sleeve shirt
Smartwool PHD socks ---- 2 pairs
Long Johns
winter hat
camp shoes

Clothes Worn:
REI short sleeve shirt
REI running shorts
Vasque trail running shoe
socks

Cascade MTN carbon cork trekking poles

EXTRA:

Petzl headlamp
DR Brommers soap
T P
Nail clippers
Chap stick
Ear Plugs
Small Knife
2 Lighters
Extra water per. tablets
duct tape
water proof match ditch, you've got 2 lighters
Mole skin
Ibuprofen
pepto bizzz Imodium instead.
50 ft rope
small journal
gold bond only if you really like using it, I've seen alot of these in hiker boxes, maybe just some Body Glide instead.
first aid minimal (a gauze pad, 3 bandaids, some aalchy wipes and neosporin)
tooth brush ect.
Iphone/ charger
Ipod speaker ditch it
wallet
dry bags
big dry bag for food how big/heavy, I use a 20l dry bag. If I have more food than that will hold , I just keep the overflow in a plastic grocery bag until it will all fit.
trash bag for packing out trash use a gallon ziplock bag, it won't let stinky food smells out, and you really don't want to carry more trash than that anyway.
Picture of Jerry forget Jerry, Tom will eat him in the next episode for sure.
A.t Guide book

Please help with any info or advice!!! thanks :confused::banana

Should i bring the cooking cup and the pot??? or just the pot? I love my coffee, so a cup is req'd.

will i want more than one short sleeve shirt? I would

Not too bad a list, and if this is what you have, you could def just go with it. The gear won't walk you to Maine.

Cave.Goose
05-29-2013, 07:52
I just noticed you're carrying two cooking systems. The GSI Minimalist is designed to be a complete all-in-one system. The plastic spork is crap (they call it a "foon."), but, aside from replacing that, the Minimalist is all you need. Ditch the pot.

As for coffee, on the trail everything tastes better than at home. That's why I carry Folgers Coffee Singles. They work like a tea bag--just steep in hot water. To save on weight & garbage, I take them out of the foil pouches at home and throw them all into a ziplock baggie.