PDA

View Full Version : Getting Home from Katahdin

Tim Rich
07-12-2005, 09:59
Greetings,

I'm planning to end my section hike at Katahdin this year on July 22, and I was wondering what the best option(s) are to get from Baxter to Portland to catch my July 23 flight home.

Any thoughts?

Many Thanks,

Tim

Alligator
07-12-2005, 10:04
Check the Articles section, and reverse getting to K. Last leg will be bus to Portland.

Lone Wolf
07-12-2005, 10:09
Get a ride from another hiker or hitch from Baxter to Medway. Catch a bus from Medway(Cyr Bus Line, at the Irving gas/restaurant) to Bangor. Switch buses in Bangor for Portland.

Sly
07-12-2005, 10:24
I'd allow more time to get from Baxter to Portland, you're cutting it close.

Tim Rich
07-12-2005, 10:50
I'd allow more time to get from Baxter to Portland, you're cutting it close.

If we go the bus route, I think the key for us is getting to Bangor Friday night. The Concord bus leaves there Saturday around 7AM and gets to Portland at about 9:30, in enough time for our 12:30 flight.

TJ aka Teej
07-12-2005, 18:51
Short answer is that rides out or the Park are pretty easy to find - almost everyone leaving Baxter is heading towards Millinocket.

jackiebolen
07-14-2005, 15:36
Wingfoot, on his trailplace site has some good info about that if I remember correctly. Does it not also give the info. in your thru-hiker guide or whatever you are using?

Tim Rich
07-22-2005, 23:28
Wingfoot, on his trailplace site has some good info about that if I remember correctly. Does it not also give the info. in your thru-hiker guide or whatever you are using?

Hey, I made it to Bangor okay by hitching from Baxter and getting a ride from Millinocket to Bangor. Bus leaves in the AM for Portland. Thanks to all for your responses, I'll post a trip report on my Katahdin summit and 2,000 miler completion. The Companion has some good information - don't know about Trailplace as I don't visit there.

Thanks,

Tim

attroll
07-22-2005, 23:56
Hey, I made it to Bangor okay by hitching from Baxter and getting a ride from Millinocket to Bangor. Bus leaves in the AM for Portland. Thanks to all for your responses, I'll post a trip report on my Katahdin summit and 2,000 miler completion. The Companion has some good information - don't know about Trailplace as I don't visit there.

Thanks,

Tim
Congrats Tim. Now that you have completed the AT what is next?