PDA

View Full Version : Black Flies are out in the Whites and upcoming holiday weekends

peakbagger
05-17-2013, 09:11
There have been numerous reports on VFFT and other sites of black flies down in the valleys and at trailheads in the whites. This is typical but many folks forget about it when planning trips. Generally they start at low elevations and work their way up. Generally if you are moving they arent too bad but if you stop they will swarm. Bring DEET based or picardin based repellents as black flies totally ignore the so called natural repellent. I carry and on occasion, use a head net. They are usually around and annoying until mid June, working their way up in elevation.

This also lines up with the worse time for the year for moose/vehicle collisions, I see muddy tracks at the end of my road everymorning next to a major highway and they can pop up out of nowhere.

The ticks are also out although they typically are less of an issue in the main part of whites but can be bad down in the valleys.

This upcoming weekend is victoria day weekend in Canada which is the equivalent of our memorial day weekend. Canadians typically flood the trails and occupy many of the accomodations. The wood have a few days to recover and then its the US memorial day weekend.

Another Kevin
05-17-2013, 09:17
Over to the west here, the blackflies got an early start this year. I was in the Catskills two weekends of the last three and they were murder. Usually their season is a couple of weeks later: Mother brings them and Father takes them away. (Mothers' Day to Fathers' Day is the usual bad time.)

jeffmeh
05-17-2013, 09:34
Picaridin and clothing treated with Permethrin for me. Permethrin treated head net and long pants go on if it is bad enough, but many times I just keep moving and get high enough that the wind makes it more bearable.

I am very pleased with the switch from DEET to Picaridin, as I found the DEET nasty enough that I rarely used it. I'm still stubborn, but not quite as much. :)

lukabrazi
05-17-2013, 12:05
Does an early start for the black flies mean an early end to black fly season?

peakbagger
05-17-2013, 13:52
Buy a lottery ticket, you will have just as good odds of predicting when the black flies will head out, although the mothers day/fathers day guideline works pretty well. Some years the flies move up to the summits and stay for awhile. Up at Baxter, the black fleis can be real fierce until mid July. Those early southbounders get a real chewing sometimes.

Then of course their big cousins, the deer flies show up and DEET or picardin doesnt do much to keep them from buzzing.

I havent used picardin yet, I use the 3M Deet Durathon with controlled release and I find it is more effective for longer than the 100% blends.

Another Kevin
05-17-2013, 17:39
Does an early start for the black flies mean an early end to black fly season?

No. More's the pity.