PDA

View Full Version : Section hiking GA in the summer?

rednekcop
05-17-2013, 21:54
Newbie to the AT, and can't wait until Fall! I'm thinking about section hiking GA in June or July, but wondering about dealing with the summer heat. Am I crazy or is it reasonable?

MuddyWaters
05-17-2013, 22:04
Its possible
Might not be too pleasant, but possible.
NC , TN, and southern VA will be cooler.

moldy
05-18-2013, 07:23
It will be great. If this is a long weekend 3 or 4 day hike you can start at the top of Springer and go to Neel's Gap. Just start at the start, then follow the yellow brick road.

daddytwosticks
05-18-2013, 08:06
You look like you are almost a local. Just check the weather and pick and choose the best times for your section hikes. :)

Coosa
05-18-2013, 10:09
Check these out http://www.atlantatrails.com/category/hiking-trails/appalachian-trail-hiking/

rednekcop
05-18-2013, 10:13
I realize it will be pretty warm, but I want to start at the approach trail work my way north. I was planning to start in the fall, but am getting anxious and don't think I can wait that long! It wouldn't hurt me to sweat off some excess weight either. As long as there is water available, I think I will be ok.

Matthikes
05-18-2013, 11:40
I will probably be out there about the same time trying to section hike Ga as well. I had wanted to be started by now but between rain and the wife's weekend plans I haven't started yet. Maybe I will see you out there.

rednekcop
05-18-2013, 13:00
Do you have a scheduled start date yet? If I can't get a friend of mine motivated, I may need to hook up with someone. I don't feel comfortable heading out alone since this will be my first time on the AT. I am retired and run my own small business, so I am flexible with my schedule. I just need to do some planning as far as a shuttle from NC to the approach trail and so forth.

generoll
05-18-2013, 14:02
you can slack pack all of Georgia. Get a friend to go with you and you can spot your cars.

BigRing
05-18-2013, 15:01
I sectioned hiked from Springer to Unicoi Gap with friends the 3rd week of June Last summer. It was beautiful...we are going to pickup where we left-off and hike to Wayah Gap on June 15th. In addition to our camelbaks, we all brought an extra liter platypus for water....kept hydrated, and took frequent short breaks.....

Chris10
05-18-2013, 15:47
My son and I are sectioning GA up to NOC starting in late June. Being from Savannah, I think we'll be able to handle the heat as well, just as long as we keep hydrated and take enough breaks. The only thing we can't replicate here are the up and down of the mountains.

Matthikes
05-18-2013, 16:32
I don't have a start date, but I won't be doing all of GA in one go. I have to stick with weekends and holidays due to work and such.

rednekcop
05-18-2013, 21:01
NOC? Do you mean NC, or something else? If so, how far are you planning to go?

Matthikes
05-19-2013, 00:32
NOC is the Nantahala Outdoor Center in Walnut, NC

Rain Man
05-19-2013, 22:33
NOC is the Nantahala Outdoor Center in Walnut, NC

Wesser, NC.

Rain:sunMan

Rain Man
05-19-2013, 22:35
Newbie to the AT, and can't wait until Fall! I'm thinking about section hiking GA in June or July, but wondering about dealing with the summer heat. Am I crazy or is it reasonable?

I hiked Springer-to-Neels Gap in '03, from July 31-to-August 3rd. The zipper thermometer on my pack never got above 74 (or was it 78?). Anyway, I was expecting 95 degrees and 95 percent humidity, and it just didn't happen in the mountains. Of course, it could.

Rain:sunMan

SouthernPride
05-19-2013, 22:41
Just stay hydrated. You know, it wasnt that long ago air conditioning was not standard in most southern homes. We had attic fans to circulate air, but for the most part we just played outside and stayed hydrated. Humans are made for the heat, your body has a natural cooling mechanism. Also, think about how you dress, less clothes is not always best. You need to wear a wicking material that uses your sweat to cool your body. Look at how indiginous desert people dress. I'm not saying bundle up, but each layer of their clothing actually acts to cool their body. Take a break during the high sun, plenty of shade on the trail I presume. The heat can be dangerous, but if you drink plenty of water and dont push for 20 mile days - I dont see why its not possible.

rednekcop
05-19-2013, 22:51
Thanks for all the reply's. I am trying to get a friend to go sometime in June. If I can't get him to go, maybe I will hook up with someone on the trail. It would be nice to know there are others out there, since this will be my first AT hike.

Praha4
05-20-2013, 09:20
I've done that section several times in the months of July and August. It can get miserably hot and humid during the summer days, even in the GA mountains, it felt like Florida with temps in the low 90s on a few days. Again it all depends what weather system and front you happen to get on the days you hike. There is one somewhat long stretch with no water available, from Hawk Mtn Shelter to Justis creek as I recall. Make sure you camel up at Hawk Mtn shelter, cuz you have Sassafrass Mt and Justis Mt climbs in that stretch. The forest does help somewhat with shade, but the humidity can get tough too.

On the other hand you might get a cooler front and have cooler, dryer weather. You may get lucky in June and be cooler than July and August. Have a good hike