PDA

View Full Version : another question on the A-sym hammock

MedicineMan
01-01-2003, 12:31
Got the knot down and can get the hammock up in 2 mins now....but a little help on the tarp....it is assymetrical too and it seems that either way I set it up there is a gap to the sleeper which would allow rain in if driven at a hard angle-just off to horizontal...
any clues?

jlb2012
01-01-2003, 12:48
The knots that hold the tarp to the main line can slide up or down the line - try adjusting the position of those knots and see if you get the coverage that you want. Recently I helped another hiker with the same problem and that was what it turned out to be.

Cehoffpauir
02-22-2004, 16:17
Got the knot down and can get the hammock up in 2 mins now....but a little help on the tarp....it is assymetrical too and it seems that either way I set it up there is a gap to the sleeper which would allow rain in if driven at a hard angle-just off to horizontal...
any clues?

I've found that the lower I tie out both sides of the tarp, the better this centers the tarp over the hammock. In driving rain I imagine "battenning down" the tarp.

hikerltwt
02-22-2004, 19:51
I used the A-Sym from Glasgow Va. to Katahdin. When you have wind driven rain you simply lower the the sides. I reccomend running your tarp guy lines out to a treking pole or tree and then run the line from the pole to the stake using a taut line hitch. This allows quick adjustmets to be made if the weather goes south in the dark. Use a 24 inch pad and you'll not have cold spots from wrap around compression. You also must think like you are tarping when you choose a site. Well, in actuality you are tarping, just suspended above the ground.

hikerltwt
02-22-2004, 20:00
The tarp only fits one way. Take the attachment ring on a short side of the tarp in your right hand and the guy line in your left hand. Attach the clip to the lashing on the suspension line to your right when facing the hammock. Transfer the tarp over the hammock while holding the guy line in your hand and attach the second clip to the left suspension line. Tension the tarp to the desired specs. and sleep away. If you put the tarp on backwards YOU WILL GET VERY WET! I accidentaly did this in Pa. when I was, well, green blazing a bit and ended up making a mad dash to the shelter at about three am. Operator error though it was the only time I got wet in that hammock and 2003 rained a little bit!

Yo-YO