PDA

View Full Version : WALKING WITH FREEDOM available at AMAZON now

Lion King
07-12-2005, 14:09
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000A5N4GW/qid%3D1121012166/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/102-8588697-6167349 (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000A5N4GW/qid%3D1121012166/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/102-8588697-6167349)

Thanks for those who have seen and enjoyed it.
I heard it played well in Duncannon this weekend, wish I could have been there.

LK

Panzer1
07-12-2005, 21:17
I added it to my wish list for Christmas/Birthday. Maybe someone will get it for me.

Panzer

Youngblood
07-13-2005, 12:29
I saw it earlier this year and really enjoyed it. Great work Lion King, kept my attention.

Youngblood

Lone Wolf
07-13-2005, 13:03
It seems only one person thinks WWF sucks. And that person claims to have been a movie critic. Movie critics suck. Mostly anal know-it-alls. Good job King. Blue-blazing rules! :D

Lion King
07-15-2005, 16:37
http://pro.imdb.com/title/tt0469220/maindetails

cool link.

TJ aka Teej
07-15-2005, 17:21
Haven't seen this DVD yet, but I was wondering - do people who use WhiteBlaze to sell their products contribute any money back to the site?

Lion King
07-18-2005, 12:59
Haven't seen this DVD yet, but I was wondering - do people who use WhiteBlaze to sell their products contribute any money back to the site?If you ever get a chance to watch the film, or to buy it you will see that at the end credits we are in fact giving money to the ATC, the American Heritage Trails groups and otehr outdoor companies to support what I love.

I havent 'made' a penny.
If you want a budget let me know.
$3000 for the camera
$4000 for a MAC G4 for editing
and that doesnt include trip costs, duplication, packaging, etc...
the costs go on from there....

Plus, over the years I have done buttloads of Trail magic, not limited to having well over 100 hikers through one season stay at my house in Lincoln NH.
If they want this off the site they may remove it, I posted it here because a lot of hikers ask me for the info and I have no way of contacting them all.

Lilred
07-18-2005, 13:14
THanks Lion King, Great Movie. Love the contrast of the bears, really well done. Love the music. I was at the showing at Trail Days and the crowd gave a long, rip-roaring, standing ovation. :clap :clap

Cookerhiker
07-18-2005, 13:33
I also saw the film at Trail Days and thoroughly enjoyed it. Good job LK. Although the Trail Days crowds were obviously part of the hiking community, I suspect the film should also have great appeal to the general public in the enticing yet realistic way it portrays the Trail experience.

The General
07-18-2005, 13:38
Lion King, kindly gave some of us a preview last year on a rainy day at the Hikers Welcome in Glencliffe. Ive ordered mine and hope to get it in Baghdad this week it's the nearest I'm going to get to the Trail this year. But will be back across the pond in 2006, Wife or divorce willing :)

Happy Trails to all

The General

Mountain Dew
07-18-2005, 13:51
Geez, L.Wolf you never fail to amaze me at how easily you will bad mouth a friend just to do your favorite thing in the whole world...."stir the $hit pot".

I saw the film and was amazed at just how many places and important people were all together left out of the film. Miss Janet, Bob/Pat Peoples, Kincora, Lone Wolf, Elmer/his hostel, 99% of all outfitters, Tom Levarde/Rob from Daulton, Desparado (37 years doing trail magic) and on and on were all left out. I know that not all places and people can make the film, but barely a fraction of what makes up the A.T. experience was shown in Walking With Freedom. Here's three things I liked about the video... 1. The music was pretty good. 2. He showed the bad weather that we had that year. 3. He actually walked 3/4 of the trail that year where as most A.T. film makers don't. AND...here are three things I didn't like about the video...1. Not a single interview with even one of the many well known hostel owners or much footage of hostels in general. 2. The video only showed about 10 hikers over and over. 3. The Springer footage combined with the Katahdin footage make it seem as if he walked 2,174 miles whether that was the intent or not.

That's just my two cents though...

My favorite A.T. film is 10 million Steps by Lynn Wheldon. He interviews hikers and really gets inside their head about how they are feeling.

trippclark
07-18-2005, 14:10
If they want this off the site they may remove it, I posted it here because a lot of hikers ask me for the info and I have no way of contacting them all.

One of the things that I turn to Whiteblaze for is information on the products and services related to the AT and hiking. Whiteblaze helped me find "Walking With Freedom," "2000 Miles to Maine," Appalachian Impressions," my Jack's R Better "Nest" (all of which I have purchased) and has also directed me to free things like trailcast.com. I am glad that a forum exists where we can learn about the availability of these types of things. I am not at all offended by a little bit of marketing by cottage outfits so long as it does not get out of hand.

Thanks Lion King.

Tripp

Nean
07-18-2005, 15:14
I understand the original cut was much longer, can I get one of those LK!!

Lone Wolf is Lone Wolf, just like Jack is Jack. Strong feelings yes, hard feelings- I'd hope not.

I think 5 Million Steps is the worst video I've seen, unless you count his other ones!

Love ya Dew, yall better come visit on your way back home!!

Tha Wookie
07-18-2005, 16:48
Geez, L.Wolf you never fail to amaze me at how easily you will bad mouth a friend just to do your favorite thing in the whole world...."stir the $hit pot".

I saw the film and was amazed at just how many places and important people were all together left out of the film. Miss Janet, Bob/Pat Peoples, Kincora, Lone Wolf, Elmer/his hostel, 99% of all outfitters, Tom Levarde/Rob from Daulton, Desparado (37 years doing trail magic) and on and on were all left out. I know that not all places and people can make the film, but barely a fraction of what makes up the A.T. experience was shown in Walking With Freedom. Here's three things I liked about the video... 1. The music was pretty good. 2. He showed the bad weather that we had that year. 3. He actually walked 3/4 of the trail that year where as most A.T. film makers don't. AND...here are three things I didn't like about the video...1. Not a single interview with even one of the many well known hostel owners or much footage of hostels in general. 2. The video only showed about 10 hikers over and over. 3. The Springer footage combined with the Katahdin footage make it seem as if he walked 2,174 miles whether that was the intent or not.

My favorite A.T. film is 10 million Steps by Lynn Wheldon. He interviews hikers and really gets inside their head about how they are feeling.
You speak to yourself through other people.

TJ aka Teej
07-18-2005, 18:10
Haven't seen this DVD yet, but I was wondering - do people who use WhiteBlaze to sell their products contribute any money back to the site?Sorry that my question struck a raw nerve with you, Lion King. While your reply was interesting, it didn't respond to my question, which was: I'm wondering if people who use WhiteBlaze to sell their products contribute any money back to the site?

Tha Wookie
07-18-2005, 18:22
Sorry that my question struck a raw nerve with you, Lion King. While your reply was interesting, it didn't respond to my question, which was: I'm wondering if people who use WhiteBlaze to sell their products contribute any money back to the site?Quit picking a fight and do something positive besides criticizing others. It's plain what you are implying.

you can order prints of my Oregon Coast Pics at www.thawookie.com (http://www.thawookie.com/). What little money I can spare goes to www.trailjournals.com/westcoast (http://www.trailjournals.com/westcoast). I have never contributed financially to this site. I have contributed a great deal of time to it, however.....:rolleyes:

Lion King's movie rocks!

Thank you movie makers, photographers, writers, musicians, singers, typers, and talkers! I appreciate your time and energy spent bringing the trail to other people.

Carry that light with you; light shine on....

Sly
07-18-2005, 18:48
If you take out the pro. in Lion King's link you don't have to subscribe! ;)

Sly
07-18-2005, 19:07
Waiting for The "Purist Diaries" or "How to Hike and Film the Trail My Way!" :rolleyes:

peter_pan
07-18-2005, 20:19
TJ aka teej,

FTR Jacks R Better is a financial supporter of Whiteblaze and a supporter at Trail Days with booth space for T shirt advertisement and sales.

Pan

grizzlyadam
07-18-2005, 20:21
I reckon I may as well follow Tha Wookie's lead on this one and jump on the bandwagon here as well:

I currently have a two month showing of some of my photography at the West End Bakery (http://www.onhaywood.com/westendbakery/) in Asheville, NC. The walls will be adorned from now until September 5, so if you're in the area feel free to stop by.

If you can't make it to Asheville, please feel free to browse my website (http://www.wacphotography.com). I am in the process of uploading my recent Mountains to Sea Trail adventure as well as my Arizona wanderings, so check back often.

I am a poor man, but I give what I can where I can.

Sly
07-18-2005, 22:45
I currently have a two month showing of some of my photography at the West End Bakery (http://www.onhaywood.com/westendbakery/) in Asheville, NC. The walls will be adorned from now until September 5, so if you're in the area feel free to stop by.

Hey Adam,

You really have some stunning photography. I'll try to make it over to the bakery to check it out.

BTW, was "Down the Valley" taken in Bishops Hollow? I always like that brief, 200 yards of trail prior to the roller coaster south of Moreland Gap Shelter.

Mountain Dew
07-18-2005, 23:41
Wookie, I find your mutterings humerous. "speak to yourself through other people".... Great one ...considering it makes absolutely zero sense.

trippclark
07-19-2005, 08:59
Sorry that my question struck a raw nerve with you, Lion King. While your reply was interesting, it didn't respond to my question, which was: I'm wondering if people who use WhiteBlaze to sell their products contribute any money back to the site?

Hmmm, even though this is punctuated as a question, it is REALLY a statement, not a question . . . "I'm wondering if . . ." is a statement. It simply indicates that you are thinking about something. It neither requests nor requires a response. A question would be, "Do people who use Whiteblaze . . .?" :)

Frosty
07-19-2005, 09:34
Sorry that my question struck a raw nerve with you, Lion King. While your reply was interesting, it didn't respond to my question, which was: I'm wondering if people who use WhiteBlaze to sell their products contribute any money back to the site?Umm, there isn't a question here, TJ, but within you statement is an implied criticism of LK, ATTROLL, and all the small gear manufacturers that have been so benficial to thruhikers. Let's not attack people who sell gear and make them not want to post here. I like to hear about AT goods and services.

I don't care for it when someone's first post is a list of gear for sale, or a link to a store selling gear, but WWF is clearly different. Whether you like the movie or not:

a) WWF is clearly of interest to the AT/WB community as we discuss several AT DVDs all the time, not just LK's

b) LK did not join WB for the purpose of selling a DVD.

c) LK is a long and valued member of Whiteblaze.

I remember why some people went ballistic when Warren Doyle posted something from his ATI once, and never understood it.

I don't know why people get upset over others trying to make a living doing things related to the trail. I heard about the Hiker Hostel here, and the Hike Inn, and the Packa, and Dancing Light Gear, and The Underwear Guys and I apologize to others but my mind draws a blank. I don't buy from everyone and don't like everyone's product and I don't feel bad giving an honest if negative review of a product I didn't care for, but I LIKE having regular people making money from hiking. Provide a good product and let us know about it.Take some business from the corporate giants.

Tha Wookie
07-19-2005, 09:43
I remember why some people went ballistic when Warren Doyle posted something from his ATI once, and never understood it.

The root is jealously. The shadow of greed. The shadow of fear.

I can understand people being critical of blatant spamming, but LK is part of our community. I hiked miles with him in 2001 during my AT thru. He's a good guy with a true passion for LD hiking, and he wants to share it.

After watching his video multiple times, I'd say the guy deserves a lot more than not even breaking even.

Is there a "Community goods and services" (or something tither) thread?

Tha Wookie
07-19-2005, 09:45
Wookie, I find your mutterings humerous. "speak to yourself through other people".... Great one ...considering it makes absolutely zero sense.
Of course you do. That's all right. It took me about 6 years to understand it. Chew on it for a little while, then forget about it. It will come back to you....

"You speak to yourself through other people"

Lilred
07-19-2005, 11:24
Of course you do. That's all right. It took me about 6 years to understand it. Chew on it for a little while, then forget about it. It will come back to you....

"You speak to yourself through other people"

Tha Wookie,
Does the meaning of that phrase have something to do with.... hearing only what you want to hear? :confused:

Nean
07-19-2005, 11:37
Is that anything like that there song,,,,and in the end, the Love you send, has all been meant, for you

Nearly Normal
07-19-2005, 12:46
I ordered a copy last week. Seems like I'll have to wait untill mid-August for shipment.
From what I hear it'll be worth it.
pete

Buckingham
07-19-2005, 12:52
Is that anything like that there song,,,,and in the end, the Love you send, has all been meant, for you
I thought it was, "and in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make."

Lion King
07-19-2005, 13:07

You and Jack...HYOH

anyway.

I INTENTIONALLY left out all Hostel owners, being all the stupid ass politics and warfare verbal; and other crap that go on every year within the community, and that includes hikers (YES a lot of them you hang out with regularly)
I have footage of Nimblewill and other well known hikers, and a few hostel owners...you guys werent in the editing room so you have no idea of what I was doing.
I left Miss J out AT HER REQUEST, I didnt even film my best friend PACKRAT, because of the thing was I was trying to show the emotional side of the trip, the true feelings, ups and downs, and I could really care less what anyone thinks of how I hiked. Now the Hostel owners, All those things you want to see are in APPALACHIAN IMPRESSIONS, another fine film that goes that route...I choose a different path, and I am happier for it...I did a film that shows a different side, I say to everyone IT IS NOT A HISTORY OF< A HOW TO, if you want that, make one for yourself, I wanted to create something that was alive, and I think I did ok.

Like the film or not, doenst matter to me within anything.
I did it because I wanted to share the two things I love the most with others, making films and hiking, and try to create something new that didnt have a negative impact, but as with all things, you will always have a few people who will try to find the negative crap even on the most positive of things and drag it through the dirt.

Hey, I never make claims about how i hike, although somne people out there go nuts trying to convince others I have...check the ATC, 2000, 2001, 2003, all years I went from GA to ME, (HYMOH) I NEVER sent in a paper claiming to be a thruhiker...man, I love the trail and the experiance and MOST of the people, and the sad thing is, there are so many people out here who have to be the center of attention that they will happily bad mouth anyone and everyone in the process.

Politics are for suckers, leave it at home, out here the personal side of things is what is important...the human trails, and thats what I love, Im sorry if it doenst suit you or some of your legendary friends, but I never was making this to attract those kinds of things, or people, I was making it to show the emotions, thats all.

Judgements and hatred sicken me, and I hate to see it is a constant thing out here even with people constantly trying to control others hikes, films, or what have you.
I am glad you liked some of it, but as I stated, it wasnt supposed to be about all those things, if you want a personal DVD of those things to rock you to sleep at night, I will make you one up, I have the footage. PLENTY of it.
And the reason it showed the same people is because I was with the same people almost the whole trip...is that all that unusual?

again I am glad you liked some of it.

Mountain Dew
07-19-2005, 17:27
I really hate leaving long drawn out posts on WB, but I have no choice as your post about my opinions of your film colored outside the lines and even implied that I say/think things that I don't. You imply that I'm attacking you for hiking the way you do, but that in fact isn't true. If you are indeed so comfortable with it then why feel the need to talk about HYOH SO much in your response when I said nothing negative about the way you hike(d).

Why do you even bring up Jacks name in your post ? There is no need for paranoid comments on this thread. I can freely think for myself thanks.

I fully understand the intentions you had in making your film. Emotion of a long distance hiker. I knew that when I said that I was amazed at how many places and people were left out. I just spoke to Miss Janet and she said that she never told you to leave her out of your film. Perhaps you are having a laps in memory. Her second comment to me was close to this... "Nor do I really care about being in A.T. films...it's just not my thing"...

Lion King, "Hey, I never make claims about how i hike, although somne people out there go nuts trying to convince others I have...check the ATC, 2000, 2001, 2003, all years I went from GA to ME, (HYMOH) I NEVER sent in a paper claiming to be a thruhiker...man, I love the trail and the experiance and MOST of the people, and the sad thing is, there are so many people out here who have to be the center of attention that they will happily bad mouth anyone and everyone in the process." --- I could totally respect those statements *if they were totally true. When we first met in 2003 you told me that you had several hikes of the A.T. under your belt. Numerous hikers in '03 related similar story's at shelters of having heard you make this claim. Hikers this year, knowing I thru-hiked in 2003, have made similar comments of how you told them you have thru-hiked the A.T. numerous times. When you came into Stratton I think it was by car I never cared nor commented to you as we ate breakfast about how you hike. Think back to most of the people I hiked with in 2003. Our group of hikers was by far the biggest group and at one point left out of Damascus 25 strong. Most of this group was blue, yellow, or (both) blazers. They were and still are my closest A.T. friends. Once again...i never brought or bad mouthed how you hike in my last post, but I am simply replying to your words back to me.

Lion King, "I am glad you liked some of it, but as I stated, it wasnt supposed to be about all those things, if you want a personal DVD of those things to rock you to sleep at night, I will make you one up, I have the footage. PLENTY of it.
And the reason it showed the same people is because I was with the same people almost the whole trip...is that all that unusual?"---Another attack for giving my opinion ? Juvenile my friend ! I liked more than some of the film. I actually liked alot of it, but I am intitled to my opinion especially when this topic is brought up on WB. I'll pass on the personal DVD to "rock me to sleep". I have tons of footage from that year as well as this year. Remember I carried a camcorder for 2,174 miles that year ? I'm glad you made a movie that shows the emotional side of a long distance hike. That same goal will also play a role in my film, but I am simply going to add the hostels, legends,many more hikers that people knew, more trail towns, the history of the A.T. etc. in an attempt to show people that the trail isn't as small as just hikers emotions. I want to encompass all that the A.T. is and about.

Lion King, "And the reason it showed the same people is because I was with the same people almost the whole trip...is that all that unusual?"---VERY unuasual. In fact I'd goes as far as to say that it is virtually impossible to hike with the same small group (about 10) the entire A.T. especially considering yellowing blazing often splits up groups if even for short periods of time. BUT in the end if that is what you chose to do then it IS/WAS your film King.

I'm not sure why my opinions of your film ( GOOD and bad ) brought about such a response from you that was filled with underlying anger and half truths. I have nothing against you or your film. I have told people that they should go buy the film even before I saw it because I had heard so many good things about it. The sound track was the best ever on an A.T. film in my opinion. You showed how we got tortured with rain that year...awesome !!! You interview a couple of hikers which was also cool. I've said all of this in public and on here before. I have nothing against you, but if I am attacked for my opinion of a film in which I say good things about it then I'll bite back. Know that. This isn't personal, but comments such as "rock me to sleep"..."your legendary friends" only serve to inflame the situation.

HYOH Lion King and know that what you say to new hikers eventually gets around to those who know better.

Tha Wookie
07-19-2005, 17:29
that is right on the first level (partial latent meaning) of this multi-level koan. But it's not really about love, per se... although the word love does describe it partly.

You really should just think about it from time to time.... let go of linear thinking... when it naturally enters your mind, listen to what it says...

Mags
07-19-2005, 17:41
You really should just think about it from time to time.... let go of linear thinking... when it naturally enters your mind, listen to what it says...

What usually enters my mind involves a beer, a burger and some thick steak fries.

I'll glady listen to that thought!

But, I'm a simple minded person...

:)

Frosty
07-19-2005, 17:53
...let go of linear thinking... .Hooray twisted, convoluted and disjointed thinking! I could be a genius in that universe :)

Heater
07-19-2005, 18:09
let go of linear thinking...
But... What if we are talking about a parallel universe? :datz

TJ aka Teej
07-19-2005, 18:55
Hmmm, even though this is punctuated as a question, it is REALLY a statement, not a question
Punctuation is for editors, not writers :D

Let's not attack people
I agree Frosty. And let's not read 'attack' into every uncomfortable question.

JoeHiker
07-20-2005, 14:07
http://pro.imdb.com/title/tt0469220/maindetails

cool link.
Doesn't work unless you're an IMDB Pro subscriber though.