PDA

View Full Version : patience /not

Hairbear
05-18-2013, 09:52
I should be on trail right now ,but instead im fighting bulging discs from a car wreck. Any stories of returning to what you could do after disc surgery? Maybe even warnings of not getting back to what you could do before.

Mr. Bumpy
05-18-2013, 13:00
A year ago (May 2012) I had a c-spine disc injury and have been lucky. I have managed to stay away from the mri machine and surgery. For me it took rest for several months then strengthening with free weights. Diligence with dead lifts, squats, presses, and cleans form the core of my three times weekly workouts and have set me right. Coaching from an olympic lifter was good money spent, and attention to form is critical. I still have numbness in the extremities, but no pain. If I lay off for more than a week the tingling turns to pain. I started backpacking again in January with no problems. The bonus of doing squats is that now I can pump water all day long squatting over a stream with no problems at all.

Backs are strong, not fragile. For many, once one gets the bulging/swelling/pressure under control, strength can be a long term solution.

Good luck.

Ktaadn
05-18-2013, 13:32
Stick to the physical therapy. That is the only thing that keeps the disc pain away for me.

PD230SOI
05-18-2013, 13:45
I'm a strong believer in PT. r u still in the Midwest? I know a great guy in VA, but that way be useless to you.

i have had several, seemingly total failures, rescued by good PT.

MuddyWaters
05-18-2013, 13:48
My back problems today are due to lifting heavy weights, too heavy, for too long.
Even when I weighed a muscular 210, I still had the bones of a 155 lb person. It just couldnt take it.

What helps my back stay feeling good, keeps things in place, and prevents a sudden "twinge" of pain that will sideline me for 3-4weeks, is doing hyperextension on a roman chair, without weight. Working thru the full range from curled under, to arched as high as possible.

Hairbear
05-18-2013, 19:03
Sounds hopeful so far. Ive lost 35 lbs ,and have been doing what I can to exercise. Thanks for the input so far.

Alligator
05-18-2013, 23:19
I had a microdiscectomy performed several years ago, maybe five now. I've also had a torn rotator cuff repaired close to two years ago and two repair jobs down on my heart in the last three years(same procedure twice, appears fixed). Keep your chin up, many times back issues will resolve it just takes a some time.

I currently am cleared for almost all activities, I am not supposed to downhill ski or ride horses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDkVQvhZx04&feature=youtube_gdata_player

scooterdogma
05-19-2013, 08:15
Do what you can with PT, then consider being kind to your back with an AARN pack. Takes ALL the weight off neck & shoulders, and is pretty handy with the "balance pockets" in front. I survived a nasty car wreck, but was afraid backpacking was off the list with chronic injuries. This pack and hammocks made it possible to return to backpacking. I have " recruited " several people to return to the woods with a happy smile on their faces and a AARN on their back. I am not in any way affiliated with this company, just a slightly crazy true believer who is very happy to be back in the woods. Good luck with your PT.

LostandFound
05-19-2013, 09:16
I'm doing 6 days of hiking, with 17 y/o daughter next week. Late last year, she was hit by a drunk driver & had ACL surgery. This will be her 1st backpacking trip, and she could really use it. She's been through alot. She has been training, and her MD & PT said she is ready. We are taking it super slow. Basically doing two 3-day trips with a hotel stay in between. If things don't seem right, we will cancel the 2nd half. Low MPD @ about 5. One day, we will do 9 & one day we do 3.5. It's the best plan I can come up with to safely satisfy her physical needs & her need to "get away" for an entire week.

Water Rat
05-19-2013, 09:38
I should be on trail right now ,but instead im fighting bulging discs from a car wreck. Any stories of returning to what you could do after disc surgery? Maybe even warnings of not getting back to what you could do before.

Patience is the hardest thing to have when the weather is just right, you want to be on the trail, and you have an injury. :(

Every bit of exercise you do...and even the rest on the days when you just don't feel up to exercising...puts you that much closer to your goal. Doctors and physical therapists always caution people they might not be able to do the things they were able to do before they had surgery for the (pick the injury). They have to tell people that, so the people don't think the surgery will magically cure everything. If people think that, then they don't do the "hard work" needed to ensure the surgery is a success. The truth is that people hate physical therapy. It hurts, it's no fun, and people tend to only do it so they can be cleared by their doctors so they can go back to their normal lives.

Time and patience are not always easy things to have. But, if you put in the time to build up muscles and get in shape now, that will only help you fight off the pain later. Even the little things will help you get to your end goal. It sounds like you are on the right track (Congratulations!!) toward getting in shape and building up the muscles to help protect your neck/back. Just remind yourself that you might not be able to do things the way you did them before, but maybe you can do them a bit differently and still have the same end results. The body is an amazing thing. With the right balance of rest and exercise and knowledge about your injury and attitude... You have a great shot at being able to do a lot of what you "used to do."

When you are physically ready to get back on the trail, if the pack you are wearing no longer feels right - Find a pack that fits you better now and is more comfortable. Start there, then worry about pack weight, etc. If you did not previously use trekking poles then give them a go. They tend to make a person walk a bit straighter. That might help. There are many tricks and tools you can use to help you find what will work best for you now and will get you back out on the trail.