PDA

View Full Version : Maryland Bug Question

squilax
05-18-2013, 11:49
If this is not the correct forum for this, then please more to where it is appropriate...

I have hiked the Maryland section of the trail in spring, fall, and even winter but never in mid-summer. A buddy and I will be doing PenMar to Harpers Ferry beginning July 13 this year.

He would like to know what is the bug situation that time of year?

Cookerhiker
05-19-2013, 15:05
I lived in MD for 37 years but like you, didn't hike the AT there in the summer. I doubt that the bugs are as bothersome as New England but you'll probably have mosquitoes at night so I'd sleep in a tent or bug-protected hammock.

For me, the larger concern for MD in July would be the heat but since you didn't ask, I guess that's irrelevant.

johnnybgood
05-19-2013, 15:21
The searing heat with normally dry conditions for mid July make for buggy hikes just about anywhere along the east coast.
One positive so far, the bugs haven't been a problem this spring.

Cool,wet weather has kept them from being a menace.

squilax
05-19-2013, 15:30
Thanks for the responses. Thanks also for the mention of the heat. My buddy is from Texas so heat is normal for him.

Cookerhiker
05-19-2013, 16:13
.... Thanks also for the mention of the heat. My buddy is from Texas so heat is normal for him.

LOL, he'll probably think it's cool!:cool:

On one of the mid-day, treeless stretches on my Colorado Trail thruhike, we were grousing about the intense sun when we met a couple from Texas who were enjoying every minute of the "cool" temps compared to their home.

Demeter
05-19-2013, 20:45
Mid-July in the Mid-Atlantic can be ok or bad, but depends on wind and moisture. Definitely prepare for ticks, plan on mosquitos and biting midges. Plan on really high humidity and heat. Try to hike early and late. Last year we had a lot of over 90* days, so hopefully this year will be cooler :)

TheYoungOne
05-19-2013, 22:35
I hike PA a lot and since MD and PA are neighbors I might be able to shed some light. The bug are not that bad if you use bug spray with deet in the moring before you start your hike, and a bit at night if you decide to hang out at sunset and don't have a fire going. Mosquitos and ticks are always an issue. Do tick checks before you go to sleep. There is lyme in MD too.

FarmerChef
05-20-2013, 11:39
Mid-July in the Mid-Atlantic can be ok or bad, but depends on wind and moisture. Definitely prepare for ticks, plan on mosquitos and biting midges. Plan on really high humidity and heat. Try to hike early and late. Last year we had a lot of over 90* days, so hopefully this year will be cooler :)

+1

I'll only add that gnats can also be a nuisance. If they're especially bad, try a headnet.

MDSection12
05-20-2013, 12:00
Bugs get bad at times... But from what I understand there is no comparison to the black flies in New England. It's just the typical gnats, mosquitos, and ticks.

Captn
05-27-2013, 22:42
What daytime and nighttime temperatures can we expect?

Cookerhiker
05-28-2013, 19:41
What daytime and nighttime temperatures can we expect?

Like all of the mid-Atlantic states (PA, NJ, NY), the AT in MD is low elevation so you don't get the benefit of cooler temperatures. Daytime highs could reach the 90s in afternoon, even on the ridgetop. Figure on at least the mid-80s.

It is extremely unlikely that nighttime temperatures will drop below 60 - they might stay in the low 70s. And the humidity rises at night so it's not too comfortable.

Captn
05-28-2013, 21:01
Low 70's? That sounds awesome! Here in Huston July nighttime temps are usually high nineties with humidity so thick you can slice it like a loaf of bread.

Cookerhiker
05-28-2013, 22:15
I think you'll find MD quite pleasant.:)