PDA

View Full Version : Photos from the Whites

chomp
07-12-2005, 16:20
Well, I have a bunch of photos from this summer that I just uploaded and I figured I would share. The first album involved two hikes. On Saturday, VSA and I hiked up the AT on the Rattle River Trail, and then headed over to Mt Shelbourne Moriah, just about a mile off the AT. Rattle River is a beautiful trail, and S-Moriah is even a nicer mountain. On Sunday, we headed to Crawford Notch for a hike up Alavon, Field and Tom.

http://gallery.backcountry.net/chomp-shelbourne05

The next album is from a long weekend that I spend in Baxter State Park. We camped up in the northern part of the park on South Branch Pond. On Saturday, I hiked South Branch Mountain and took out the kayaks a fair bit. Sunday, unfortunately, I was extremly sick. But I bounced back on Monday to hike Katahdin up and down via the Hunt Trail (AT). No thru-hikers this early, however.

http://gallery.backcountry.net/chomp-baxter-southbranch

Finally, the latest album includes a hike up Mt Carragain, which is just south of Crawford Notch, and a mountain biking trip to East Burke, VT and Burke Mountain. THe views from Carragain are beyond compare, and from the summit, it is possible to see 43 of NHs 48 4000 footers. It was spectacular, and you could almost literally draw a line from where the AT hits Moosilaukie over to the northern Presidentials.

http://gallery.backcountry.net/chomp-carragain05

jeepcj258
07-12-2005, 18:22
Beautiful pictures! Thanks for posting!

Sly
07-12-2005, 19:33
Great pictures Chomp!

Hey, have you even done the Carter-Moriah Trail, off the AT that goes from Moriah to Gorham, and the Mahoosuc Trail that leads out of town and hooks up with the AT again on Mt Hayes? How were they? Anyone?

I'm definitely taking those if I hike that section of country again.

Roland
07-12-2005, 21:03
Hey, have you even done the Carter-Moriah Trail, off the AT that goes from Moriah to Gorham, and the Mahoosuc Trail that leads out of town and hooks up with the AT again on Mt Hayes? How were they? Anyone?

I'm definitely taking those if I hike that section of country again. Sly,

The Carter-Moriah Trail into Gorham is a popular option. The distance from the summit of Moriah to Gorham is 4.5 miles. The trail is well graded, with viewpoints on Mt. Surprise, approximately midway. Water is scarce. This commonly used blue-blaze leads directly into Gorham, at the dead-end of Bangor Street. A footbridge crosses over the Peabody River and leads to the Town Common, very near The Barn. This option saves a 3 or 4 mile roadwalk/hitch from the Rattle River trailhead on Route 2.

The Mahoosuc Trail, from Gorham to Mt. Hayes is a less popular option. Perhaps because hikers have arranged a shuttle during their hostel stay, I see very few AT hikers climb out of Gorham via the Mahoosuc Trail.

The guide book indicates 3.1 miles from Gorham to the summit of Hayes; approximately the same distance to the summit if one followed the AT from Shelburne. However, as a result of a relo around a powerhouse, the distance to Mt. Hayes has increased by nearly 1 mile. Water is available on the trail.

Roland

chomp
07-12-2005, 21:08
Yea, I have done both sections. Carter-Moriah from Moriah down to Gorham is just beautiful. The trail goes over Mt Suprise and over ledges about half way down the mountain. At the bottom, it drops you into a residential area, where you can take an old suspension bridge across a river and head into town.

The old AT goes all the way through Gorham to the old trail bridge. There, the trail goes under the bridge. Now here is where I dont have any new info. The trail USED to go over a small dam and then head up the mountain. However, the damn dam owners took away permission (one of the reasons that the trail was relo'ed), so there is apparently a little bit of a hastle to get into the woods. But the trail is still there, and the relo around the dam is supposedly marked.

Be careful! If you take this trail up to Mt Hayes, the natural direction that you will go is SOUTH on the AT. I knew this when I hiked the trail and STILL almost went south. Make sure to check your maps, check the signs, and double check before leaving the summit. Its a great route.

Sly
07-12-2005, 21:09
Thanks Roland, it looks like a great alternative especially if you want to connect your steps and without having to hitchhike.

This appears to me as though it may have been official AT at one point. Any idea? I like hiking old AT!

chomp
07-12-2005, 21:12
This appears to me as though it may have been official AT at one point. Any idea? I like hiking old AT!
It is definitely the old AT. In 1999, you could still see the old blazes (browned out) on the telephone poles as you walked through town.

Roland
07-12-2005, 21:23
Thanks Roland, it looks like a great alternative especially if you want to connect your steps and without having to hitchhike.

Sly,

There may be some Trail historians here, more qualified to answer this question than I.

My earliest recollection of the AT (1972) is that the Trail followed the Peabody Brook Trail out of Shelburne. In 1976, the Trail was moved to it's current location; the Centennial Trail. To my knowledge, the trail has not passed through Gorham in my lifetime.

Roland

neo
07-12-2005, 21:37
great pics,i really enjoyed them:cool: neo

TJ aka Teej
07-12-2005, 23:21
Chomp, great photos - as always!

Sly
07-13-2005, 00:46
Sly,

There may be some Trail historians here, more qualified to answer this question than I.

My earliest recollection of the AT (1972) is that the Trail followed the Peabody Brook Trail out of Shelburne. In 1976, the Trail was moved to it's current location; the Centennial Trail. To my knowledge, the trail has not passed through Gorham in my lifetime.
Roland

Thanks Roland. It certainly looks like it would be ideal AT. No hitching, no road walking with a hostel at either end of town and a chinese restaurant in the middle. Mai tais, little umbrellas!