PDA

View Full Version : Dried Green Tomatoes

WingedMonkey
05-18-2013, 17:19
I have a supply of green tomatoes. Before I give it a try in the dehydrator, and perhaps waste my time and my tomatoes, I was wondering if anyone has done them.

What were results? What did you use them for?

Dogwood
05-18-2013, 23:31
Yeah. I even dried some myself in the oven. Sliced thin. Placed in oven on about 200*. Sprinkle with dried basil, rosemary, and sea salt. I saw someone on the PCT who were noshing store bought ones(which I've never seen since) which were pretty yummy. Kale chips are super easy too and a FRACTION of the store bought ones. For the Kale chips I rip up kale leaves into large bite size pieces, sprinkle with EVOO and sea salt and place in the oven on 200* for a bit. Ooh la la la. Both the tomatoes and kale are great with hummus on the trail. Buy the dried hummus and reconstitute it on trail. Mix the reconstituted hummus(all it takes is some spring water) with some EVOO, a pinch of red pepper flakes, sea salt, and some dried or fresh chives(green scallions work in a pinch). Everyone will want to know what you're eating. Beats the same old same old Snickers and Pop Tarts crap.

Feral Bill
05-18-2013, 23:49
Yeah. I even dried some myself in the oven. Sliced thin. Placed in oven on about 200*. Sprinkle with dried basil, rosemary, and sea salt. I saw someone on the PCT who were noshing store bought ones(which I've never seen since) which were pretty yummy. Kale chips are super easy too and a FRACTION of the store bought ones. For the Kale chips I rip up kale leaves into large bite size pieces, sprinkle with EVOO and sea salt and place in the oven on 200* for a bit. Ooh la la la. Both the tomatoes and kale are great with hummus on the trail. Buy the dried hummus and reconstitute it on trail. Mix the reconstituted hummus(all it takes is some spring water) with some EVOO, a pinch of red pepper flakes, sea salt, and some dried or fresh chives(green scallions work in a pinch). Everyone will want to know what you're eating. Beats the same old same old Snickers and Pop Tarts crap. You had me until the last sentence.:)

Dogwood
05-19-2013, 00:17
LOL. I knew someone would say that. It's a sacrilege to defame the Holy Trinity - Ramen, Snickers, and Pop Tarts.

Heck if you like FB nosh a Snickers for desert after the main course - dried green tomatoes and Kale chips.

Dogwood
05-19-2013, 00:27
dessert dessert

Feral Bill
05-19-2013, 02:32
I've got plenty of room for all of it, and more.

Hairbear
05-19-2013, 14:04
Ive tried it ,but found the taste unapealing compared to dried ripe tomatoes. You may like them though.

Hairbear
05-19-2013, 14:06
I dont care for fried green tomatoes either ,that would be a good test for your taste. good luck.

Dogwood
05-19-2013, 14:48
I almost made that mental error too. We're talking about DRIED green tomatoes not FRIED green tomatoes. Aside from the texture and color of dried green tomatoes they, like some other foods, derive some(much?) of their flavor by you imparting it to them. With an iota of cooking creativity you too can find flavors that work for you.