PDA

View Full Version : Equinox Bivy

Twigs
07-12-2005, 17:48
Does anyone have experience with this bivy? It's a great price and the weight is one of the lightest I've seen. Is it too good to be true?

Thanks.

Two Speed
07-12-2005, 18:59
I've got one, but haven't used it in the field yet. I'm playing around with using the bivy with a fleece sleeping bag and a silnylon poncho/tarp as mild weather shelter (definitely NOT for winter hiking anywhere on the AT). If things work out the way I think they will, I should be able to use a 2,000 cubic inch daypack as part of this system.

BTW, my bivy is one of the old, rectangular ones that Equinox no longer shows in their catalog

capoken
08-05-2005, 04:57
I have this bivy. I've only had a chance to use it a few nights but I like it a lot. It's as light as they say and a great price. I never had a serious condensation problem so the DWR nylon on top is breathable enough. I'd say it's about the perfect bivy for use with a tarp and some bug protection when required. I've heard someone say they poked a hole in the bottom so maybe some kind of groundcloth is still necessary - or just be careful where you lay. OH, one last thing, mine is a left zip - which is fine because so is my 3 season sleeping bag. But double check that before you order. I IMAGINE it would be a pain if you had a left zip bivy and a right zip bag.