PDA

View Full Version : Ticks

BostonBlue
05-19-2013, 00:15
What do you personally use to prevent ticks?

Another Kevin
05-19-2013, 06:12
DEET, permethrin-impregnated clothing, and a nightly inspection. I use the mirror on my compass to see more places, and ask a partner to check the spots I can't (and return the favor).

Old Hillwalker
05-19-2013, 06:13
Pyrethrin, .05 % I work in the woods, off trail in the brush 5 days a week here in Maine. Re-apply every week to three sets of clothing. Never had a tick on me or my clothing since using it. Started using it when I was an AT Corridor Monitor in NH back in 2004.

At my age I don't worry about long term effects, but if I were a young-un, I probably would.

It's expensive to use the premixed stuff from Sawyers or other source, so I mix my own using 10% solution and distilled water. I follow the directions on the container and apply it to my dog's coat. No ticks on him either.

Concentrated solution is available in agricultural, feed supply, livestock supply stores.

I will be applying it to my equipment to counteract bedbugs. before I walk the Camino "Way of St James" this September.

It may take years off my life, but how am I gonna know?

moldy
05-19-2013, 07:28
The US Army at Ft Leonard Wood Mo. with a huge tick problem and a huge number of soldiers "camping out" at it's combat training facility tested every possible avenue when it comes to tick prevention. At the end of the study they concluded that nothing worked. The control groups with nothing applied did just as bad as the various combinations of insect sprays. This is what they now do. "Check yourself for ticks everyday and pull them off"

BostonBlue
05-19-2013, 08:08
The US Army at Ft Leonard Wood Mo. with a huge tick problem and a huge number of soldiers "camping out" at it's combat training facility tested every possible avenue when it comes to tick prevention. At the end of the study they concluded that nothing worked. The control groups with nothing applied did just as bad as the various combinations of insect sprays. This is what they now do. "Check yourself for ticks everyday and pull them off"

What year was this study actually done? They have made a lot of advancements in the last few years.

snorz
05-19-2013, 08:27
In NJ,hikers are reporting alot of ticks. Nothing like sitting around a picnic table& watching people peeling off ticks one after another!EEEEEwWWWWW!

Donde
05-19-2013, 08:34
premtherine on clothe and gear. picaridin on skin.

Donde
05-19-2013, 08:38
What year was this study actually done? They have made a lot of advancements in the last few years.
I would also be curious to hear a citation on that, as it runs counter to what we did in my units, 02-06 time frame.

rusty bumper
05-19-2013, 09:01
Permethrin treated clothing (including hat) and 100% DEET on all exposed skin. Before I started treating my clothes, I discovered several ticks on my belly one day, so I started applying DEET there as well...the little buggers had crawled up my shorts under my t-shirt to get there!

moytoy
05-19-2013, 09:02
This is the latest I can find on the US military and ticks.http://www.army.mil/article/88171/Army_s_new_ACUs_combat_insect_borne_diseases/

bobp
05-19-2013, 09:15
In NJ,hikers are reporting alot of ticks. Nothing like sitting around a picnic table& watching people peeling off ticks one after another!EEEEEwWWWWW!

I'm in NJ, and I can confirm a bumper crop of ticks. It is a funny thing. I've seen Scouts react calmly to rattlesnakes and bears, and the freak out at the sight of a tick.

BostonBlue
05-19-2013, 09:29
This is the latest I can find on the US military and ticks.http://www.army.mil/article/88171/Army_s_new_ACUs_combat_insect_borne_diseases/

Thanks for this info. I read somewhere that it is fatal to some pets so thought I would pass that along if anyone is treating their own clothes, tents, etc.

MuddyWaters
05-19-2013, 10:06
Permethrin.
Treat shoes, socks, gaiters , shorts, underwear, shirt , fleece, hat.
Works for chiggers too

Snowleopard
05-19-2013, 12:33
Thanks for this info. I read somewhere that it is fatal to some pets so thought I would pass that along if anyone is treating their own clothes, tents, etc.
Permethrin in liquid form is dangerous to cats. Once it has dried it's supposed to be safe for them. It's also harmful to aquatic organisms, so be careful not to apply it near bodies of water and be careful disposing of it.

For deer ticks I use long pants treated with permethrin. Walking through long grass I treat shoes, socks and tuck pant legs into socks or use treated gaiters. When mosquitoes or black flies are a problem I also wear a treated long sleeve shirt and have a headnet available.

I came across one military reference that said not to use permethrin on underwear and headbands, probably because there is more exposure to it and less benefit.

There are more permanent permethrin treatments like Insect Shield that last 50 washes, that are incorporated into some clothing; this works but is expensive. You can now get your own clothing treated by Insect Shield so the treatment also lasts 50 washes:
http://www.insectshield.com/PDF/IS%20Your%20Own%20Clothes%20-%20U.S.%20form.pdf

MuddyWaters
05-19-2013, 12:40
Yeah, they say not to treat undergarments. I spray my compression shorts lightly overall, but focus around the leg openings and waistband pretty good. The tight compression shorts totally prevent ticks getting into the nether regions. One less place to have to check.

Nak
05-19-2013, 13:41
FWIW I concur with NJ being the worst last year in ticks. MP 1300-1316 seemed to be the worst according to my notes in my guide. Stopped outside of Branchville and bought a spray can of permethrin at Stokes Forest Sports, just past Gyp's Tavern, maybe a 1/2 mile off the trail. Not 1 problem after that. Good luck

snifur
05-19-2013, 18:47
Eat some garlic clove twice a day. Bathe each night and rub some mint rubbing alcohol on your legs. On my thru the only place i had any ticks on me was the super-fund site in new york. other than that i had none.

moldy
05-19-2013, 20:26
I stand corrected. The study I quoted was 10 years ago and did not include treated clothing. It was only deet and other kinds of body spray. Looks like progress has been made. So at least with ticks the insect repellents that you put on your body still won't work.