PDA

View Full Version : Walk Off The War

BostonBlue
05-19-2013, 06:12
Anyone know how the group of 14 veterans are doing on the AT? How many are still left? I believe that they were going to do the thru in 6 months to raise awareness. I wish them the best. I think that the trail can be the best therapy in the world. I'd like to see this work for a lot of other servicemen.

http://youtu.be/6f14cH9G2-o

moldy
05-19-2013, 07:30
Most of them are wallowing in so much "trail magic" provided by the many local VA organizations that they can't walk from too much eating and drinking.

Sailing_Faith
05-19-2013, 07:59
Most of them are wallowing in so much "trail magic" provided by the many local VA organizations that they can't walk from too much eating and drinking.

As it should be. I wish them well.

BostonBlue
05-19-2013, 08:01
Just heard from this worthy organization. 10 are still on the trail and they are in Damascus.

Moldy-If anyone deserves "trail magic," it is this group!

Sailing_Faith
05-19-2013, 08:12
i'll bite my tongue, azzhole

Far has this one come, great is the force in this one....

:)

Donde
05-19-2013, 08:15

None of this is even remotely associated with the VA.

TOW
05-19-2013, 08:22
I have to agree with Lone Wolf, not cool. A well known fact is that our govt do not do enuf for our vets and it leads to further complications in their healing process. But the Appalachian Trail will not only accelerate their healing but given the trail magic that is bestowed on them will make them want to do better and it will let them know that there truly are those who care....

rocketsocks
05-19-2013, 08:34
Most of them are wallowing in so much "trail magic" provided by the many local VA organizations that they can't walk from too much eating and drinking.Pretty insensitive Moldy, gotta say I'm a little taken back by your comment, and that doesn't happen that often.

BostonBlue
05-19-2013, 08:52
Not only that, but apparently they also try to find employment for these vets after they have completed their hike.

http://warriorhike.com/about/

Donde
05-19-2013, 09:01
I am curious about this organization, it says a few times on their site that they are raising funds for wounded vets, but there are no links, or statements as to what, where that money is going (i.e. Fischer House, Wounded Warrior, TOSF) Is their sole mission to fund hikes? If so what is the criteria to fund these hikes? I have met a lot of my fellow vets hiking, and I like the idea, but raising money to "walk off the war" when some of you're walkers have never been to a combat zone (the bios are on their site) raises some questions.

rocketsocks
05-19-2013, 09:07
I am curious about this organization, it says a few times on their site that they are raising funds for wounded vets, but there are no links, or statements as to what, where that money is going (i.e. Fischer House, Wounded Warrior, TOSF) Is their sole mission to fund hikes? If so what is the criteria to fund these hikes? I have met a lot of my fellow vets hiking, and I like the idea, but raising money to "walk off the war" when some of you're walkers have never been to a combat zone (the bios are on their site) raises some questions.I would just suggest that one does not need to see combat to be touched by and in need from the war. Many have lost family and friends...just my opinion, and first thought. Seems like a great way to decompress, taking a walk, always works wonders for me.

TD55
05-19-2013, 09:18
They put on uniforms and showed up for the game, in the middle of two wars. If hiking is what they want and they think it helps them, thats enough. IMO they deserve all the trail magic they recieve and can't be thanked enough for their service. If they use every cent donated to their cause to support their hike, thats fine, nothing wrong with that. It's their business and folks can donate or not.

BostonBlue
05-19-2013, 09:25
I am curious about this organization, it says a few times on their site that they are raising funds for wounded vets, but there are no links, or statements as to what, where that money is going (i.e. Fischer House, Wounded Warrior, TOSF) Is their sole mission to fund hikes? If so what is the criteria to fund these hikes? I have met a lot of my fellow vets hiking, and I like the idea, but raising money to "walk off the war" when some of you're walkers have never been to a combat zone (the bios are on their site) raises some questions.

It states on their website on link I provided previously: http://warriorhike.com/about/
that they donated $50,000 to provide adaptive vehicles to vets. They have a lot of sponsors and are sure to get more. I predict that this will become a large part of the AT if they are fiscally responsible. And frankly? That can only be a good thing. Can make the trail a little safer for all if someone needs assistance.

Donde
05-19-2013, 09:47
It states on their website on link I provided previously: http://warriorhike.com/about/
that they donated $50,000 to provide adaptive vehicles to vets. They have a lot of sponsors and are sure to get more. I predict that this will become a large part of the AT if they are fiscally responsible. And frankly? That can only be a good thing. Can make the trail a little safer for all if someone needs assistance.

Yeah I would just like to see some a little more info on how that's going, what % of funds raised goes where etc. I want to know that about any charity.

TD55- That's fine if that is stated from the get go, however if you claim to be raising money to assist wounded vets, but are using 90% of funds to cover the vacation of someone who was in theater, but not in country, 22yrs ago, I would take issue.

Rocketsocks- I don't disagree. However I do believe such funds should be focused on combat wounded over say guy with a tuba.

I would like to make clear that I am suggesting that I know anything bad about this charity. I would just like to know a little more. Sadly we too many charities nowadays where most of the funds don't get where they should. Veteran's charities have also been scammed often in the last 12 years by wook's and fobbits that 'caught the stress syndrome, and well such things hit a little too close to home for me. In the mean time if any of you are looking for other ways to make a huge difference in a wounded, sick, or injured warrior's life check out Fischer House, I've seen their work first hand and it is amazing.

Donde
05-19-2013, 09:48
correction; I AM NOT SUGGESTING, (wow ****ty time for such a mistake)

Jim Obermeyer
05-19-2013, 10:19
Well God bless them. I hope they walk off the war and complete their journey successfully. I also hope that at the end they've gained about 25 lbs due to all the local support.

TD55
05-19-2013, 10:46
It's just cool that the first AT thru hiker was a vet that used a thru to relieve stess from his service in WWII and vet's are stilling doing it.

Donde
05-19-2013, 10:54
It's just cool that the first AT thru hiker was a vet that used a thru to relieve stess from his service in WWII and vet's are stilling doing it.

I could not agree more. Or any life changing stress for that matter ( I was more f'd from my divorce than from the war, though they were quite related). We had a guy in the early 2010 NOBO class named Ken, who went by the trailname Ken, 'cause he was getting used to being called by his name again, great guy. Used to love those introductions " So you don't have a trail name?" "Yeah I do it's Ken." What's your real name?" "Kenneth."

SawnieRobertson
05-20-2013, 10:34
Around the campfire on my one glorious night on the trail in April, I heard many very positive remarks by thruhikers about these hikers. They were not referring to the service they had done but rather their hiking personalities.

rocketsocks
05-20-2013, 14:45
Yeah I would just like to see some a little more info on how that's going, what % of funds raised goes where etc. I want to know that about any charity.

correction; I AM NOT SUGGESTING, (wow ****ty time for such a mistake)

I hear ya..I'm not a numbers guy. and I knew what you meant :)

Preacher_68
05-21-2013, 21:14
I use the VA and have to say that the care they provide at my facility is excellent. What was true of VA treatment facilities only 10 years ago is not the case now, at least not at mine or any of the others I have been treated in. Not only has the quality of the facility itself made great progress so to have the care providers in them. IMHO to say they don't do nearly enough is just not the case, the facility I receive treatment at offers not only all the standard hospital treatment which are fairly common to hospitals, but also many specialties to meet needs that are common to combat injuries physical and mental.

I hope these service members do well, and really enjoy the experience.

JAK
05-22-2013, 06:12
Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly.

LEO TOLSTOY, War and Peace

keepinitsimple
05-22-2013, 09:15
Cool article about this topic in the last issue ( or 2 mos ago) of Backpaker mag. You have to look hard for it between the advertisements. I actually emailed the org to see what I could do to help as they came through PA. Turns out the local VFW and Legion have things planned for them, so taking a day off to supply any magic might be redundant. Its all going down in mid-late June near Boiling Springs. I am not walking off the war myself, but I totally get the concept, healing is one of the things the AT does for me as well

Blissful
05-22-2013, 10:01
I met them at NOC - a great group. 21703