PDA

View Full Version : jmt next summer

trapper
05-19-2013, 15:57
really want to thru the jmt next summer. trying to see if there's any intrested people on here that would like to get a small group together and do it. don't know all the ins and outs/ logistics of the hike yet but that's why im starting so early.. anyone up for it? please have did atleast some backpack ing before i don't think this trip is one to cut your teeth on..

trapper
05-21-2013, 18:26
wow no one?

T.S.Kobzol
05-21-2013, 18:36
I am kind of mulling it over for the past few months...

But my schedules are always unpredictable.
Ideally, I would love to start late july. It reminds me of Wind River Range. I have done the Winds 3 times. Late july in the Winds is mandatory if you don't appreciate being eaten alive by skeeters. The best start is after snow runoff.

Are skeeters a consideration on the JMT?

sent from samsonite using tapioca 2

Coffee
05-21-2013, 18:56
really want to thru the jmt next summer. trying to see if there's any intrested people on here that would like to get a small group together and do it. don't know all the ins and outs/ logistics of the hike yet but that's why im starting so early.. anyone up for it? please have did atleast some backpack ing before i don't think this trip is one to cut your teeth on..

My JMT hike starts late August. I'm going solo but it seems like there are plenty of people to hike with for those who want company. I'm fine with being solo myself. The Yahoo JMT group has been a great help in planning so you might want to join if you haven't already.

MuddyWaters
05-21-2013, 19:41
Im planning on it in July, But a lot of things can happen between now and then.

nawlunz
05-25-2013, 20:39
wow no one?
You should joint the JMT group on Yahoo......one of the moderators, Roleigh, organizes a group every year...I did it with him in 2011....he is very well organized.

q-tip
05-26-2013, 19:49
I have a chronic illness and got sick again. Am completing treatment in NY this week, had my permit for Aug. 8th. Next year, but I do have all my gear and ready to go....

Venchka
05-26-2013, 21:48
q-tip:
Good luck! Get well!
"Get 'er done!"

Wayne

q-tip
05-27-2013, 10:11
10-4,and Thanks Wayne!!!!!!!!

Not Sunshine
05-27-2013, 10:21
Exactly - lots can happen.

Like not getting picked in the lottery for a permit. :-p

I figured: [we - me and friend] were planning ahead: had all gear figured out, working on food, resupplies, transport (flying in, bussing out) the whooole caboodle - and we were getting those permit requests the DAY the lottery opened.

We were not picked. Were told to try next year.

It turns out there's a lot going on in my life right now - I think a 3-week hiking vacation probably would be too much for me at this point - but just keep in mind you can't just pick up and go whenever you please, like on the AT and other trails.

The land is protected. And you have to win a permit lottery before you can enjoy it.

Next year though. If not 2014, I think we're wanting to do Macchu Picchu.

DaFireMedic
05-27-2013, 15:23
Exactly - lots can happen.

Like not getting picked in the lottery for a permit. :-p

I figured: [we - me and friend] were planning ahead: had all gear figured out, working on food, resupplies, transport (flying in, bussing out) the whooole caboodle - and we were getting those permit requests the DAY the lottery opened.

We were not picked. Were told to try next year.

It turns out there's a lot going on in my life right now - I think a 3-week hiking vacation probably would be too much for me at this point - but just keep in mind you can't just pick up and go whenever you please, like on the AT and other trails.

The land is protected. And you have to win a permit lottery before you can enjoy it.

Next year though. If not 2014, I think we're wanting to do Macchu Picchu.

It would be a lot nicer to have your permit reserved beforehand, but you could still get a permit and start on the day that you want. While its not technically "guaranteed" that you will get a walk-in permit for the day that you want, its almost certain if you get in line early enough at the Wilderness Center, especially on a weekday. I'm confident enough in the ability to get a Happy Isles permit that I would plan the trip and fly out (if I lived far enough away that I needed to fly) without concerns of not being able to get one. So if you end up planning a trip for next year but are unable to get the permit in the lottery, don't let that stop you.

MuddyWaters
05-27-2013, 21:23
You can go when you please.
You might have to wait a day or two, but I havent read of anyone yet that didnt get a walk-up permit of some sort when they went that route.

Being flexible is the solution.

Maui Rhino
05-27-2013, 22:43
I am toying with the idea of hiking this trail next year also. I was worrying about getting a walk up permit if I am not selected in a lottery, since I would be flying in from Hawaii to do the trail. I've really just started looking at all the logistics so thanks for the reassurance that I most likely can get a walk-up permit.