PDA

View Full Version : Problems With Hiking Out Of High School

Autumn A.
05-19-2013, 16:45
So, in 2016 I am planning on graduating high school a semester early in order to complete a thru-hike of the AT before college. I know that each individual faces their own unique set of challenges on the trail. However, I wanted to know what challenges I may face with hiking it straight out of high school so that I know what to prepare myself for. Any tips or heads-ups would be great, thanks!

MuddyWaters
05-19-2013, 17:09
Well for starters, most teenagers cannot plan their life 3 weeks ahead, much less 3 yrs. Its highly likely your plans will change. No offense. I have kids.

A semester early, puts a start in about Feb. 1 for a July finish. Brutal. Most 17 or 18 yr olds would not be up to that, especially not without extensive prior winter hiking experience and some $$$ gear. Winter conditions in the southern appalachians can, and every year do, kill.

What you would need to do, is start college a semester late, and hike in the spring/summer/early fall. There is a reason that is the preferred time to hike. Its easier. As it is, it still weeds out 85% of hikers.

The biggest hurdle would possibly be money. Are you prepared to spend $1000+ on gear and $5000 on hiking expenses, not including travel to/from the trail?

If you will be 18 you can avoid issues that would crop up if you are under 18.

jj2044
05-19-2013, 17:15
Well, you will need to start early.... college starts late Aug.... depending on wherever you are going you need to make sure they don't make you have an orientation day, At my school, all new incoming student had to go , there had a few days spread out over summer, that could really screw up a hike. I don't know what kind of shape you are in but im going assume decent, so miles shouldn't be too much of an issue. you might get left sometimes depending on the group you fall in with in town since you wont be able to drink, but that's not a big deal..... that's all I can think of.... enjoy the hike!

Autumn A.
05-19-2013, 17:16
I'm hoping to start late March and be finished up by late August or early September, which would still involve early graduation for me. I've looked at what I think I'll be able to do and intense Winter hiking is definitely not one, so I'd like to go during the more traditional time frame. I know that a lot of teenagers don't stick with plans they've made, however this will be my second big adventure that I've spent years planning. It's something I know I want to do, my enthusiasm is high and I'm really enthralled with all the learning and planning, and I am more than willing to make it work schedule wise.

Feral Bill
05-19-2013, 17:17
A semester early, puts a start in about Feb. 1 for a July finish. Brutal.

College rarely starts in July, often as late as mid September. Time enough for a 6 month hike. Not knowing the OP, I don't know how she will fare. I taught high school for years, and can assure you that no two kids are alike.

MuddyWaters
05-19-2013, 17:27
If you want to make it work schedule wise, Id say plan to start college in the spring semester.

Placement testing and mandatory orientations take place during June and July, at least for my daughter.

Even if you can get around that, you cant finish the trail one day, and just go to school the next day. You need a bit of recovery time. For school starting end of august, Id think you would want to be finished no later than first week august at the very latest.

Registration for classes, getting textbooks, moving into housing (possibly), this stuff starts well before classes start.

What you dont want, is to not be able to finish because of school after you already came 3/4 of the way.

You should plan with enough cushion to finish, or just plan to hike as far as you are able, then go home when need to.

Water Rat
05-19-2013, 17:39
So, in 2016 I am planning on graduating high school a semester early in order to complete a thru-hike of the AT before college. I know that each individual faces their own unique set of challenges on the trail. However, I wanted to know what challenges I may face with hiking it straight out of high school so that I know what to prepare myself for. Any tips or heads-ups would be great, thanks!

If you want to hike the AT bad enough, and are willing to work for it, you will make it happen. It sounds like you are giving yourself enough time to plan and prepare. Good job! I will not try to dampen your enthusiasm... I think it is great when teenagers are interested in getting out and hiking. However, for everyone (teenagers and adults) out there... The reality of hiking the trail, and the dreaming about it can be two totally different creatures. I have never hiked the entire AT, but have done a lot of backpacking. When I was 16, I started hitting the trail by myself. There were many people who said females should not hike alone, I was too young, etc.

There are some potential hurdles between you and your goal. These are just some things to think about between now and 2016. Like I said, if you are willing to work for your goal, anything is possible. Here are a few things to help you start your planning process:

Money - You will need enough for the hike. The amount you will need increases each year. Will you be buying all your food along the way, or will you be sending drop-boxes?

Gear - You will need gear you are comfortable carrying for over 2,000 miles. What do you have? What do you need?

Fitness - You will want to be in reasonable shape when you begin the trail. If you are in good shape, it will make life on the trail that much more fun, and will help prevent injuries that might otherwise keep you from attaining your goal.

Mental aspects of the trail - Have you been away from home/friends/family for any length of time? Have you ever gone backpacking by yourself? Having the right mental attitude will get you a long way on the trail.

Do lots of research and come up with backup plans. Odds are good you will never need to put them into action, but it always feels good to know if the first plan does not work out, you can immediately switch gears to another plan. Read as much as you can about the trail. Go over maps and plan your route. If your family is part of your support network, include them in this process and make it a family activity.

The only challenges you will face just because you are hiking straight out of high school (as opposed to anyone else hiking the trail), are the only ones you create for yourself. Ask questions when you have them. Pick the gear that feels the best for you, rather than buying the trendiest stuff (only to find out it does not fit you). These are just a few words of advice.

I wish you all the best in your research process! I hope you do choose to hike the AT, if that is what you truly want to do when 2016 rolls around! :)

Cookerhiker
05-19-2013, 17:41
Many teens have tensions at home because their parents are worried about them in the "wilderness," probably a bigger problem for girls. But since you didn't mention this, it sounds like your family supports your doing the hike. That's great!

This suggestion isn't limited to teens: you're in Iowa (no mountains) in winter before your hike begins so I hope you have access to a gym and can work out aerobically on a stairclimber, elliptical, or similar device. You can't replicate the experience of hiking with a full pack up and down mountains but you're in better stead with aerobic conditioning than those who don't prepare such. And when the hike starts, resist the temptation to hike big miles in the first week. Let those heretofor unused muscles rest. In other words, hold off on the 20 mile days (or even 15 or 17) until the whole body is ready to cooperate!

It's great that you're doing this. Good luck!:)

bshow
05-19-2013, 18:42
Do the hike and forget college. College is a scam.

If you feel you must go to college, absolutely nothing wrong with waiting a year to start.

Do the hike, and have a great life.

MuddyWaters
05-19-2013, 21:04
I dont know if Id agree college is a scam.

What they charge, and the money they loan that cant be discharged in bankruptcy certainly is though.

People should be smarter than to borrow $150,000 to get a job that only pays $40,000 /yr. But, not everyone is.

Autumn A.
05-20-2013, 01:16

If you feel you must go to college, absolutely nothing wrong with waiting a year to start.

Taking a gap year is something I considered, however I'm pretty ambitious. I like to be moving forward always, trying to figure out what my next big adventure will be. I hope to have a lifetime adventure as a missionary -- which puts me in a terribly competitive position when I move forward to find a job. There are always many more aspiring missionaries than there are jobs. Starting college sooner and without so much time in between gives me a jump and keeps me moving, well prepared in the direction I want to go. In order to do what I want to do and be happy in life, college is something I believe I should do. That being said, so is the AT.

Astro
05-20-2013, 01:43

College is not a scam! While there may be some institutions that are more than willing to take your money (including loans you will have to pay back later), at most schools just go in knowing what you are doing. Also I will be the first to admit college is not for everyone, we have way too many here that shouldn't be.

But if you are interested in college and see a future career it positions you for, please do go, whether it be in August or not until the following January after you complete your AT Thru.

Good Luck with your journeys including the AT and your future career (which should be the purpose of your college education).

BostonBlue
05-20-2013, 06:37
I am going to address the elephant in the room: If you are going to be fresh out of high school and want to be a missionary, I am assuming that you won't be drinking, smoking weed, or having a lot of sexual adventures on the AT. And sorry to be so frank with a young person, but it is better that you find out now that these are the activities of a lot of the AT hikers who are close in age to you. Not all, but I would bet that more than 80% of the age group will be involved in at least one of the three at least a few times if not on a habitual basis. And that is not to say either group is right or wrong - just different beliefs. Be prepared for this because even though you may have high morals - you will be immersed in another culture for 5-6 months.

I would suggest that you read every possible trail journal of those under 25 at trailjournals.com. Watch every YouTube AT video of young groups. Know what to expect because hiking the AT is about so much more than hiking the AT.

Because chances are that you may not start with a group, but you will end with a group. And this will sound so blunt, but the more attractive you are - the more guys will share your hike and it can be a little difficult being independent from them. I am all for independent women, but in your case I would suggest that you try to find another young girl online or in your area that wants to do this as well who SHARES your common values. It may be invaluable.

kayak karl
05-20-2013, 06:49
somebody help the OP with searching Kirby's hike. 2009 i think. he was 16, 17?
got to go to work:)

bshow
05-20-2013, 07:36
I have two college degrees, and I assure you that college is a scam. You can learn anything they teach you at college on you own for a fraction of the cost. And that doesn't include the opportunity cost of the time you spent in college when you could have been doing something productive.

OP, best wishes for your future as a missionary. Take the time to enjoy life and experience the trail. You will go into college a changed person.

peakbagger
05-20-2013, 07:52
Let get back to his original questions and cut out the extraneous commentary on college. Its highly dependent on your maturity. Given that a large class of AT thruhikers are college age you may be more or less mature than they are. Especially for the first month or so, you will encounter a lot of folks who havent grown up and are partying their way along the trail and they would love to have you join them in the party. Many eventually drift away after Damascus. If you can resist the temptation and just hike you own hike, consider those folks as part of the experience but just dont join them. Realistically unless you make an issue of your age, it should not be an issue.

More importantly is getting your gear and yourself in shape. That first day in Georgia is going to be long hike up a mountain for someone for Iowa. You allong with 95% of the thruhikers are going to get into the "running to Katahdin" mode the first day or so trying to go big miles and thats the worse thing you can do. Force youself into a reasonable pace, take plenty of breaks and stop early the first day, repeat that for a few days and get you trail legs then start ramping up your miles. Sure folks will be passing you but keep in mind many will be catching a ride back to the bus station after a couple of days of pushing too hard.

The other advise is resist the temptation to start too early to avoid the crowds. The early start usually means longer days stuck in town waiting for the weather to break and a far heavier load and investment in cold weather gear. You will see many reports of folks doing it successfully starting early but they are the minority. The so call bubble and crowding at campsites is way overblown, usually its the folks who want to sleep in shelters, if you are willing to tent or hang there is almost always space either at or near a campsite.

Good luck

garlic08
05-20-2013, 08:20
somebody help the OP with searching Kirby's hike. 2009 i think. he was 16, 17?
got to go to work:)

Kirby hiked in 2008. I met him, shared the trail a few days with him and Cookie. Here's his journal: http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=5132

Marta
05-20-2013, 08:42
I've run into a number of fresh-out-of-high-school hikers. It's a great time to hike! Pinky and The Brain hiked in '07. They took a gap year, though, to work and save money for their hikes. They've got a Trail Journal you can check out.

One brilliant thing they did was take a month for a trial hike right after graduation, then they went to work for seven or eight months, then started NOBO. The trial hike ended early...but provided the practical education they both needed to successfully hike the whole Trail the following year.

I strongly recommend you do something similar.

Best wishes!

CoffeeBager
05-20-2013, 10:13
MuddyWaters mentioned mandatory summer orientations. I've worked for a few universities, and while they say these orientations are mandatory, there is *always* a way around them. They can't reasonably expect international students, for instance, to show up for a weekend two months before classes begin, so there's often an international student orientation or transfer student orientation or an unpublished "latecomer" orientation for those who didn't get the summer orientations because of distance, military obligations, or other issues. Be in communication with your admissions counselor early in the process to let them know you are completely unavailable for on-campus visits during the summer. The bigger issue would be placement tests, which are often given for English and/or math if your ACT/SAT for those subjects is low or borderline. If you are well-prepared academically, you will probably not need to take these tests. However, if you do have to take them and you can't do it during the late orientation, you may find your class options limited during your first semester since you may not have sufficient prerequisites completed. I never thought I'd recommend ACT prep as part of hiking preparations, but you want to do well on that exam (ACT is good for most Iowa schools, but you may have to take the SAT for others), be sure to take all required high school level courses (4 years of English and 4 years of math should do it--don't skip either of these your senior year). Since you are trying to finish early, you may need to take a community college or online course to be sure to get 4 full years of both if your target schools require that.

If you are academically strong and have the financial means, you could also check into dual-credit courses beginning in your junior year. These are normally community college courses you take for both HS and college credit. That would give you a bit of a cushion in case you need to delay college by a semester. Again, check the general ed requirements for your target colleges and be sure they accept credits from the local community college (DMACC, for example). You can also check into online options, but I don't think they're the best for HS students doing college-level work for the first time. Also, be very careful about English classes--some 4-year colleges have determined that the community college equivalent of their introductory writing course is not rigorous enough to prepare students. However, you can usually transfer in things like math, intro to psych, and general science courses. You need to work with both your HS counselor and an admissions officer to make this work. Don't believe everything your admission counselor says, either. Check requirements in the college catalog and contact the Academic Records/Registrar's office at the college to double check that the credit counts. Sometimes policies change and admissions isn't always up on catalog changes. The Registrar is normally the final word on transfer credit.

Hope that helps!

Autumn A.
05-20-2013, 18:12
And sorry to be so frank with a young person, but it is better that you find out now that these are the activities of a lot of the AT hikers who are close in age to you. Not all, but I would bet that more than 80% of the age group will be involved in at least one of the three at least a few times if not on a habitual basis.
I know that many people in my age group do these things, on the trail or off and they're free to do whatever they want. I'm completely open to people hiking their own hike, as long as they don't try and change mine. I really appreciate the heads up, though!
Thanks to everyone who has offered advice! I'll definitely be going to college, most likely that Fall. I appreciate all the help!

shelb
05-28-2013, 00:44
The main reason to go to college in the Fall after graduation: Scholarship/Grant money! (Usually, NEVER recovered after a year off).

Otherwise: My advise, (as a section hiker, and a parent of a 27 year old and 2 high school kids): Based on what you said about your future career (missionary), begin your hike between April 1 and 15. This will accomplish a few things (weather better, less influence, MAINLY - less annoyances! This year, several people posted about the "entitled, bratty, drinking, messy, thru-hikers" (Those who weren't, PLEASE, excuse this!!!).

NBD - you can then begin your college career one semester late...

Ironbelly
05-28-2013, 06:37

+1 , College is a scam for the majority of people whether they choose to admit it or not. What you get for the price you pay and the debt you end up in is an utter scam and rip off if there ever was one. Now, like anything there are exceptions such as very specialized degrees such as engineering, or a medical doctor etc.

If college is REALLY something that you want to do then just plan to start a year late. It's not a big deal, and IMO would be the best course of action. You won't be rushed on your hike, and can just have a normal relaxed pace the whole time without being worried or rushed that you wont finish in time. It will be good for your soul not to immediately jump into college.

Lastly, while your out there hiking be sure to give college alot of thought. It's not for everyone thats for sure. Most good decent jobs only require a relatively short training program , knowledge of a few key skills, or at most a 2 year degree. Going for a full on 4+ year degree usually results in the individual being overwhelmed with student loan debt etc and end up with alot of education that they will never use but still have to pay for. Really think about what you want to do with your life. You can learn nearly anything they teach you in college on your own and just have to be willing to show potential employers that you know how/what to do.

stranger
05-28-2013, 07:43
I hiked the Long Trail at 18 and took a run at the AT at 19...made it 611 miles before stopping.

The hardest this is lack of life experience, so lack of perspective, ability to compare to other experiences. But also, this can be an asset, also the younger you are chances are the less in your life, the less that can go wrong, the more pain and discomfort you can put up with, etc...so there are big advantages.

I think the largest disadvantage will be money for younger hikers, most hikers under 20 seem to have very little money, and make no bones about it...you need money to hike the AT.

I might share that my Long Trail hike was a breeze, and until Atkins VA, my AT hike was a breeze, I mean almost too easy. Then something changed, not really sure what happened, but something happened...I couldn't adjust, I hadn't had that experience before, I panicked and I quit. That wouldn't of happened 10 years later, life teaches you these things, but at 19 I couldn't make the adjustment.

MuddyWaters
05-28-2013, 22:10
+1 , College is a scam for the majority of people whether they choose to admit it or not. What you get for the price you pay and the debt you end up in is an utter scam and rip off if there ever was one.

I wholeheartedly agree that at todays pricing, it is a ripoff for many.

But I dont think it can be called a scam, because employers require it for consideration for employment for many jobs.

At my daughters graduation recently from private HS, I noticed something, out of 183 graduates, 98% going to college, a couple in the military, only about 8 listed having applied and been accepted to out of state schools, and some of those were athletic scholarship offers.

Its not just the tuition, albeit $10,000 extra for the privelege of going to a public state school next door to your state is positively absurd. Housing costs are also fairly prohibitive. Dorms today, are NOTHING like the dorm room I walked into as a college freshman, they are the lap of luxury by comparison.

I dont know what I expected when I first walked into my dorm, but I was shocked. My dorm closely resembled a jail cell without the toilet in the corner. Tile floor, two beds with 3" thick mattresses about 4' apart, old radiator on wall under single window. Room maybe 14x10. Two old small desks, and closets made of plywood.

prain4u
05-29-2013, 00:47
Lots of potential issues--people have mentioned some of them--most are not insurmountable. HOWEVER--I think the biggest problem is that you have the wrong plan.

1) Planning on starting college in the fall almost certainly condemns you to facing nearly every complication and challenge which are common to failed thru hikes. (Thus, almost guaranteeing that you will fail to complete your thru hike). With the arbitrary "deadline" of a starting college in the Fall--you would feel pressured to start too early. Starting before early April gives you a strong probability of hiking in winter-like weather (with shorter hiking days, crappy trails, greater expenses, greater risk of injury, greater challenges and the need to carry heavier equipment). You would face a pressure to move too fast too early and also have a pressure to hike too fast throughout your entire hike (Thus, risking overuse injuries). Take the entire year next off from school (or at least the Fall semester). Start your hike in early April. Take your time. Move at a comfortable pace. Avoid the bulk of the winter hiking weather (and all the problems that go with that).

2) A problem which many younger hikers face on a solo thru hike is a lack of maturity--both mental/emotional maturity and physical maturity. Most 17-20 year olds lack significant quantities of BOTH kinds of maturity. That is not an insult. Young people's bodies and their emotions simply take time to fully mature--and there is usually very little that one can do to help speed up that maturation process.

3) Experience (this is somewhat related to #2). Very few young people have the hiking, camping and outdoor experience (and life experience) necessary to complete a solo thru hike (especially if they are starting prior to early April and need to do cold-weather hiking and camping).

Marta
05-29-2013, 10:21
I beg to differ with the above post.

1) Many thru-hikers have a school deadline in Aug-Sept. Many fail to meet that; some succeed. But I don't think the average completion rate is worse than normal.

2) What they lack in maturity they have in energy and the ability to heal rapidly...and the lack of fear of obstacles that stops many older people before they even get started.

3) Many wannabe thru-hikers lack hiking and camping experience. The OP has a couple of years to build a a base of experience. If she uses the time wisely, she will be better off than most of her fellow starters.

BostonBlue
05-29-2013, 10:48
I agree with Marta. The OP is more articulate and bright than many adults I have encountered! For what she wants to accomplish, college is the logical choice. I hope she will stay on this site. It would be fun to help her through the years and watch her grow into an accomplished backpacker. Wish her the best.

Feral Bill
05-29-2013, 11:11
I agree with Marta. The OP is more articulate and bright than many adults I have encountered! For what she wants to accomplish, college is the logical choice. I hope she will stay on this site. It would be fun to help her through the years and watch her grow into an accomplished backpacker. Wish her the best. + 1 Very promising young person.

prain4u
05-29-2013, 11:28
I respectfully disagree with Marta, BostonBlue, and Feral Bill :)

Having to have the hike completed by (essentially) mid-August puts too much pressure on the hiker---more than most somewhat experienced (and older) hikers would want to take on. The potential problems and issues would likely be even greater for a (relatively) inexperienced teenager.

Going to college in the Fall means either starting in mid-March (or earlier) and facing all of the (potentially bad weather) or starting in April and giving yourself roughly 130-140 days for completion. (That is almost a month faster than the average thru hike). My point is--why intentionally put oneself in that position?

BOTTOM LINE: We all agree that this is an impressive young person. The issue where we disagree is an important--but relatively minor one. Specifically, we disagree whether the hiker should plan on attending school in the Fall semester. I think taking on that sort of pressure lessens the chance of completion for the thru hike. Obviously, the above panel of hikers disagrees. In the end, I say what is the harm of taking a semester (or two) off and increasing your chances of completion and taking away the time crunch for the completion of the hike? Relax, slow down and enjoy the hike.

Water Rat
05-29-2013, 12:29
After reading the posts to this thread - I completely agree the OP is a very impressive and promising person! If she continues with the great attitude and focus, then she will go far in life. :)

Fortunately, she is looking to hike the AT in 2016. With her current research approach, this will allow her time to get the experience she needs in the areas she feels are her weakest. If she has not done a lot of backpacking, she has time to get that experience; If she doesn't have comfortable gear, she has time to figure out what works for her; If she has no winter camping experience, she still has time to get that under her belt, etc. It will also It certainly seems as if the OP is off to a great start with her research. Research and planning are a wonderful place to start. Knowing that "life happens" (and, not always in a good way!) and having a backup plan will increase the odds that the OP will complete her goals. Between now and 2016, her goals may even change. She might find she prefers warmer weather for hiking, or she might find she want to get an earlier start because she really loves cold weather camping and hiking. I encourage that the OP creates an outline of what she wants to do, and what her goals are. I would also encourage her to be open and flexible to altering the plans if necessary. The ability to be flexible (if needed) will increase your odds of success on the trail, as well as in life.

While not necessarily the norm, there are many people out there who actually do better with deadlines. As one of those people, deadlines really help me plan the best way to make use of my time. If the OP is one of these people, then a fall deadline to begin college will not be a hindrance. Nor would it take away from her hiking experience. Please note I am not saying she IS this type of person, I am just throwing it out there.

For the OP: You have stated your goal is to begin college in the fall of 2016, after your hike. I have a suggestion, as I am a firm believer in goals (as well as back-up plans!). If you have a college in mind, what about finding out what their policy is on enrollment deferment? Colleges are often maxed-out for enrollment in the fall, but often have spaces open for winter enrollment. If your college of choice will allow you to defer your college experience, what about making plans to enroll in the fall semester...with the option to push your college start date back if necessary? Having that backup plan would take the stress off IF you find yourself in a position where you have to choose between finishing your hike, and starting college on time. Who knows? Between now and then, you may even opt for a February start and render all of these suggestions unnecessary.

No matter what you choose to do - Enjoy! :)

Austin_Knott
05-29-2013, 12:45
I have been planning to hike the AT for about 2 years now, slowly planning out everything I need, & gathering gear at REI garage sales, and gear swaps, working every job I can to save up the measly $3000 in my pockets. I leave in 2 weeks and although I can give you no advice on the actual hiking of the trail, I will tell you that if you plan, and keep a positive attitude you are bound to find success.

The power of the mind is beautiful. Best of luck.

BostonBlue
05-29-2013, 12:48
I have been planning to hike the AT for about 2 years now, slowly planning out everything I need, & gathering gear at REI garage sales, and gear swaps, working every job I can to save up the measly $3000 in my pockets. I leave in 2 weeks and although I can give you no advice on the actual hiking of the trail, I will tell you that if you plan, and keep a positive attitude you are bound to find success.

The power of the mind is beautiful. Best of luck.

Best of success to you, young man. I hope you will keep a journal. Send me an email and I'll be glad to send you a dropbox!

Feral Bill
05-29-2013, 12:56
A lot depends on what college Autumn chooses. If she needs to show up in mid-August, I agree that a full thru is a stretch. If her school starts well into September, things look doable. But please, Autumn, choose your college based on your academic needs and budget, not convenience for hiking. I know Iowa is not known as a hiking state, but get out there and do what you can.

Autumn A.
05-29-2013, 20:55
Thank you to everyone who responded to this post! I've considered everyone's opinions and as of now am still planning to do the hike with the deadline of school in the Fall. I will definitely look into whether or not the school will allow me to push back my start if need be. I've still got several years to make decisions about what's going to work best for me as I continue to stay excited and keep planning. I'm planning to stay on WhiteBlaze and I'm sure more questions will come up over the years, so keep an eye out for me leading up to the 2016 hiking season!

BobL
05-29-2013, 21:34
First off, best of luck with your planning phase. If you are smart enough to graduate a semester early, you can do the thru hike. As a parent of a 2013 thru hiker, your parents will be a wellspring of support if they are on-board with this adventure. I have not seen anyone suggest a SPOT Satellite tracker. The new ones are light and a daily OK check-in will ease some of their anxiety. Obviously the right gear is imperative. Whether you decide on a tent or hammock, inflatable or ccf mattress pad, down or synthetic sleeping bag, that is all a personal choice. I did a section hike in early march and one gentleman used a piece of sheet plastic for a tarp and a lot of recycled items to make his "kit". His experience was obvious and he was more comfortable with his set-up than may were with MUCH more expensive gear. The lesson is to know your kit and it will work for you.

Use the next couple years to gather that experience. You will start with people and move with them through the states. The group will evolve and some nights you could be alone. That is a consideration for anyone... how comfortable you are with camping alone and being smart about where you are when you do it. Other than an aggressive hiking schedule (late March through mid/late August) there is no reason, given financial resources, you can't do this.

One more item. Nutrition... Many hikers make it on nominal nutrition... if you can ensure periodic good nutritious meals on the trail, I'm talking dehydrating your own, that will make a world of difference to your health and enjoyment of the trail. It might seem silly, but of all the items we sent him, our son craves the dried fruit we send him, especially the bananas. Home dehydrated are way more nutritious than the store bought brands.

good luck

Marta
05-30-2013, 00:18
When I lived in NC and did a lot of winter hiking in the Natahala NF, I met more young hikers than I can count who started in Feb-March with plans to finish by mid-August. Some were just out of high school. Others were in college and had worked out deal to take a semester off in order to hike.

Good luck, Austin Knott. Best wishes for a good hike.

DLP
05-30-2013, 00:46
Ultimately, your decision to hike or not to hike, and the months and miles to hike and when you will start college will most likely end up a compromise between you and your parents. I have a 21 year old who is in college and I can imagine the compromise that we would end up agreeing (or maybe disagreeing?) upon.

Autumn, Honestly the thing that bothers me the most about your posts is your siggy. :) This might be petty, but every time I look at the thread, I can't help but think that you have no spouse nor job and you don't own a home, nor a car... unless you are a VERY exceptional young high school student.

OTOH, IF you are looking for people who are married, own homes and cars and have careers to leave all that and hike with you... Keep that siggy! Perhaps you are looking for surrogate trail parents and grandparents? Just kidding... but that kind of goes thru my mind when I read your posts. I mean, I could leave my family and quit my job and sell all my stuff and become homeless, if you want... but when I join you out there... you carry the Kleenex, OK? :)

You are obviously a planner. The siggy says "Hey... be impulsive... leave your partner... sell your house - regardless of the value of your home! Just do it!" Your posts and the siggy are disconnected.

Don't use somebody else's siggy from 2009!! Write your own siggy/poem that reflects who you are!

Autumn A.
05-30-2013, 16:15
The siggy says "Hey... be impulsive... leave your partner... sell your house - regardless of the value of your home! Just do it!" Your posts and the siggy are disconnected.
Don't use somebody else's siggy from 2009!! Write your own siggy/poem that reflects who you are!
Haha, that's actually something I've thought about. I wouldn't in a million years actually tell someone to give everything up on a whim to come hike the AT. I mostly used it because I liked the feel of the poem and what it represented. Maybe I wish I was more like that person (although I don't think that's it), but who knows? Anyways, I think you're right -- the signature doesn't match me. I'll definitely start working on another one!

DLP
05-31-2013, 02:58
I mostly used it because I liked the feel of the poem and what it represented. Maybe I wish I was more like that person (although I don't think that's it), but who knows? I get what your saying. The poem does represent a freedom of sorts and a total ditching of "normal" responsibilities and it is cute, in a weird cynical way.
You can whip out something better in 5 mins!

Theosus
05-31-2013, 07:07
I've run into a number of fresh-out-of-high-school hikers. It's a great time to hike! Pinky and The Brain hiked in '07. They took a gap year, though, to work and save money for their hikes. They've got a Trail Journal you can check out.

One brilliant thing they did was take a month for a trial hike right after graduation, then they went to work for seven or eight months, then started NOBO. The trial hike ended early...but provided the practical education they both needed to successfully hike the whole Trail the following year.

I strongly recommend you do something similar.

Best wishes!

Love this idea... End of high school is a great time to do a hike. You have no real expenses (probably still living with parents), no spouse to nag you into not doing it, no steady career job to worry about leaving, no kids to worry about (if youve lived your life right...), no house or apartment of your own to have to set up for six months of your absence. Take a year between high school and college, and go have an experience that many of us in the daily grind just CANT do, because of all those reasons. If I attempt a thru hike, it will be in ten years, when my OWN kid has gone off to college, I'm retired from one job, and if my wife leaves me I won't be stuck paying child support.

DLP
05-31-2013, 10:29
My son is at orientation at San Jose State today. He went to community college for 3 years and is transferring in the fall. He would not miss orientation, and jeopardize losing his spot. I didn't even know he had an orientation. We share a car and he said he needed the car today, and I found out that he was going to orientation today.

However, 2016 is ways off, and you and your family will decide what works best for you.