PDA

View Full Version : Dehydrated marinara sauce

heavyfoot
05-19-2013, 20:36
It's from a jar, dehydrated to brittleness. Will it keep for 3 months in ziplock baggies or is there a risk of mold?

WingedMonkey
05-19-2013, 20:54
It's from a jar, dehydrated to brittleness. Will it keep for 3 months in ziplock baggies or is there a risk of mold?

Shouldn't be any mold if it's brittle dry. Are you going to powder it?

cricket71
05-19-2013, 21:03
I personally put it in vacuum sealed bags and it keeps quite well, I do the same with everything I dehydrate and I dehydrate all my own meals. Sauce leather, string cheese, pita pockets split in half and BAM trail pizza... Living the dream.

heavyfoot
05-19-2013, 22:05
Shouldn't be any mold if it's brittle dry. Are you going to powder it?

It's a little greasy but definitely dry. No plans to turn it to powder, I just drop sections into baggies.

cricket71 - yum! Thanks for the idea.

daddytwosticks
05-20-2013, 07:24
Store it in the freezer wrapped in double ziplock bags. My sauce keeps for months this way :)

coach lou
05-20-2013, 07:29
I personally put it in vacuum sealed bags and it keeps quite well, I do the same with everything I dehydrate and I dehydrate all my own meals. Sauce leather, string cheese, pita pockets split in half and BAM trail pizza... Living the dream.
Cricket....are you bringing some of these delicacies with you to NJ?:)

WingedMonkey
05-20-2013, 07:36
It's a little greasy but definitely dry. No plans to turn it to powder, I just drop sections into baggies.

cricket71 - yum! Thanks for the idea.

I've also found it's easier to dry if the sauce you are using doesn't contain olive or other oils.

coach lou
05-20-2013, 07:53
I've also found it's easier to dry if the sauce you are using doesn't contain olive or other oils.

Tomato sauce without Olive Oil.........blasphemy!:eek:

WingedMonkey
05-20-2013, 08:11
Tomato sauce without Olive Oil.........blasphemy!:eek:

I'm sure that hiking machine like you carries his own. Easier to add than to try and dehydrate.

theoilman
05-20-2013, 08:12
Just add the olive oil when you re-hydrate. I would be afraid of any oil in any of my dehydrated food. Animal oils will definitely cause it to go rancid. I don't take a chance with any others.

coach lou
05-20-2013, 08:17
I do indeed carry a small bottle of the liquid gold, my flying primate! But, this dehydrating of food stuffs I am very interested in. i have lurked on some of those threads, and I guess need to make the purchase and get started.

WingedMonkey
05-20-2013, 08:23
I do indeed carry a small bottle of the liquid gold, my flying primate! But, this dehydrating of food stuffs I am very interested in. i have lurked on some of those threads, and I guess need to make the purchase and get started.

I never go into the woods without a small Nalgege of olive oil.

However, when drying a comercial product at home, tomato sauces containing cheese, cream, olive oil, and meats will not dehydrate well due to the fat content, and may spoil. content, and may spoil.

FarmerChef
05-20-2013, 11:37
To the original question - yes it will keep provided you do as ddts instructs. Also, since it's commercially prepared and I don't know what's in it...ymmv. :)

To make your own delicious marinara keep it simple and easy. Just mix:

garlic powder (or crushed raw garlic if you prefer)
crushed tomatoes (I like the big #10 cans from Sam's Club)
onion powder (or pureed, sauteed onions if you prefer)
salt and pepper to taste
fresh or dried oregano (again to taste)
parmesan cheese (fresh or dried)

Cook until all the flavors meld. Adjust if necessary. Dehydrate. Done.

Add Olive Oil in the field on your hike. Yum!

If you stick with all dried ingredients (save the tomatoes of course) then it's a snap to prepare and the companies that dried the herbs and cheese got the oil out for you already. No muss, no fuss. Have fun.

coach lou
05-20-2013, 12:40
I never go into the woods without a small Nalgege of olive oil.

However, when drying a comercial product at home, tomato sauces containing cheese, cream, olive oil, and meats will not dehydrate well due to the fat content, and may spoil. content, and may spoil.

You realize that Grandma Coach Lou would be spinning in her grave if there was a Commercially made sauce in my pack!

WingedMonkey
05-20-2013, 13:10
You realize that Grandma Coach Lou would be spinning in her grave if there was a Commercially made sauce in my pack!

Granma Couch Lou would call it "gravy".

heavyfoot
05-20-2013, 17:36
To the original question - yes it will keep provided you do as ddts instructs.

Well... it's unlikely to be in a freezer since these are for my mail drops.

rustmd
05-20-2013, 18:10
check this one: www.backpackingchef.com/pasta-bark Pasta bark is easy, delicious, can add meat when rehydrating in camp.

.com

Hikes in Rain
05-20-2013, 19:50
I love that fella's philosophy!

cricket71
05-20-2013, 20:14
http://backpackingchef.com this guy has great ideas to help get started on dehydrating your own food for the trail.