PDA

View Full Version : Noob question about a pad in the shelter

pgustaf249
05-19-2013, 21:48
I suppose this is just a matter in how much hardness one can tolerate, but is there a pad that can be used in the shelter and actually place some comfort between you and the platform? It seems that it would have to be pretty thick and then too bulky to pack away conveniently.

Trebor66
05-19-2013, 21:58
There are a lot of inflatable pads out there that offer a lot of comfort. Therm a Rest and Big Agnes are two of the more popular brands. My Therm a Rest ProLite packs down quite small (4 in by 10 in) and weighs just over a pound. Look them up on You Tube.

MuddyWaters
05-19-2013, 22:14
Ive used all sorts.
Ridgerest
Prolite Plus
Xlite

A lot of younger thru hikers just use a Zlite. Its fast, its easy.
Its not so good for old bodies though.

pgustaf249
05-19-2013, 22:28
Ive used all sorts.
Ridgerest
Prolite Plus
Xlite

At 59 my body is pretty old.

Meriadoc
05-19-2013, 22:33

The effectiveness (or at least the longevity) of foam pads also depend on body weight. My Z-lite was worn out (read: provided little comfort but was still an effective pad) before 900 miles were up. My friend's Z-lite was worn out by 1300 miles but mine was flatter with fewer miles on it. I weighed 160, she weighed 120.

Still, for ease of use, weight, and durability, I would hike with a Z-lite again.

Stalking Tortoise
05-20-2013, 06:29
As I get older, I find myself leaving the Z-Rest in the closet in favor of my Big Agnes Air Core mattress. The BA is a good 3" thick when inflated but rolls up to a very manageable size. It's not nearly as convenient as a Thermarest since it requires manual inflation but I sleep very well on it both in shelters and my tent.

waterman1148
05-20-2013, 07:12
Klymit static V. Awesome pad, and small! Holds up my 275 pounds.

MDSection12
05-20-2013, 08:45
As I get older, I find myself leaving the Z-Rest in the closet in favor of my Big Agnes Air Core mattress. The BA is a good 3" thick when inflated but rolls up to a very manageable size. It's not nearly as convenient as a Thermarest since it requires manual inflation but I sleep very well on it both in shelters and my tent.

Same. I don't often sleep on the ground, but when I do I love the BAAC.

Tinker
05-20-2013, 09:07
I have a BA air core and used to use it when not hammocking until I loaned it to someone who slept in a loft in someone's house and poked a hole (or holes) in it. I haven't bothered to try to fix it yet since I prefer hammocking.

Fwiw, the loft was floored with rough-cut pine boards which probably did the mattress in.

If I were to use an inflatable pad long-term I'd probably invest in a very thin (1/4" or thinner - if available) closed cell foam pad to protect the inflatable from punctures (and would also use it as a sit pad on wet surfaces).
When using a non-insulated air mattress, placing a thin closed cell pad on top increases insulation quite a bit.

bigcranky
05-20-2013, 16:24
Thermarest Prolite Plus. Any of the Neoair pads.

House of Payne
05-23-2013, 15:59
Q-core is pricey but worth the money. And because it's an inflatable you just have to pay more attention to where you laying it down