PDA

View Full Version : Which is tougher - AT or PCT?

bad biscuit
05-20-2013, 01:20
I'm currently just cyber hiking as I'm stuck in another arid country across the ocean where going outside the walls of the base isn't advisable unless you have lots of firepower. Stateside, I live in the southeast so the AT is closer. After doing some reading on the PCT, I staring wondering - which is tougher?

I know the PCT is longer, but considering terrian, resupply, etc is it physically harder to complete? I know it depends on the person, but I thought I'd ask for input since I can't even think about doing either until 2014/2015 when I come back stateside.

fiddlehead
05-20-2013, 03:45
Depends what you call tougher.
Physically, the AT has steeper climbs but towns and access to resupply is closer. (3 days is all you have to carry on the AT except for perhaps one place)
PCT adds desert hiking and going further between water sources as well as hiking in hot sun with no shade sometimes.

AT has east coast weather which means extreme at times where in CA it almost never rains and you can wash your clothes almost daily and they dry out fast (so not so much hiker stink, if you know what I mean)

Lots of threads on here talking about the differences.
So, harder or easier is relative to you and what your experience levels are with the different weather and terrain situations.

AT is more of a party scene with shelters often crowded with other hikers and mice.
PCT has better views and more variety.
PCT is longer (600 miles longer) but still done generally in the same amount of time.

SouthernPride
05-20-2013, 04:32
jnunniv - I have no opinion as I havent hiked either...yet. But read your post and knowing where you are I wanted to take a moment and send my sincerest appreciation and say THANK YOU for your service and sacrifice. We wouldnt have the opportunity to hike either trail if not for courageous young men and women like yourself.

Bobby
05-20-2013, 06:31
I'm currently just cyber hiking as I'm stuck in another arid country across the ocean where going outside the walls of the base isn't advisable unless you have lots of firepower. Stateside, I live in the southeast so the AT is closer. After doing some reading on the PCT, I staring wondering - which is tougher?

I know the PCT is longer, but considering terrian, resupply, etc is it physically harder to complete? I know it depends on the person, but I thought I'd ask for input since I can't even think about doing either until 2014/2015 when I come back stateside.

1st one is the hardest.

Bobby
05-20-2013, 06:32
sorry - hit enter too soon.

1st on you do is always the hardest

Malto
05-20-2013, 07:19
Neither or both depending on the particular conditions the year you hike. Not harder or easier, just different.

garlic08
05-20-2013, 08:25
1st one is the hardest.

Ditto this.

Don H
05-20-2013, 08:58
After going through what you're dealing with now I'd say either trail would be a piece of cake!

Spirit Walker
05-20-2013, 13:25
Fiddlehead gave a good summary. But here's my take:

The PCT has a lot of desert hiking, hot and dry, but there is also good trail support so water supplies are generally available at shorter distances than would naturally be the case. Even up north, when you are hiking in the pines, it is still frequently hot and dry until Washington. The trail is built for horses, so well graded and easy underfoot, unlike the rocky, rooty, steep AT. If you have knee problems, the PCT is much easier. The hiking window is shorter on the PCT, because of snow in the Sierras early season (don't want to get there before June) and in the Cascades late season (snow starts falling in September, though many hikers finish in October). On the AT people can start as early as January, or as late as August (SOBO). There are fewer hikers on the PCT, but because they all start at the same time (end of April) you will see crowds at all the towns early in the hike. They spread out later on. There is less of a sense of trail family, because you don't share shelters at night, but there is a real community, especially in the beginning when there are several hostels where people gather. The AT has a lot more precipitation, which means water is easily accessible and you don't have to carry much, but you spend a lot more time walking and sleeping in the rain. On the PCT, you may have to deal with late season snow on the trail and snowmelt, both of which can be dangerous. Both trails have beauty and wildlife. I saw more wildlife on the AT, more and better views on the PCT. There are more first time hikers on the AT, and it is pretty forgiving of inexperience. On the PCT, you have to do at least 15 miles your first day on the trail, and at least that much most days after because of the distance between water sources. It's not that difficult, as in the desert most hikers begin hiking before dawn, take a break during the hottest part of the day, then hike into dusk, but you want to be in pretty good shape starting out. On the AT you can start with 5 mile days if you need to. I averaged 12 mpd on the AT, 19 on the PCT, and felt the PCT was much easier on my body - but then, I also did it when I was more experienced.

Dogwood
05-20-2013, 13:48
Which is tougher - AT or PCT?It's relative. No one answer that covers that question. This question has been asked MANY times AND has had MANY posters offer extensive opinions on it here on WB.

Dogwood
05-20-2013, 13:51
Who makes a better GF/wife - a blond, brunette, redhead, or silver haired? Similar question that can be debated from here until the end of eternity.

Rasty
05-20-2013, 13:59
Who makes a better GF/wife - a blond, brunette, redhead, or silver haired? Similar question that can be debated from here until the end of eternity.

A Red head with a few grey strands is clearly the best wife!

Cookerhiker
05-20-2013, 14:02
On some parts of the PCT, bear canisters are required which adds weight and reduces flexibility in your pack.

Dogwood
05-20-2013, 14:08
I say a FEISTY FRESH blue eyed blond when I'm in my late teens/early twenties, thin light brown eyed brunette mid life, and green eyed redhead with a few grey streaks later on. WATCH OUT for those green/hazel eyes Redheads though. Heck, I love em all. What were we talking about again?

Dogwood
05-20-2013, 14:12
Rasty, I know your redheaded wife was looking over your shoulder when you wrote that. I guess when she saw what you wrote she agreed to make you that sandwich you asked her for 5 times. Oh baby you're so sweet. You're the best. You complete me. Of course, I'll make you that sandwich. What would you like on it?

Different Socks
05-20-2013, 14:25
AT is tougher. I would gladly do the PCT again before doing the AT. I tell people all the time, you got a choice: do the PCT first.

Different Socks
05-20-2013, 14:26

Redheads are the best