PDA

View Full Version : Are thru hikers taking video getting annoying?

TheYoungOne
05-20-2013, 14:54
I'll admit it, I enjoy watching video journals of people doing a thru hike. I probably will never do a thru hike of the AT, at least in this decade, so its neat to be able to see what its like. Also its the ultimate reality show, who is going to make it , how isn't, etc.

That said I'm noticing an exponential jump in thru hikers doing videos, and some seem to be getting annoying, like filming everyone at a shelter and doing interviews on the fly when some obviously look uncomfortable or don't feel like talking.

Do you think the trail getting annoying with people talking to their extended hiking poles and playing 60 minutes at the shelters?

Donde
05-20-2013, 15:00
Hell there is some goofball over on TJ's with 20 some odd videos, hasn't even set foot on a trail yet.

atmilkman
05-20-2013, 15:04
Blame it on choreographed, rehearsed, and staged reality TV.

hikerboy57
05-20-2013, 15:12
Hell there is some goofball over on TJ's with 20 some odd videos, hasn't even set foot on a trail yet.
i believe hes on our own journals as well

rocketsocks
05-20-2013, 15:12
Everyone deserves their 15 min of fame...Naw I don't mind, but I don't watch em all either...only when I need a fix, So...

MDSection12
05-20-2013, 15:16
Funny, this is exactly what I'm always thinking watching those types of videos... I understand a little bit of talking to the camera on a long, lonely stretch of trail but the guys who walk around shelters forcing people to say 'hello' and the like just make me cringe.

DandT40
05-20-2013, 15:18
As a noob I really enjoyed watching every video I could find just to get a sense of what it was like out there. Shots of particular shelters that I was going to visit were extremely valuable to see what I was getting into. I think they are great to give people that can not hike the trail often or at all an idea of what it is like. Are some very boring and pointless? Sure, but you don't have to watch. Just click on something else...

MDSection12
05-20-2013, 15:21
As a noob I really enjoyed watching every video I could find just to get a sense of what it was like out there. Shots of particular shelters that I was going to visit were extremely valuable to see what I was getting into. I think they are great to give people that can not hike the trail often or at all an idea of what it is like. Are some very boring and pointless? Sure, but you don't have to watch. Just click on something else...

I think you missed the point...

Spirit Bear
05-20-2013, 15:25
I just finished hiking from Neel gap to Standing Indian and filmed and shot pictures along the way, I never turned my camera on at a shelter, it was to weird to do it. I just did it when I was alone or I would walk off and talk. I did interview a couple of people but after I got to know them and got their permission. A few really great people I met on the trail I didn't get to interview though. A Camera only captures half of the magic and experience on the trail.

DandT40
05-20-2013, 15:56
I think you missed the point...
I think you missed my point.

hikerboy57
05-20-2013, 15:59
I think you missed my point.
its a double edged sword. from your standpoint, the information is invaluable and does give you a sense of what the trail is really like. from a hikers standpoint, it can get annoying having pople walking around with cameras.

rocketsocks
05-20-2013, 16:01
its a double edged sword. from your standpoint, the information is invaluable and does give you a sense of what the trail is really like. from a hikers standpoint, it can get annoying having pople walking around with cameras.I think this sums up the whole topic perfectly!

hikerboy57
05-20-2013, 16:03
I think this sums up the whole topic perfectly!
hey with hikermomkd on the trail, someone here has to mediate!!

rocketsocks
05-20-2013, 16:16
hey with hikermomkd on the trail, someone here has to mediate!!You got some big shoes to fill...she's good!

WingedMonkey
05-20-2013, 16:26
Well..to see the video I have to go look for them, same as with journals. Don't take me long to realize if I'm interested or not.

I'm more annoyed by the videos that keep popping up in White Blaze posts that have nothing to do with the thread.

TheYoungOne
05-20-2013, 16:28
Funny, this is exactly what I'm always thinking watching those types of videos... I understand a little bit of talking to the camera on a long, lonely stretch of trail but the guys who walk around shelters forcing people to say 'hello' and the like just make me cringe.

Exactly, I don't fault anyone for filming when they are alone on the trail, or to say hi to the folks back home, but the forced interviews and the "Smile for the camera, even though I don't even know you" seem rude. Think of going to a McDonalds or a Gas Station, and while you are eating, or filling up your gas tank you have somebody walk up to you with a camera taking video and say, "Hey what are you eating?" , "Are you filling up with Premium or 87" "You know you got a booger hanging out your nose?" and then uploading the video to Youtube without your permission.

On the one hand like DandT40 said, the videos are good for those who are prepping for a hike, or who will never be able to hike and just want to see what its like. However is this trend going to ruin the AT hiking experience, where an every encounter with other hikers on the trail turns into a forced interview, and every summit and special point on the trial you have multiple hikers talking to themselves and doing press conferences with anyone who stummbles by.

Some of us hike to enjoy nature and want to get away.

Tuckahoe
05-20-2013, 16:33
its a double edged sword. from your standpoint, the information is invaluable and does give you a sense of what the trail is really like. from a hikers standpoint, it can get annoying having pople walking around with cameras.

Sums it up well...

Honestly Ive nver thought about the issue though. From my perspective being a museum exhibit at work, I've become pretty accustomed to folks sticking cameras in my face

rocketsocks
05-20-2013, 16:35
Well..to see the video I have to go look for them, same as with journals. Don't take me long to realize if I'm interested or not.

I'm more annoyed by the videos that keep popping up in White Blaze posts that have nothing to do with the thread.
:eek: tha'd be me...:o

Water Rat
05-20-2013, 16:39
Love the videos of scenery and "places to see" on the trail... I enjoyed Loner's videos last year because they were about his hike. Cannot stand the videos where people have obviously been filmed without their permission. It's one thing to film the trail and share it. It's another ballgame when someone walks up to a stranger, films them (without permission), and puts it on the internet.

When I go hiking, I especially do not want some stranger just walking up and filming me. That is just plain creepy. I am not an animal in the zoo. I am not out there for some stranger to film and put on the internet as part of "their" experience.

DandT40
05-20-2013, 16:46
Yeah I totally get that. I would very rudely tell someone to get the you know what camera out of my face if I was at a shelter and they wanted to shove it in my face. But that goes for a lot of things. Like someone else said - I hike to get out into nature. And frankly to get away from ALL people especially when I am setting up camp for the night. But due to the availability of sleeping areas and the popularity of the AT particularly in certain areas, interacting and basically living with strangers is part of it. At some level you have to HYOH and not let these little things ruin your experience.

Praha4
05-20-2013, 16:47
We are living in the Facebook/Twitter/Youtube generation. IMO with some hikers, the production of the video takes precedence over the hike. I've seen a few youtube videos where the hiker only does a 4-5 mile hike, and produces a 20-30 minute video...complete with dramatic background music. That said, nobody has to watch the videos if they dont' want to. I've been lucky so far, have not run into any hikers making movies or videos along the trail.

on my 2010 AT section hike from Springer to Damascus, I ran into Lint near Clingman's Dome... asked him if he was doing a Trail Journal on his thru hike, and he said no, he thought there were too many Trail Journals online, and with so many they just become noise. Now I get what he was saying ... Trail Journals can be fun to read, but some get a bit long in the tooth like a dear diary.

srvand02
05-20-2013, 17:02
I second not wanting to be recorded unless I'm cool with the person first. It is creepy: I have a video of my own where I'm finishing a 40-miler in the Smokies and trying to say hi to friends, and this hole time an old touristy guy is asking me 21 questions like: You're by yourself? See any bears? Is that your backpack? Ugh.

On a brighter side, this is one of my fav thru-hike vids on youtube, because it only features the couple (except for a few random stragglers in background shots). Check it out:
http://youtu.be/5Tpvzsq2VAg

Spirit Bear
05-20-2013, 17:09
FM's videos were the worst I have seen. He filmed all the time putting people on the spot. Still though he was well liked and several people watched his vids. I think it's just apart of the trail now. Everyone is updating a blog, youtube site, or twitter page/facebook on the trail so family and friends back home can see. I think if someone doesn't want to be on film they will let the person know.

Sarcasm the elf
05-20-2013, 17:20
Never encountered this issue on the trail...

Just one of the many reasons I feel fortunate that i'm able to do most of my A.T. hiking during the off season. :sun

LostandFound
05-20-2013, 18:23
I think videos like the one Mancub & Kitfox did are fantastic. It's such an awesome way to preserve or share your experience. When people see me carrying my big DSLR connected to a collapsable tripod, they think I am the biggest idiot. Maybe I am, but hiking without it would bum me out. I never infringe on others' privacy though, and most of experiences have been on other trails without shelters.

Wise Old Owl
05-20-2013, 18:54
I second not wanting to be recorded unless I'm cool with the person first. It is creepy: I have a video of my own where I'm finishing a 40-miler in the Smokies and trying to say hi to friends, and this hole time an old touristy guy is asking me 21 questions like: You're by yourself? See any bears? Is that your backpack? Ugh.

On a brighter side, this is one of my fav thru-hike vids on youtube, because it only features the couple (except for a few random stragglers in background shots). Check it out:

With that post quite possibly the most inspiring video I have seen to date. THANK YOU!

Dogwood
05-20-2013, 19:10
I only get annoyed if I ALLOW myself to get annoyed.

Double Wide
05-20-2013, 20:26
I loved the ManCub and KitFox video--I sent it to everyone a couple months back when I first saw it. While I watched all of Fatherman's videos, and enjoyed them for the most part, they did get kind of repetitive and I didn't enjoy them as much towards the end. And while I subscribe to the 'Hitched Hike' updates and videos, they aren't nearly as funny or entertaining as they try to be. Actually, they try to hard to be funny and a lot of it comes off as just stupid.

Of course, being a trail junkie, I still watch them--there is still good info to be had, the girl in the video is naturally funny, her husband not quite as much, and their third-wheel friend, annoying as hell.

Double Wide
05-20-2013, 20:27
Actually, they try to hard to be funny and a lot of it comes off as just stupid.

"too"

Damn I hate brainless typos.

Venchka
05-20-2013, 20:55
Yes. One reason that I hike, or bike or canoe tour is to escape technolgy. The only electrical thing I carry is a small flashlight and a couple AA batteries.
Folks who are addicted to their tech toys make my skin crawl.

Wayne
Picking up his Guide to the Wind River Range.

kayak karl
05-21-2013, 06:28
i haven't watch one yet and won't. i did watch the traildays one and that song one, half way there.
the how-to ones that people take as fact, not just one persons opinion are a real joke. :)

BostonBlue
05-21-2013, 07:39
The Mancub and Kitfox video is great. I just couldn't get into FM's videos, but a friend of mine lived for them and is still talking about them. The best videos in my opinion have been Loner's.

heavyfoot
05-21-2013, 10:43
Yes. One reason that I hike, or bike or canoe tour is to escape technolgy. The only electrical thing I carry is a small flashlight and a couple AA batteries. Folks who are addicted to their tech toys make my skin crawl.

+1, Venchka.

BirdBrain
05-21-2013, 11:20

Loved the video. Haven't watched one that I hate. If it is bad, I don't watch. Loved the music. He is worthy to be praised.

Praha4
05-21-2013, 11:40
this is my favorite thru-hike video/slide show on youtube, by Daniel with his dog Kooper in 2010. I hiked with Daniel and Kooper off and on from Tray Mtn. to Standing Bear Farm in 2010, it's a great video, one of the few I like.

"Thru-Hike with a Dog"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lif6o8iE5cA

The Ace
05-21-2013, 11:57
Oh no, a new reality network TV show! Twelve twenty-something educated professionals,male and female, set out to hike the AT. Somebody drops out in each episode. The winner is the sole survivor who makes it to Katahdin. The drama starts in the first episode when theyreach Hawk Mountain Shelter and Jessica says, “Um, like where is MY room?”

BostonBlue
05-21-2013, 12:07
Oh no, a new reality network TV show! Twelve twenty-something educated professionals,male and female, set out to hike the AT. Somebody drops out in each episode. The winner is the sole survivor who makes it to Katahdin. The drama starts in the first episode when theyreach Hawk Mountain Shelter and Jessica says, “Um, like where is MY room?”

LOL Do NOT suggest that! It will be picked up in a heartbeat! The trail is crowded enough as it is without a whole cast and television crew!

Half Note
05-21-2013, 13:40
I'll admit I'll be doing a lot of footage (no pun intended) on my journey. I know I will go to great lengths to try and capture some cool shots. I certainly don't see myself getting all up in people's business though. I just want to make a quality video that I can share with people in the end and have something to show the kids someday.

I think one reason why people like Mancub and Kitfox's video so much is because it is edited really well. Anyone who has dealt with video production knows you have to capture a lot of footage to pick and choose from to make the end result better.

IrishBASTARD
05-21-2013, 13:49
Hiker"boy" the original post is in cocerns of "shelters", not the PHYSICAL TRAIL, what so ever. Anyone who wants to shove a camera in someones face, or take pictures of a person, without their permission, should have to pay up, aka a snickers bar for every person, at said shelter or in said photo. As a joke its amusing, in all seriousness it would stop harassment of hikers, its our home for the long haul, you want to ask people so be it, but put a camera in someones face, and they don't like it and break it, well its you're own damned fault. People have a right to enjoy nature without being visually/verbally molested, however a person does not have a right anywhere to harass people, whether on trail in town or at a shelter. How is it "what the trail is really like", it doesn't show a persons drive or will nor want, video is just that video, its not the true feeling and enjoyment from the body mind nor spirit, but rather a trip down a long path. Thankfully for everyone, smell-o-vision does not exist, or the issue would be void of any concerns, as who wants to smell a hiker.

hikerboy57
05-21-2013, 13:52
Hiker"boy" the original post is in cocerns of "shelters", not the PHYSICAL TRAIL, what so ever. Anyone who wants to shove a camera in someones face, or take pictures of a person, without their permission, should have to pay up, aka a snickers bar for every person, at said shelter or in said photo. As a joke its amusing, in all seriousness it would stop harassment of hikers, its our home for the long haul, you want to ask people so be it, but put a camera in someones face, and they don't like it and break it, well its you're own damned fault. People have a right to enjoy nature without being visually/verbally molested, however a person does not have a right anywhere to harass people, whether on trail in town or at a shelter. How is it "what the trail is really like", it doesn't show a persons drive or will nor want, video is just that video, its not the true feeling and enjoyment from the body mind nor spirit, but rather a trip down a long path. Thankfully for everyone, smell-o-vision does not exist, or the issue would be void of any concerns, as who wants to smell a hiker.
we are more in agreement than youthink. i was responding to an individual statement

Venchka
05-21-2013, 13:54
+1, Venchka.

Thanks! I was beginning to think that I was alone in the Wilderness.

Wayne
Wishing I were alone in the Wilderness.

T.S.Kobzol
05-21-2013, 17:03
Besides pure "vigilante - justice" the law is actually not in your favor. Anyone in public space is fair game when it comes to being photographed. There is no law that requires you to ask for permission. Also to upload to the internet or to make part of art viewing there is jo requirement to obtain permission. Only if persons likeness is used for commercial ad campains....aka big money...is a model release required. Those are US laws. Other countries may and do differ.

sent from samsonite using tapioca 2

T.S.Kobzol
05-21-2013, 17:15
I would be probably one of the grumpy faces if you stuck a camera in front of me when I am not in a mood but on the other hand it takes a real effort to produce something, a lot of work and dedication. I part of me sympathizes with the efforts to create something instead of just consuming... anyway, here is a link to the http://petapixel.com/assets/store/photographersrights.txtrules

sent from samsonite using tapioca 2