PDA

View Full Version : Neel Gap, GA to Standing Indian, NC

Spirit Bear
05-20-2013, 15:12
I did it, I hiked the entire Ga section of trail now, I started at springer and wen to neal gap last summer. Those 31 miles beat me down. Since I changed some things in my pack and did a 60 mile hike from Neal gap, Ga to Standing Indian mtn NC. Took 8 days and really finished in 7. I opted to sleep at the Standing Indian Shelter a mile from the summit on Friday. I am doing an 8 part series on the section hike with video and pictures I shot along the way. You're welcome to watch. Link Below...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1gaxxok3NM&lcor=1&lc=pjxdqUKnlJzJLJ2LTjA7orE13diBwhJcbHkMV6is9ho&lch=email&feature=em-comment_receivedhttps://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/p480x480/923381_10201182127417538_1072662407_n.jpghttps://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/s720x720/316288_10201182102616918_1491663941_n.jpg

Moogie
05-20-2013, 15:48
Congrats Spirit. Very funny because i am in the same exact position. Did Springer to Neel's 2 years ago, and I am flying out Friday to do Neel's to Standing Indian. I have a few questions if you would be so kind:

1. Springer to Neel's kicked my butt also. Being from Illinois, was not used to hiking in the mountains. How was Neel's to Standing Indian compared to the first part?
2. How did you get from Standing Indian back to civilization?
3. You say it took you 7 days, what was your mileage per day? Where did you stop each night? I have an idea of my schedule, but would like to hear how you did it.

Congrats again, and thanks for your input.

Moogie

Spirit Bear
05-20-2013, 17:20
Congrats Spirit. Very funny because i am in the same exact position. Did Springer to Neel's 2 years ago, and I am flying out Friday to do Neel's to Standing Indian. I have a few questions if you would be so kind:

1. Springer to Neel's kicked my butt also. Being from Illinois, was not used to hiking in the mountains. How was Neel's to Standing Indian compared to the first part?
2. How did you get from Standing Indian back to civilization?
3. You say it took you 7 days, what was your mileage per day? Where did you stop each night? I have an idea of my schedule, but would like to hear how you did it.

Congrats again, and thanks for your input.

Moogie
1. Personally, I think It is more difficult and more ups and downs than the first 30 miles. Also more views. 2. Once you summit standing indian there is a sign that says standing indian at the top. NC does a great job the first 10 miles anyway marking summits and gaps. Opposite of the sign there is a blue blaze trail titled east ridge trail or something like that, it's the ONLY blue blaze across from the summit sign. Follow it down it will go right into standing indian campground. It is 4 miles straight down though and the trail isn't maintained well. Once at the campground ask where the campstore is, have your ride pick you up there. They also have hot showers for 2 bucks and some snacks and cokes, etc. If you don't have a ride option I would contact or coordinate someone to pick you up, call ron with the low budget inn, he could set you up with a ride, but it will not be cheap, they charged me 15 bucks just to go from Unicoi to Helen one way in the off season. Or you could hitch a ride into whichever town nearby you plan on getting a bus/plain ride. The campground is very nice with tons of old retirees there willing to help a hiker. Not a shady campground at all. 3. I averaged 9 miles per day. first day-8 miles to White Oak Stamp (Campsite, nothing great), 2nd day 11 miles to blue mountain shelter, 3rd day 2 or 3 miles down into Unicoi gap and got a ride to the helendorf inn in Helen, GA. 4th day 10 miles to Sassafrass Gap (campsite, nothing spectacular but a spring nearby straight down hill) 5th day 6 miles into dicks creek gap and got a ride into a bed and breakfast near Hiawassee, 6th day 8 miles I think over the border to bly gap (great campsite), 7th day 7 miles to standing indian shelter, 8th day 5 miles (1 on the AT 4 on the blue blaze) to standing indian campground and picked up. Remember the AT does a random circle around this area so if you have a guidebook, you could opt to keep on the AT for 20 miles to Albert Mountain I believe and the campground is near by.