PDA

View Full Version : Visa minefield!!

steveb88
07-13-2005, 08:45
I'm from the UK and currently planning a 2006 thru hike. Is there anyone out there who has sucessfully negotiated the visa/immigration minefield who might have any advice for me?

I can enter the US on a visa waiver, but only for 3 months at a time but i'd like to walk it all in one go...

any info much appreciated!

Steve B

Sly
07-13-2005, 09:32
It's obvious immigration didn't have thru-hikers in mind when they came out with the three month visa.

Although it will cost you, I'd say the best way to go would be to start at Harpers Ferry, hike to Maine, a plane or bus from Bangor to Montreal, re-up your visa, a flight to DC, a train back to Harpers and hike to Springer.

Or just hike the trail in however long it takes on your three month visa. What are they going to do, deport you?

dougmeredith
07-13-2005, 10:25
Or just hike the trail in however long it takes on your three month visa. What are they going to do, deport you? This might be good advice, but you should probably check with a <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">US</st1:country-region></st1:place> immigration attorney before trying this.

Doug

Sly
07-13-2005, 10:30
Well, gee, if he's here illegally they may give him a drivers license, a job and health benefits!

dougmeredith
07-13-2005, 10:40
Sly,

I understood that it would be illegal to overstay the visa. I suggested he speak to an attorney to make sure the ramifications aren't more severe than you suggested.

Doug

Lone Wolf
07-13-2005, 10:43
Be happy and thankful you get 3 months. It's just a trail.

steveb88
07-13-2005, 11:56
I believe there's a Visa that you can apply for that allows longer stays - I just wondered if anyone had any experience of that process - interviews at the embassy etc...

Sly
07-13-2005, 11:57
Be happy and thankful you get 3 months. It's just a trail.

It's also a stupid rule.

Do you think anyone with malicious intent cares about how long their legal visa is? Last I heard UK was an ally.

Doug, about over staying was mostly in jest, yes he should look into it. I know times have changed, but when I over stayed in Afghanistan by 7 months many years ago, it cost me about $60.

Alligator
07-13-2005, 12:20
Try PMing madaussieinlondon [Whiteblaze name] aka Bloody Cactus.

MadAussieInLondon
07-13-2005, 14:34
i have, its quite simple to do (get a 6month visa to usa from uk)

what do you want to know?

MadAussieInLondon
07-13-2005, 14:37
Although it will cost you, I'd say the best way to go would be to start at Harpers Ferry, hike to Maine, a plane or bus from Bangor to Montreal, re-up your visa, a flight to DC, a train back to Harpers and hike to Springer.

Or just hike the trail in however long it takes on your three month visa. What are they going to do, deport you?

one, you cant go to montreal and re-up your visa. going to canada and back doesnt count as leaving the country. nor can you go to mexico etc and a whole host of other places and just fly back in.

two, if you overstay your 3 month visa, with current regulations, you either get banned from re-entering usa for good or have an up to five year ban from entering. oh, and yes they will deport you.

Sly
07-13-2005, 14:52
one, you cant go to montreal and re-up your visa. going to canada and back doesnt count as leaving the country. nor can you go to mexico etc and a whole host of other places and just fly back in.

I stand corrected, but I thought a friend from Switzerland did just that.

So how do you get a six month visa?

steveb88
07-13-2005, 14:53
Nice one - I guess I'll give the US embassy a call and see what I have to do, from their website it looks like a ball-ache of a procedure, but we'll have to see.

I don't want to risk the wrath of the authorities by overstaying, as there's lots I want to see in the US in future. Also I don't want to have to think too much about schedules etc, just enjoy the hike. Flights, work, mortgages etc mean breaking the trip in two becomes difficult.

Cheers all for you words of wisdom, 'See you on the trail' as they say!!

MadAussieInLondon
07-13-2005, 17:46
well its easy to get a 6 motnh visa to the usa. just need 6 months.

get the paperwork for a b1/b2 visa (holiday). (6 months is the max you can get).
fill it out, send it in, pay your visa fee. they give you a letter that tells you to ring for an appointment. you go, they stamp it, ta-da. thats it.

you have to show you have a contact address in the usa (ie: hotel where you are staying first night, etc). show you have money in your account, etc.

Kaptain Kangaroo
07-13-2005, 22:43
Hi Steve,

I just received my US visa for my 2006 thru-hike. I applied from Australia but the process seems to be the same from the UK. Go to the US Consulate web site for the details

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new/visa/niv/index.html

My visa is valid for 5 years (multiple entries). The visa itself does not specify the length of time you may stay in the US on each trip. This is apparently determined by the immigration official at the point of entry (hopefully they will give me the 6 months I need !!)

I had to go into the consulate for an interview, but this was far more waiting than actual interview. I was only in the interview for about 3 minutes. They asked a few questions about my hiking plans & then wished me luck !

Good Luck & I might see you on the trail next year (starting early March)

Cheers,

Chris

Bob Baker
07-14-2005, 20:44
Something that nobody has mentioned is just hiking it fast. If you are physically fit enough and have the drive 30ish miles a day is possible. But...I would definately try for the 6 month visa if you are having doubts. Good Luck

jackiebolen
07-15-2005, 00:37
I met a guy from Tokyo on the trail last year who was doing the trail 2 years in a row, 1000 miles each summer. There was just no way that he could get a visa for 6 months. This could maybe be an option if you don't get your 6-month visa worked out. Doesn't seem so bad actually. Long enough to be on the trail and communing with nature, but not so long that you get sick of hiking. Then you have something to look forward to the next summer.