PDA

View Full Version : sleeping bag

GA/MEon14
05-20-2013, 19:25
Does anyone have experience with Nemo Nocturne 30 degree bag? In the market for a new bag and I like the concept behind this one. Anyone know of anything comparable?

Venchka
05-21-2013, 10:14
All I know is what Google knows.
The Nemo bag sells for $350 at REI. Weight = 2 pounds 2 ounces. Fill weight unspecified-never a good sign. Imported.
For $355 you can buy a Western Mountaineering 32° Summerlite bag. 10 ounces of 850 down. Total weight = 1 pound 3 ounces. Made in U.S.A.
I own a 0° WM bag and will probably buy a sub-2 pound 20°-30° bag from them in the near future. Buy quality once.

Wayne

treesloth
05-21-2013, 10:27
All I know is what Google knows.
The Nemo bag sells for $350 at REI. Weight = 2 pounds 2 ounces. Fill weight unspecified-never a good sign. Imported.
For $355 you can buy a Western Mountaineering 32° Summerlite bag. 10 ounces of 850 down. Total weight = 1 pound 3 ounces. Made in U.S.A.
I own a 0° WM bag and will probably buy a sub-2 pound 20°-30° bag from them in the near future. Buy quality once.

Wayne

Nemo is a quality company as well, with a dedicated following that has spurred their growth. All they are trying to do is produce a good bag that caters more to side/stomach sleepers, approx 60% of us. I was not aware that they outsourced to China, but they are not the only Cottage Manufacturer that does. I cannot lie on my stomach and bring a knee up to one side (the way I sleep) in a mummy bag. I use quilts, which work great for that. For colder weather, I have been researching these line of bags, and Montbell's 'spiral' line. To answer the OP's question, Montbell is the only other bag that is comparable because of its ability to stretch.

FTR, I have had a WM MightyLite for over a decade now and I can't comment enough on its quality. I just have to open it up into comforter mode if I want to comfortably sleep under it. :-)

Full specs can be found here: http://www.nemoequipment.com/product/?Nocturne+30F+Reg

Venchka
05-21-2013, 13:23
Different strokes for different folks. Makes the world go 'round.
Special needs understood. You are paying a premium in inferior down and an extra pound.
Good luck!

Wayne

Dogwood
05-21-2013, 14:04
Wanting to sack out in a fetal position like you're back in the womb sucking on your toes and licking your knee caps when in a sleeping bag can have it's consequences.

Dogwood
05-21-2013, 14:13
I'm a side sleeper starting out on my back and going from side to side throughout the night. I guess it comes from a mother who was pregnant with me while also being a downhill skier. Anyhow, IMO, IF you are informed about bag dimensions, shape, etc and your measurement needs based on how you sleep and your sleeping desires you can correctly pair up conventional sleeping bags. Two things I never do(ANYMORE!) - Buy shoes or sleeping bags without first trying them out and putting them through their paces.

treesloth
05-21-2013, 14:15
Wanting to sack out in a fetal position like you're back in the womb sucking on your toes and licking your knee caps when in a sleeping bag can have it's consequences.

Such as? This should be good, knowing some of your posts.

Dogwood
05-21-2013, 14:35
You aren't baiting me with that question!

Dogwood
05-21-2013, 14:42
Different strokes for different folks. Makes the world go 'round.
Special needs understood. You are paying a premium in inferior down and an extra pound.
Good luck!

Wayne

Hear ya but the BEST down and lightest bag mean nothing if it doesn't pair up well with you, how you sleep, how you will be using it, etc. I would LOVE going with the lightest wt highest end 900 down quilt in sub 10* temps and own a Feathered Friends UL Hummingbird but I'm not going to do it because those don't match my body shape, how I sleep, or how I gear up.

Venchka
05-21-2013, 17:06
Does anyone have experience with Nemo Nocturne 30 degree bag? In the market for a new bag and I like the concept behind this one. Anyone know of anything comparable?

This is the original post. NO special requirements mentioned.
If a consumer has special requirements AND understands that the latest Gee Whiz Gizmo has drawbacks in other areas of the product AND still prefers the new Gizmo, GO FOR IT!
Just saying.

Wayne