PDA

View Full Version : Some general thoughts on the Trail Days incident

Gramps
05-20-2013, 22:19
From all accounts I've read, it sounds like the actions of all involved in the tragic accident during the hiker parade this past weekend were outstanding, both emergency personnel & civilians alike. As a former FF/EMT of over 31 years, I experienced more than my share of tragic happenings, although fortunately nothing of this magnitude. I did attend several training classes on Mass Casualty Incidents on everything from single car accidents to buses, trains and airliners. I feel confident in saying I'm sure the Damascus & Washington Co. emergency responders have had similiar training classes but doubt they ever expected something like this. There will be incident critiques involving all agencies. But there will also be PISDs (post-incident stress debriefings) where they will talk with health professionals and be allowed to get it all out. I also attended several PISDs which helped tremedously after a difficult call. I just hope that anyone of you who happened to be there and experienced it will seek help should the need arise. Symptons include trouble eating, sleeping, interacting with others or just generally coping with daily events. It doesn't have to be the proverbial shrink; a member of the clergy, a family member, or even a fellow hiker. But get it off your chest and don't hold it in. Again, kudos to all involved.

TOW
05-21-2013, 06:00
Our Damascus Police Dept trains constantly for worse case scenerios. When Bill Nunley took over the department he took over a very corrupt department. With that in mind as he approached the situation he began implimenting rules of conduct along with constant training. He began an Explorers program as well where young folk who may be interested in becoming a police officer can participate and train as well. Besides that Bill got the community involved with things like the Neighborhood Watch Program, clinics on drug abuse, and fundraisers. He has an open door policy as well where if you have a complaint against an officer you can have a pow wow about it.

I could go on and on about how this well respected man has brought this department together to make it what it is, and our EMS and Fire Department has been right in there with the training as well. What we have here are a bunch of folk who generally get along well with each other and their community.

And I am with you on this as well, the mind is a funny thing after witnessing, or being part of a tragedy. Sometimes it goes dormant and you do not think it bothered you and then all at once something little triggers all those emotions and yu along with friends and family wonder what made you react like you did. So if you have witnessed this by all means talk about it as much as you need to, get in touch with those emotions and deal with it before it deals with you.

BostonBlue
05-21-2013, 07:42
Our Damascus Police Dept trains constantly for worse case scenerios. When Bill Nunley took over the department he took over a very corrupt department. With that in mind as he approached the situation he began implimenting rules of conduct along with constant training. He began an Explorers program as well where young folk who may be interested in becoming a police officer can participate and train as well. Besides that Bill got the community involved with things like the Neighborhood Watch Program, clinics on drug abuse, and fundraisers. He has an open door policy as well where if you have a complaint against an officer you can have a pow wow about it.

I could go on and on about how this well respected man has brought this department together to make it what it is, and our EMS and Fire Department has been right in there with the training as well. What we have here are a bunch of folk who generally get along well with each other and their community.

And I am with you on this as well, the mind is a funny thing after witnessing, or being part of a tragedy. Sometimes it goes dormant and you do not think it bothered you and then all at once something little triggers all those emotions and yu along with friends and family wonder what made you react like you did. So if you have witnessed this by all means talk about it as much as you need to, get in touch with those emotions and deal with it before it deals with you.

tow-excellent advice.