PDA

View Full Version : Gorham NH Shuttle or Hitchhike?

Rasty
05-21-2013, 14:08
Anyone know of a good way to get to Grafton Notch from Gorham on June 3rd under $110 for a shuttle? Is this road a decent place to hitch on?

joshuasdad
05-21-2013, 14:23
Posting here is probably a good way.

I'll be there over 4th of July week, and plan to do that section SOBO with some car support, likely starting the 4th or 5th. Others may be hiking that section as well. I considered going on the NJ AMC trip (I believe it was over Labor Day), but I think they were taking 5-6 days for the section, and I did not have that kind of time.

If our paths cross, I'm sure we can find some room in the van.

Rasty
05-21-2013, 14:34
Posting here is probably a good way.

I'll be there over 4th of July week, and plan to do that section SOBO with some car support, likely starting the 4th or 5th. Others may be hiking that section as well. I considered going on the NJ AMC trip (I believe it was over Labor Day), but I think they were taking 5-6 days for the section, and I did not have that kind of time.

If our paths cross, I'm sure we can find some room in the van.

Appreciate the offer! I'm going at the begining of June though.

joshuasdad
05-21-2013, 14:45
Hope you have fun! I assume you know about the black flies (love Mother's (Day), hate Father's (Day))...

Rasty
05-21-2013, 14:55
Hope you have fun! I assume you know about the black flies (love Mother's (Day), hate Father's (Day))...

Yes....should be fun!

Migrating Bird
05-21-2013, 15:11
Regarding a shuttle, call White Birches Campground, http://www.whitebirchescampingpark.com/ There was a guy named Bruce that shuttled me from there or at least they will know of someone. Rt 2 is an OK hitch but form/to Grafton Notch SP is much less traveled. Have a great hike.

Rasty
05-21-2013, 15:32
Regarding a shuttle, call White Birches Campground, http://www.whitebirchescampingpark.com/ There was a guy named Bruce that shuttled me from there or at least they will know of someone. Rt 2 is an OK hitch but form/to Grafton Notch SP is much less traveled. Have a great hike.

Thank you!

Cookerhiker
05-21-2013, 17:30
FWIW, I hitched from Grafton Notch to Bethel which is down the road from Gorham. Took 40 minutes from Grafton to get a ride but only 10 minutes on the return trip.

Facing a $110 shuttle, I'd hitch.

Rasty
05-21-2013, 17:38
I'm probably going to hitch! Don't tell my wife. :eek:

Bobby
05-21-2013, 19:58
I'm probably going to hitch! Don't tell my wife. :eek:

I've done that hitch a couple of times - twice it was a multi-car hitch. Getting to the parking lot at Grafton notch is the tricky part - it is down a road that really isn't a main way to anywhere, but as long as you are smiling and have some time - it's totally doable. Obviously if you can hitch at a time of day people are on their way to the trails to go for a hike, you will have much better luck.

I like hitching up there - I've never gone without a ride. If I have my girlfriend with me, sometimes i can't even get my pack off before we get picked up!

peakbagger
05-22-2013, 06:37
Its a double hitch, lots of thru traffic from Gorham to north bound RT 26 and then highly likely you will need to hitch up RT 26 which gets a fair share of traffic. One thing to watch out for is much traffic goes on to RT 26 south bound you dont want to go there. Your sign should read AT Grafton Notch or Rumford.