PDA

View Full Version : Molas Pass to Junction Creek

dmath010
05-22-2013, 00:55
Looking to do Molas Pass to Junction Creek in 7 days, taking my time and enjoying the scenery. I'm acclimated to the altitude as I live about an hour out of Durango. For aesthetic value and logistics (1 re supply), would you recommend sobo or nobo? Thanks!

Mags
05-22-2013, 01:11
I would rather hike to Durango if logistics are the main concern. Though hitching to Durango from molas pass would be long but doable.

echoes
05-22-2013, 01:17
That is a beautiful section of the trail. It is probably a lot easier going sobo. Nobo would have a 5,000' climb right from the start with a full pack. Not sure where you're planning to resupply. There isn't really anywhere to resupply between Durango and Silverton that I'm aware of, unless you have someone meet you somewhere.

Dogwood
05-22-2013, 02:04
Molas Pass to Junction Creek. It's only like 70 or so miles. I wouldn't resupply. I don't have any maps or info in front of me but there are a few well maintained dirt roads you could get a resupply into if you felt you had to do that. Could have someone cache a box in a predetermined place. There are people that go back into these dirt FS road areas. Just how many someone else would know bettter but if during a weekend or fall hunting season it could be done by making afew calls. Or else....?

Cookerhiker
05-22-2013, 09:06
Hike SOBO, Molas Pass to Junction Creek. I don't recall any easy resupply options in that stretch.

garlic08
05-22-2013, 12:19
That's a simple logistics area. No need for resupply and it would be very difficult there. You can take the narrow gauge train to Elk Park and walk back to your car in Durango.