PDA

View Full Version : Thru Hiker in Emergency Help needed!

Flash Hand
07-13-2005, 16:47
Hi

I am a thru hiker, stranded in Luray, VA with lost wallet. I plan to arrive Harpers Ferry, W. VA this Monday. So I need some temporary help with cash for food and keep me moving... so if you can help contribute some money cash for my food, just send it to Allan Bernier, "Flash Hand" C/0 ATC 799 Washington St, Harpers Ferry, West VA 25425 So that I can have some cash to buy food, room and hostel uses, etc. I am working on receiving new bank replacement card. It may take a few days to process and I dont want to die hunger haha... Its only temporary. thank you very much for your help. Only send cash or donation tonight or tomorrow.. dont send it on Friday cuz it won't get in Harpers Ferry by Monday.

Flash Hand :jump

Lone Wolf
07-13-2005, 17:05
Ask your family.

A-Train
07-13-2005, 17:32
What about lending from your fellow hikers?? When our friend got her gear stolen in Hot Springs, we sent a hat around collecting money for her. All it took was a couple bucks from each person to get her back on her feet. If you can't borrow from trail friends who can you??

Heater
07-13-2005, 17:42
Ask your family.
Maybe the poster shoud read the ongoing thread about self-sufficiency on the trail. This is a good example of what is being talked about. Why would somebody take 6 months out of their life and not plan for something like this? :datz

To come on this forum asking for handouts is a little too much. A little over the line. It's a lot like buying a magic marker and scrapping a peice of cardboard. "Will hike for food" or something along those lines... I get enough of that in the city.

JMO...

DavidNH
07-13-2005, 18:03
While you may well be legit, but posting on the internet like this..this could also be a scam. How can we know? You shoud ask fellow hikers. Expecting money to be freely given to you by posting on the web..well..that is just absurd. sorry.

You might as well sit on a bench in Central Park or Bostons public gardens and have a big sign out.. lost my job please give money.

If you are out for a 5-6 month hike on the AT..you do AT LEAST have an ATM card or credit card. Don't you? If so get them replaced. Talk to people at first town you come to. But dont expect anything from us web white blaze readers.

nhhiker

Trail Dog
07-13-2005, 18:08
hey i think we need to check this guy out. To a rookie cop this sounds a bit shady. Only send cash? any one out there hiking can varify flash hands real name? Sorry it must be this war making me all parinoid and stuff. I would have said send a postal money order for security but I wouldn't be looking for money on whiteblaze first off.

A train is right, where is this guys hiking buddies? Anyone hike with him?

Smile
07-13-2005, 18:18
How about a case of Oodles of Noodles instead of Cash?

Sly
07-13-2005, 18:19
What's so shady about begging? ;)

Youngblood
07-13-2005, 18:48
Flash Hand is one of our own - http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/3529/sort/1/cat/all/page/1 . Sounds like he had a set back and was asking for a little help from his friends. He is deaf so losing his wallet may be a bit more problem for him because of communications in general and over the phone in particular. And cash is probably the only thing he can use for the short term since he lost his wallet and ID.

Youngblood

Tin Man
07-13-2005, 18:49
How does one get to VA without learning the term 'yogi'?

Sly
07-13-2005, 18:59
If you loose your wallet it probably be of no help unless you kept it seperate, but a Paypal debit/Mastercard would be ideal in a similar situation. After a quick email, the loosee could be drinking beer and eating steak.

Think I'll bring mine next hike! :)

Ridge
07-13-2005, 19:06
I was going to send you a maildrop of food, you don't need cash on the trail. I would have been glad to help if you had asked for food, boot wax, candles, matchs, etc. to get you to the next drop. But this whole thing smells worse than my husbands hiking socks!!!!:p

Tha Wookie
07-13-2005, 19:38
gimme a break........:p

wolf
07-13-2005, 19:52
i think you did not loose your money i think you just looking for a mark to get some free money,i have herd of you or some body like you last year on the trail to all hikers dont fall for this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: undefined

orangebug
07-13-2005, 21:35
While it may be a bit over the line to use the forums for fund raising/begging, it is even more over the line to accuse a man of lies and deception.

No one is forced to give Flash Hand a handout. Anyone could send him a food drop or prepay a night at a hostel for him. Only those very familiar with him should feel free to make accusations, and back those accusations up with something more than "i have herd of you or some body like you last year."

The accusations are as impressive as the grammar.

Roland
07-13-2005, 21:38
<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]-->Flash Hand,<o =""></o><!--[endif]-->

I must admit that I was surprised by the apparent lack of compassion demonstrated in this thread. After reading your trail journal however, I too am skeptical.<o =""></o><!--[endif]-->

<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]-->Convince me that this is a bona fide emergency and I’ll help.<o =""></o><!--[endif]-->

<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]-->On the other hand, if this situation is a result of squandering your monthly check on a vacation in DC, lots of zeros and partying, etc, you’ll have difficulty convincing me to support your 6-month vacation, while I bust my ass working 50 hrs/week.<o =""></o><!--[endif]-->

Roland

TakeABreak
07-13-2005, 21:43
Well I agree with most of the above, sounds a little funky coming on here asking for money, it would anyof us just as long to get him a money as it would for his family to do the same, besides how would he cash it anyways without any I.D. Also if the person is in luray and doesn't anything until they get to Harpers Ferry, then what the problem, his family and friends should be able to get him what needs and have it waitning for him when he gets there.

TwoForty
07-13-2005, 22:13
<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]-->Flash Hand,<O =""></O><!--[endif]-->

I must admit that I was surprised by the apparent lack of compassion demonstrated in this thread. After reading your trail journal however, I too am skeptical.<O =""></O><!--[endif]-->

<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]-->Convince me that this is a bona fide emergency and I’ll help.<O =""></O><!--[endif]-->

<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]-->On the other hand, if this situation is a result of squandering your monthly check on a vacation in DC, lots of zeros and partying, etc, you’ll have difficulty convincing me to support your 6-month vacation, while I bust my ass working 50 hrs/week.<O =""></O><!--[endif]-->

RolandI think he has the money, but doesn't have access to it at the moment. If you have a fat bank account but your ATM card is stolen, it takes a while to get to it.
Anyways, good luck finding food. Maybe look at the hiker boxes? I find it hard to believe that someone would join WB just to rip people off 2 years later.

Lone Wolf
07-13-2005, 22:17
What would Earl have done 50-some years ago? :-?

Ridge
07-13-2005, 22:30
What would Earl have done 50-some years ago? :-?
The same thing he would have done, a few years before his death, when he last hiked the AT. He would have "worked for food" on his way up the trail. This is assuming he was careless enough to lose the few bucks he would have had.
R.I.P. Earl!

Tin Man
07-13-2005, 22:40
Maybe we should give the guy the benefit of the doubt and say he is just naive about a few things. The best advice as stated here is to seek assistance from family, friends, or your local fellow hiker. However, if this guy is trying to prey on unsuspecting smaritans, he will get no help from the emminently wise WB members.

Sly
07-14-2005, 00:15
On the other hand, if this situation is a result of squandering your monthly check on a vacation in DC, lots of zeros and partying, etc, you’ll have difficulty convincing me to support your 6-month vacation, while I bust my ass working 50 hrs/week.

Certainly appears that way. :(

Flash Hand
07-14-2005, 10:32
After tremendous of stress I had since, and decided to change my hiking status from Thru-hiker to Section Hiker.. so I am going home and relieve my stress. Its hard to find any communication access except limited library internet access in all towns. You won't be able to find any TTY around in town like you have payphone everywhere.

And, Town of Luray, VA public library have limited Instant Message and it was frequently blocked as I am trying to seek for emergency help. That why it prompted me with last choice, to ask for help here on whiteblaze.net

Thanks for your help anyway, and don't send anything. Bank of America yesterday told me they are expediating a check card in two days and it should be at ATC office right now or tomorrow, which I thought it was 7 to 10 business days. I do have a personal check with me, but WHO would accept my out of state check with no photo ID? (I also lost my driver license)

Yes, It was a lesson learned the hardest way. And, party and zero days? oh well, there is thing I wanted you to know, as a deaf hiker, the communication with hearing hikers are hard. I guess 95% of the time, I stayed in shelter, watching other hikers chatting and socializing. Its hard and extreme frustrating, which is why I took more zero days to socialize in the town and cities. There is one occassion that a hotel room in Waynesboro was full of about 10 thru hikers and apparently NONE of them talked to me. It was extreme hard to hike complete isolation, walked alone in the woods and sitting quietly in the crowded shelter.

You have to be deaf to understand.... its hard and it built up the stress, and finally the stress eaten me up after I lost my wallet and nearly lost my digital camera.

God LOVE to socialize, and thats why the humans are created. So, I believe socializing is the primary reason we are here on the face of the Earth. Socializing is one that I missed the most during thru-hiking attempt. Last year, I hiked with One Leg and our communication is great. None for this year.

Thanks again for your help and I will share my experience during my hiking here on this whiteblaze after I get in Arizona in two weeks.

God Bless

Lone Wolf
07-14-2005, 10:36
So I guess you won't get to see those strippers at the bar in Medway. :D Next year maybe.

Flash Hand
07-14-2005, 10:43
LOL Wolf, I don't know if Maine girls have some good taste as Arizona Girls :p

Lion King
07-14-2005, 10:53
If you are in Harpers Ferry where I am right now, there are about 200 places you can work to earn money.

Sweat it out dog, although there are people who will help you, you goit to help yourself.

Wish you luck.

AT The OUtfitter
LK

Flash Hand
07-14-2005, 14:19
Hey, Just changed my mind and I will resume hiking.. just wish me luck. I know that isolation is tough but I will have to keep my dream alive. I know I am falling serious behind schedule and I would be in PA by July 20.

Ender
07-14-2005, 14:52
Hey, Just changed my mind and I will resume hiking.. just wish me luck. I know that isolation is tough but I will have to keep my dream alive. I know I am falling serious behind schedule and I would be in PA by July 20.

Best of luck, keep on trucking. Sorry about the wallet, but glad it sounds like everything worked out OK.

Flash Hand
07-14-2005, 15:43
I changed my mind AGAIN, im going home because, after getting out of Luray Library, walking to a chamber of commerce, asking same guy for shuttle back to the trail, he refused and said in the morning only and remanants of Dennis is hovering, and don't have place to stay and DON'T feel like hitchhiking in State of Virginia where cops usually stop and give warnings.. so, I thought, I will be happier at home. Sorry for the confusion. I just realized I hated isolation on the trail and at shelter. I never go anywhere walletless and don't feel good about it.

I can go back to AT again but not soon. Maybe after my across USA trips.

Lesson Learned: Leave EARLY, plenty of zero days and hike my own hike and hike with someone who know sign language.

attroll
07-15-2005, 00:37
Flash Hand

I hate to see you leave the trail without finishing what you started. If there is anything I can do leave me a PM here on the site. Don't quit and go home yet until you have exhausted all resources.

saimyoji
07-15-2005, 00:47
I just realized I hated isolation on the trail and at shelter.

Clearly you have made an important discovery: its important to you to be able to communicate with people: in life and in thru-hike. You need to find a way to make this work for you. My advice is to take a deep breath, regroup, sort out your issues and then make a decision. You are in no physical danger, keep a cool head, think hard, and make the decision that will give you peace of mind and spirit.

Good lluck

A-Train
07-15-2005, 00:50
Don't get discouraged just cause you hit a bump in the road. You might regret it after a couple days home. Take a few days off (or at a shelter) and think about it before you leave, or skip further north. If you made it this far, you certainly can make it all the way. I wish you luck

Heater
07-15-2005, 00:52
Don't get discouraged just cause you hit a bump in the road. You might regret it after a couple days home. Take a few days off (or at a shelter) and think about it before you leave, or skip further north. If you made it this far, you certainly can make it all the way. I wish you luck
He already changed his mind and is continuing with his hike. Good for him! :)

Flash Hand
07-15-2005, 03:10
He already changed his mind and is continuing with his hike. Good for him! :)

I changed my mind TWICE. I guess maybe you missed the twice ones. After a depression that had been eating me after DC tour (few zero days to try to refresh myself up).

I think maybe I underestimate the toughness of the thru hike. I will even go back and finish the goal of thru hike but I don't know when.

I will express a lot of reasons in my trailjournals when I am back home in Arizona. So, maybe that way you can see my point better.

My goal doesnt die, and its still here. All I need is to find STRENGTH to make it possible.

ATTROLL, I admire every word you says and I promise you, I will accomplish this someday when I find my strength. I just probably thought thru hike is an easy task, but actually its not

Flash Hand
07-15-2005, 03:56
I just realized I hated isolation on the trail and at shelter. Good lluck

Clearly you have made an important discovery: its important to you to be able to communicate with people: in life and in thru-hike. You need to find a way to make this work for you. My advice is to take a deep breath, regroup, sort out your issues and then make a decision. You are in no physical danger, keep a cool head, think hard, and make the decision that will give you peace of mind and spirit.

Yes its important for me to communicate with other people. It take a lot of patience for between hearing and deaf to communicate each other, and I have huge patience by carrying paper and pen to try to communicate. Its all about patience. I can give you one fine example about patience itself. A trail angel in Troutville/Daleville is transporting hikers around in town. He saw me, sounded the horn but didn't get my attention. He didn't know that I am deaf. I was walking along the street. So he picked up another hiker, who happened to be my friend, told him that I am a good person and that I am a deaf. So, that hiker, who told him, told me about this, and he also told me that Trail Angel gave up on me at the first. If he had the patience, he wouldn't give up. Its about patience, my friend. If you want to try to understand what it is like being deaf... wait until your throat got severely sore enough for you not being able to talk, then join a group of friend. You will learn something from there, (I hope)

justusryans
07-15-2005, 07:49
My neice and nephew are both deaf so my wife and I are trying to learn ASL, we will be thru-hiking next year starting in April. :welcome

Smile
07-15-2005, 12:12
Keep going! You've made it so far already!

Heater
07-15-2005, 12:51
My neice and nephew are both deaf so my wife and I are trying to learn ASL, we will be thru-hiking next year starting in April. :welcome
One of my girlfriends was deaf... but that was 30 years ago. She moved to Albequerque NM. I tried to sign the alphabet last night and could not remember some of it. I used to be a pretty good signer for my experience over that one Summertime.

D'Artagnan
07-15-2005, 15:20
Flash Hand,

I've been following your TrailJournal off and on for the past month or so. I have really enjoyed your photos, too. They are some of the best I have seen posted.

I am sorry to hear of your recent misfortune. I have been away from my computer for a few days and did not read your posting until this afternoon. I wondered why you'd stopped posting on TJ but I just figured you were 'packing versus posting. I lost my wallet once while within DRIVING distance of home and I freaked out. I can only imagine what you must have had to deal with in a world designed by and for hearing people.

I'm glad to see that after some soul searching you're continuing on your trek north. I have really been inspired by the courage you have shown in your thru-hike -- without even taking into account your special challenge. I have often wondered while I've been out on the trail this summer what it must be like for you when alone, at a shelter, or even a bar. I hope the initial negative comments to your post and the isolation you encounter on the trail don't deter you from finishing. I'm looking forward to seeing a Katahdin photo posted.:sun

As for the zeros and days in town -- what the hell? -- isn't that a part of the experience where a lot of people's memories and friendships are made? Keep doing it the way YOU want to do it and I hope God smiles on you and makes your journey a rewarding and safe one. I'm rootin' for you, man. Godspeed!

clamotte
07-18-2005, 00:04
I have been in Harpers Ferry for 2 weeks now working around town scrape paint and the like. Flash, there are a ton of great people here. Do some work and get some cash to get you by. The hostel does work for stay and if you ask around town you can find work for a few days. Best of luck man. -Nokia

restless
07-18-2005, 12:13
Flashhand,
If you are the person I'm thinking of, we met at Neels Gap a few months back. Good luck and keep hiking!
As to some of the responses on this thread, FH is deaf and has special challenges communicating with people, it's not as if he can simply walk up to someone and engage them in conversation, as most of us do. He has to carry a pen and paper with him in order to simply communicate. think about it---what if you had to write out your order at your favorite restuarant on the trail, order a beer, much less try to inquire about work in order to offset the fact that your money and wallet got ripped off! I understand that most people have not met him and would agree that whiteblaze is/was not the best forum to ask for money for continuing a hike, his communication limits his ability to express his needs and I'm sure he found the internet the easiest. As hikers, we have learned to deal with and accept the more obvious handicaps, there are others that are not quite as obvious. If any of you want to get to know a great gentleman, next time someone hands you a pen and paper in order to talk to you, take the time to talk.

Uncle Silly
07-18-2005, 21:29
FlashHand, sorry to hear about your troubles. I hope you are still on the trail and working it out. Hope to see you up the trail when I get back. Luck!! --Uncle Silly

One Leg
07-19-2005, 00:23
I really wish I'd have seen this thread way before now... Rarely have the opprotunity to visit WB anymore....

Having hiked extensively with Flash Hand last year, it saddens me that he has to abandon his quest after making it to the 'emotional halfway point'.

To those who criticize: try walking a mile in his shoes. Can't imagine being Deaf? Try watching your favorite television show with the volume turned all the way down. That's how he experiences life: as if viewing a television show with no volume.

Allan: had I seen the thread earlier, I'd have sent you a few bucks to tide you over. I'm sorry that I didn't check out WB earlier....

-Scott

Hindsfeet
07-19-2005, 05:44
Yeah Flash Im sorry to hear of your troubles...The screw came lose from my glasses once while out solo, It totally walleyed my trip. "duct tape would'nt work" my lens are way too thick and my myophia like 20/8000 so the doc says.A few month back I met Silent Nomad at Davenport Gap. He is a deaf hiker also, said he was taking some time off the trail to visit his sis and to relieve some stress like you all too well understand. My hat gos off to you one leg as my wife is also deaf and when them rude a$$ holes yell at her for not understanding its not crow they get.It tis my GOD given clubs! :datz

Deafsmart
08-03-2005, 05:39
Or their eyes are not watching?

After tremendous of stress I had since, and decided to change my hiking status from Thru-hiker to Section Hiker.. so I am going home and relieve my stress. Its hard to find any communication access except limited library internet access in all towns. You won't be able to find any TTY around in town like you have payphone everywhere.

And, Town of Luray, VA public library have limited Instant Message and it was frequently blocked as I am trying to seek for emergency help. That why it prompted me with last choice, to ask for help here on whiteblaze.net

Thanks for your help anyway, and don't send anything. Bank of America yesterday told me they are expediating a check card in two days and it should be at ATC office right now or tomorrow, which I thought it was 7 to 10 business days. I do have a personal check with me, but WHO would accept my out of state check with no photo ID? (I also lost my driver license)

Yes, It was a lesson learned the hardest way. And, party and zero days? oh well, there is thing I wanted you to know, as a deaf hiker, the communication with hearing hikers are hard. I guess 95% of the time, I stayed in shelter, watching other hikers chatting and socializing. Its hard and extreme frustrating, which is why I took more zero days to socialize in the town and cities. There is one occassion that a hotel room in Waynesboro was full of about 10 thru hikers and apparently NONE of them talked to me. It was extreme hard to hike complete isolation, walked alone in the woods and sitting quietly in the crowded shelter.

You have to be deaf to understand.... its hard and it built up the stress, and finally the stress eaten me up after I lost my wallet and nearly lost my digital camera.

God LOVE to socialize, and thats why the humans are created. So, I believe socializing is the primary reason we are here on the face of the Earth. Socializing is one that I missed the most during thru-hiking attempt. Last year, I hiked with One Leg and our communication is great. None for this year.

Huh, what's heck is matter with you?!?! I'm kinda disappoint in those posters in negative and insensitive remark. Most particularly, never mind helping out others in time of need, but attitude toward People with Disabilities. IMHO, I do not think this receptive, centrally on negation weight of this thread carry, Thru Hiker in Emergency Help needed! message board were ever justify nor response in kind.

It is lonely to be in Hearing world; it is not lonely to be Deaf world. For you, you do the figuration and to see what it feel like to be in the world of silence; or darkness; or forsaken; or withdrawn. I've seen lot, being child of Deaf Mother and Father, attend local public school and state residence school (where late Ray Charles went to), and employment fields are never easy to break into (never mind several industries which histrionically hiring Deaf people like noisy printing press my late Dad used to worked but laid off couple times).

Times improved upon passage of American with Disabilities Act of 1990. I had wrote to ATC twice, to three ATC staffers, regard of membership due and exclusion the opportunity for people with Disability to enjoy the same due as Senior and Youth do get. It was Regular $30. However, after the name of Conference changed to Conservancy I saw the due rolled back (I might be wrong on amount of the due) to $25. I prompted renewed my membership, in mind I will continue protesting on ignorance.

Know what? It is you who create silent treatment on Flash Hand, and by this his frustration and thirst for trail friendship, he seek out off the trail and attempting to fraternize YOU among you. Ignorance continue and God knows what going on there, from shelter to shelter and town to town, Flash Hand stood and move onward and onward. By stroke of unluckiness, he lost his own objects and then this is evident of this message thread.

Now, my thread that I posted yesterday, Going to one of Trail Days matter? (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?threadid=9722), those posters were gracious for signal me the existence of Deaf Hiker, Flash Hand. I don't personally know Flash Hand or what kind of schooling does he goes to. What I could tell you for myself. Few of my wallets, stereo, and several personal procession was stolen in course of my 6 years span; when I was in 3th to 6th grades I was drilled and lined up all the way to cafeteria and march for ten thousand feet (mind you, Florida School for the Deaf and the Blind founded in 1885 and grew into big campus). My Mom as no other Deaf kids' parents do, protested to school administrators to put stop on century-long army drill. SGT Rock, time were tough for 12 years old boys and this is reason why my Dad dropped out at age 15 because of hazing and roughing.

Communication accessible is nutty along trailway as well part of the world at most. Yeah, it is true but what appalling to me, Flash Hand was refused a ride back to trail that day after attempting his instant messaging at local library. This is why I am going to activate palmOne Treo 650 for trail communication and organization and stuffs like eBook reading and composing. I can hear with hearing aids, but I will be boring without converse sign language with Flash Hand and/or other signers.

Work, oh what a novelty idea but alas, what honest pay to this thru-hiker? Discrimation, range from being rip off with pay, bad faith clause, mistrust, overtime, dominance, trusting situation, communication, and sheltering are the factor like Love Is Never Silent (1985 ) (TV) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089510/combined) and Children of a Lesser God (http://www.ibdb.com/production.asp?ID=3694) (that won 4 Tony Award on Broadway) and later adapted for movie (1986) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090830/combined). Employent enforcement doen't ring true in backcountry, at least for now. Would it be an advantage to miss out winter closure of Baker State Park after a long hike through Hundred Miles Wilderness in Maine? Think about it, it is better to regain employment milesoff the trail for better pay.

I got to get ahold of Flash Hand and inquire on whether he will finish his quest atop Mt. Katahdin (http://www.mtkatahdin.com/). No matter how it turn out, I will be going for C/O 2006 thru-hiking. See ya.

Lastly, I count more than 10 post on 7-13 after Flash Hand first started his own thread. Were you all quick to say and launch your own skepticism and not many threads carried its language of kindness and compassion. :rolleyes: :mad: I am out of....well, speechless at you adult. You know, Ignorance is WRONG. Is Appalachian National Scenic Trail open to African-American and other races and languages? Think about it and surely this will be topic in next biennial conference of the Appalachian Trail Conservancy.

TOW
08-03-2005, 06:27
Or their eyes are not watching?

Huh, what's heck is matter with you?!?! I'm kinda disappoint in those posters in negative and insensitive remark. Most particularly, never mind helping out others in time of need, but attitude toward People with Disabilities. IMHO, I do not think this receptive, centrally on negation weight of this thread carry, Thru Hiker in Emergency Help needed! message board were ever justify nor response in kind.

It is lonely to be in Hearing world; it is not lonely to be Deaf world. For you, you do the figuration and to see what it feel like to be in the world of silence; or darkness; or forsaken; or withdrawn. I've seen lot, being child of Deaf Mother and Father, attend local public school and state residence school (where late Ray Charles went to), and employment fields are never easy to break into (never mind several industries which histrionically hiring Deaf people like noisy printing press my late Dad used to worked but laid off couple times).

Times improved upon passage of American with Disabilities Act of 1990. I had wrote to ATC twice, to three ATC staffers, regard of membership due and exclusion the opportunity for people with Disability to enjoy the same due as Senior and Youth do get. It was Regular $30. However, after the name of Conference changed to Conservancy I saw the due rolled back (I might be wrong on amount of the due) to $25. I prompted renewed my membership, in mind I will continue protesting on ignorance.

Know what? It is you who create silent treatment on Flash Hand, and by this his frustration and thirst for trail friendship, he seek out off the trail and attempting to fraternize YOU among you. Ignorance continue and God knows what going on there, from shelter to shelter and town to town, Flash Hand stood and move onward and onward. By stroke of unluckiness, he lost his own objects and then this is evident of this message thread.

Now, my thread that I posted yesterday, Going to one of Trail Days matter? (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?threadid=9722), those posters were gracious for signal me the existence of Deaf Hiker, Flash Hand. I don't personally know Flash Hand or what kind of schooling does he goes to. What I could tell you for myself. Few of my wallets, stereo, and several personal procession was stolen in course of my 6 years span; when I was in 3th to 6th grades I was drilled and lined up all the way to cafeteria and march for ten thousand feet (mind you, Florida School for the Deaf and the Blind founded in 1885 and grew into big campus). My Mom as no other Deaf kids' parents do, protested to school administrators to put stop on century-long army drill. SGT Rock, time were tough for 12 years old boys and this is reason why my Dad dropped out at age 15 because of hazing and roughing.

Communication accessible is nutty along trailway as well part of the world at most. Yeah, it is true but what appalling to me, Flash Hand was refused a ride back to trail that day after attempting his instant messaging at local library. This is why I am going to activate palmOne Treo 650 for trail communication and organization and stuffs like eBook reading and composing. I can hear with hearing aids, but I will be boring without converse sign language with Flash Hand and/or other signers.

Work, oh what a novelty idea but alas, what honest pay to this thru-hiker? Discrimation, range from being rip off with pay, bad faith clause, mistrust, overtime, dominance, trusting situation, communication, and sheltering are the factor like Love Is Never Silent (1985 ) (TV) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089510/combined)and Children of a Lesser God (http://www.ibdb.com/production.asp?ID=3694) (that won 4 Tony Award on Broadway) and later adapted for movie (1986) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090830/combined). Employent enforcement doen't ring true in backcountry, at least for now. Would it be an advantage to miss out winter closure of Baker State Park after a long hike through Hundred Miles Wilderness in Maine? Think about it, it is better to regain employment milesoff the trail for better pay.

I got to get ahold of Flash Hand and inquire on whether he will finish his quest atop Mt. Katahdin (http://www.mtkatahdin.com/). No matter how it turn out, I will be going for C/O 2006 thru-hiking. See ya.

Lastly, I count more than 10 post on 7-13 after Flash Hand first started his own thread. Were you all quick to say and launch your own skepticism and not many threads carried its language of kindness and compassion. :rolleyes: :mad: I am out of....well, speechless at you adult. You know, Ignorance is WRONG. Is Appalachian National Scenic Trail open to African-American and other races and languages? Think about it and surely this will be topic in next biennial conference of the Appalachian Trail Conservancy.good point! even though it is the trail, the world still lives there as well.....along with that are the skeptics.....but you have to understand something, there have been so many hikers preyed and played upon, so when the real hiker in need comes along, some will stand back and scrutinize first, then check it out....ususally in the long run, they will admit that they were wrong either verbally or in action.....but the point is this, even though we are a group of hiking enthusiasts of the appalachian trail, we are still people with our own set of character defects and assets....some are as skeptical as a rich widow and some will give you the shirt off their backs just to see you continue on your journey and sadly there are some who don't communicate at all so that we don't know what is going on in their head....that reminds me, i got a friend that if your lucky you may get two words out of him for an entire evening, but he communicates with body language and it is so cool to watch his facial expressions and the way he hunches his shoulders and so on.....we had dinner last night together and he had given his wife an oval shaped diamond ring for their 30th wedding anniversary and she was entertaining us with her non-stop cattering over the thing and you could tell he was so happy for making her happy.....but isn't it sad there are those in the world who can hear and talk, but doesn't have the foggiest idea of how to communicate in any form???

BonzNRio
08-03-2005, 10:49
I'm in Harpers Ferry.If I can find this guy I've got 3 friends that hire hikers,pay daily,two will let him camp & those same 2 will feed him dinner.The ATC & the Hostel both have huge hiker boxes.Anyone else see all those question marks floating around that post??

Smile
08-03-2005, 13:01
Great post DeafSmart - sounds like your heart is in the right place!

dream
08-03-2005, 18:33
Deaf smart, dude I read it twice and I still have no idea what you just said.

jaywalke
08-09-2005, 15:51
Deaf smart, dude I read it twice and I still have no idea what you just said. ASL is a very different language than English. Syntax, context, word order, word endings, tenses, etc. are either totally different from spoken/written English or do not exist at all. The English writing of a lot of deaf people looks like this, because basically it is almost a foreign language to them. That said, I can understand it easily, and it looks a hell of a lot better than my signing! I can speak Spanish and German, but writing it is a whole different animal. I'll mess up some grammar and make the natives giggle. I can, however, still get my point across. Don't get bogged down by the details, just take your time with it . . .

[BTW, Flash Hand is the real deal, and he is a pretty cool guy to boot. I met him when I was section hiking at Mt. Roger's, and I have already kicked him (via email) for not notifying me when he needed help. I don't get here much.]

Jaywalke

Deafsmart
08-11-2005, 17:09
Deaf smart, dude I read it twice and I still have no idea what you just said.My thread is about what it like to be in the world of silence. Although we Deaf don't embrace silence in our daily life and the word disability, we perform and think best of ourself in ability endeavor strategically and tactically. In some way, being disability do have its own advantage and when situation prove irritating and troublesome, we enjoy watching over your frustration and hoping you will learn something out of that experience. There is project out there when you got to wear blindfold and/or earmuff and/or in wheelchair. You will be tag along with the group across busy traffic intersection and railroad crossing or in artillery field. Boy, would it be scary to be in unknown boundary?

My outdoor alumni organization ('80 and '82), Camp Endeavor (http://sertomacampendeavor.org/), has a reference on societal interaction.
Helen Keller stated it best when she said, “Blindness separates people from things. Deafness separates people from people.” Children who are deaf or hard of hearing are more often than not segregated from the mainstream of life. They often attend segregated schools designed for the hearing impaired and their impairment causes them to be shut out from full participation in their neighborhoods, communities and peer interactions. This makes necessary some alternative means so these children might develop the necessary skills, emotional security, and feeling of self-worth that interacting with peers usually provides as an avenue for development.If you sum of all posts made here, can you scale what tone in this thread was? Was every entries count as in gentle or bull$#it tone? No. Should I allow slurry remark and hardship on a child like your very own? How this would make you feel when you see children rough (I mean really roughing-up) on a child, which is left defensive? What would you respond to that injustice?

Dream, my post is about experience of being struggle, and what people with disability face everyday, transference of good or bad exposures regard how individual do cope, then s/he apply expertise on the trail and outdoor. What happen bad thing happen to us? What exact is Appalachian Trail Human Interface Guidelines? Snake bite-what would you do? What if venom gets to the victim and s/he cannot communicate you or fell unconscious? Modern society taught us to expect thing for grant; what will be lost such as wallet and survival can be easily replace. For you, easy but extra time for us. Flash Hand told us that local library blocked out ability to use instant messengers, which is true in my case because almost all Relay Services employ 3 different modes, TTY/IM/videophone to voice callers, in real-time conversation. By law, banks and financial institution cannot use regular email mode and tell us what is the best way to notify lost of wallet securely? That is one of the barrier that ATC need to address.

For us, whether amputated or blindness or deafness and other nature of disability, hardship adhere replacement what was lost in effort and in time. I can name people with disability who are already on AT in the past; those name recognition should fall responsibility with AT Museum (http://www.atmuseum.org/). It is never easy, yet they made it, whether small or great. For me, soon I will join a short rooster of people with disability who made Appalachian Trail achievement.

Trail Safe: averting Threating Human Behavior in the Outdoors, by Michael Bane, Wilderness Press 2000, is the book I just checked out from my local library. It is general agreement that you are on your own once you are outside of your hometown territory. Losing wallet is ouch, right? Asking for financial help is other. But again, I saw here goes in "Grape of Wrath" Okie accent, "Too bad, ya on yer own." It was like a sport venue one-and-one fight turned out a big kicking and punching and spitting and all. Guys! Come on, behave.

Centrally to real reason of my posting, what I do noticed in Whiteblaze.net and other sites such as Trailplace.com, we posters tend to talk and talk and talk and talk. I forgot the term. Stop and pause if you don't know a thing or two; say something if you know or ought to say something. Top Poster in Whiteblaze.net is SGT Rock, 3836 posts. There is no way to match that to what he had create. I am sort proud of him but be our self and at ease. Like quote we sometime hear in our hiking community, books and trail journals, "what is the rush do we get to Mt. Katadhin?" Once again, if you need, not want, to say something, say it out then.

BTW, Camp Endeavor 1982 World's Fair [Bus] Tour is how I discovered Appalachian Trail.

Deafsmart
08-11-2005, 18:20
[BTW, Flash Hand is the real deal, and he is a pretty cool guy to boot. I met him when I was section hiking at Mt. Roger's, and I have already kicked him (via email) for not notifying me when he needed help. I don't get here much.] Jaywalke

Flash Hand, I think, is settled somewhere off AT when I spoke with him via AIM/iChat. He is thinking on going back for 3rd attempt on this February 1st. Told him I rather not to rush my impending April 2006 Thru-hike and I would make myself to Mt. Katadhin in time. I better not say too much on what we spoke about.

At any rate, about sign language and the original concept of my message which Dream didn't get it. I spoke of soulness and the barrier to be in unknown boundary (I just posted it). For me, I was born hearing like most of you and it was until age 3, I got ear infection and high fever, I succumbed into full world of deafness. Like my hearing baby brother, the first language of every Child of Deaf Parents (CODA) is sign language. It is a native language that research had it beneficial learning structure. Out of discipline tend confronting between parental authority and the child who processed no sign language skills than do with child who processed first sign language skills. My learn rate, acquired vocabulary, intermingle with hearing relative and regular pre-school, my education were never interupt. Other kids, yes, because like Helen Keller learn late and most parents doesn't know what must they do with their child (and themselves), sadly as it seem, parents opted to institute their child in education setting at age 6.

Individual with Disability Education Act change all of that. Lucky enough, I was one of first student in local mainstream elemtary school; I always get "A" and "B" on spelling exam nearly every week. Until my family elected to enroll me and my younger Deaf brother to Florida School for the Deaf, something did change. I was shocked how lax the school adminstrators and teachers did not bother to push grammar mastery, and my spelling skills plummet overnight. Although I ranked highest with English, Reading, and Social Science, most Deaf students had the advantage on mathematic and all aspect subjects associated with numbers.

Not uniformically, everybody in human race, which is Homo sapiens, is not create equal yet we all bear same characteristic and virutes. jaywalke, your comment on American Sign Language (http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=ase) users is true. However, ASL rooted mostly from French Sign Language and rest are combination of modern improvement after FSL was imported to North America, several from Native American Indian Sign Language.

As for me, I experience best of both world. This is why I am Deaf Novelist, and my Gratify Lasting Paradise manuscript is in progress for submission before I get on AT next Spring. Only hindrance for me is too much more to say. :D

dream
08-13-2005, 22:38
ASL is a very different language than English. Syntax, context, word order, word endings, tenses, etc. are either totally different from spoken/written English or do not exist at all. The English writing of a lot of deaf people looks like this, because basically it is almost a foreign language to them. Jaywalke Ok, that makes sense. It looked like I was reading a website through a translator program.

Frosty
08-14-2005, 08:36
Lastly, I count more than 10 post on 7-13 after Flash Hand first started his own thread. Were you all quick to say and launch your own skepticism .I didn't post but was skeptical. I checked Trailhjournals and saw he had been taking about one town day for every two hiking days, and had jus spent a week in Wash DC. He didn't ask for food but for money. Hiking the trail will always engender emergencies. Plans need to be made. Was there no one at home from whom to get help. Did he have zero reserves, no maney in any bank account, no family members? If he did not have family members, then it would have been even more important to have a way to get money. I asked myself how I would respond to such a situation and it might be a number of things, but posting an internet call to send money would not be one. Admittedly, I have more options than he.

What if he were not deaf? There were a couple of times thruhikers had their packs stolen. Did you send them money? If a (hearing) thruhiker came on now and said, "I have no money, please send me some," would you send it?

I am not uncompassionate. I try to understand the difficulties for those who do not have the opportunities that I do. But the issue is he didn't have money, not that he is deaf. It would be a remarkable achievement if he could finish the trail, and I would help him if I met him. But I don't respond well to internet calls to "send me money" and neither, I suspect, do most people.

I cannot afford to take a town day for every two trail days, and so I did not spend money to help someone else do that. It does sound cold, what you insultingly call okie behavior, but the fact is that we all make choices and sometimes have to live with those choices. Spending money as fast as it comes in and not keeping a reserve with someone is a choice. When it doesn't work out, there are sometimes tough consequences.

I am glad that you are compassionate, but chastising others and insulting those who express legitimate skepticism is not a helpful response.

I am sorry that you are deaf, but your self-righteousness is a turn-off.

Freighttrain
08-14-2005, 08:52
well said frosty

Skyline
08-14-2005, 10:41
Apparently I had a brief encounter with Flash Hand, here in Luray about a month ago. There was a man who looked a lot like the guy in the photo on this site, wearing an AT t-shirt and my sixth sense said he was a thru-hiker. He was walking briskly without pack on Main Street. I figured he was likely staying in a motel, was probably headed toward Wal-Mart over a mile away, and pulled up to offer a ride.

He did come over to my truck, but couldn't talk well. He made an attempt to communicate to me that he was deaf, which I comprehended. He then just kept walking. It's possible that by pulling up like that, uninvited, that I frightened him. I watched as he stopped in front of various store fronts to check the addresses. Eventually, I think he found what he was possibly looking for--the local Work Force Job Center. This is a non-profit organization that helps the unemployed find work and work skills.

The whole scenario confused me a bit, but this thread makes it a lot more clear. I now wish I had been a bit more assertive and had taken the time to try to communicate with Flash Hand. I'm sure I could have helped--either directly (food, shuttle, maybe even some money) or by offering him some temporary work if that had been his wish. My home, property, and business are in constant need of manual labor.

While Luray isn't the "trail town" that Waynesboro and Front Royal are, we do get several hundred hikers per year here (NOBO, SOBO, section), and I hope Flash Hand found someone familiar with the AT willing to help. At the least, I'm curious where he stayed while in Luray--which seemed to be at least a couple days judging by the time stamps on his posts here.

Anyway, best wishes on your next thru-hike attempt, Flash Hand.

Skyline
08-14-2005, 20:31
I changed my mind AGAIN, im going home because, after getting out of Luray Library, walking to a chamber of commerce, asking same guy for shuttle back to the trail, he refused and said in the morning only and remanants of Dennis is hovering, and don't have place to stay and DON'T feel like hitchhiking in State of Virginia where cops usually stop and give warnings.. so, I thought, I will be happier at home. Sorry for the confusion. I just realized I hated isolation on the trail and at shelter. I never go anywhere walletless and don't feel good about it.

I can go back to AT again but not soon. Maybe after my across USA trips.

Lesson Learned: Leave EARLY, plenty of zero days and hike my own hike and hike with someone who know sign language.

Flash Hand,

I assume the man at the chamber of commerce you've mentioned is Bobby Jenkins. He usually is helpful to hikers, but he has two paying jobs that come first.

This is hindsight, but you should know that about mid-July Bobby started having some severe health problems kick him in the ass. He has since dealt with kidney stones and has had a 5-way heart bypass. Both pretty serious for a guy in his 70s. I suspect part of the reason he might not have been able to help you had to do with his declining health.

Again, I wish I'd been able to help. Maybe next time...

primenumbers
08-14-2005, 22:14
hey flash hands,

you may not remember me, but we met at the hiker hostel in Dahlonega. I can't help with cash, but I may be able to supply you with some hiker food and porch to sleep on while you're in harper's ferry. stop by and say hello at the outfitter. i'm there on wed., thur., sat. and sun. good luck.

prime numbers.:welcome

Flash Hand
08-22-2005, 22:35
I didn't post but was skeptical. I checked Trailhjournals and saw he had been taking about one town day for every two hiking days, and had jus spent a week in Wash DC. He didn't ask for food but for money. Hiking the trail will always engender emergencies. Plans need to be made. Was there no one at home from whom to get help. Did he have zero reserves, no maney in any bank account, no family members? If he did not have family members, then it would have been even more important to have a way to get money. I asked myself how I would respond to such a situation and it might be a number of things, but posting an internet call to send money would not be one. Admittedly, I have more options than he.

What if he were not deaf? There were a couple of times thruhikers had their packs stolen. Did you send them money? If a (hearing) thruhiker came on now and said, "I have no money, please send me some," would you send it?

I am not uncompassionate. I try to understand the difficulties for those who do not have the opportunities that I do. But the issue is he didn't have money, not that he is deaf. It would be a remarkable achievement if he could finish the trail, and I would help him if I met him. But I don't respond well to internet calls to "send me money" and neither, I suspect, do most people.

I cannot afford to take a town day for every two trail days, and so I did not spend money to help someone else do that. It does sound cold, what you insultingly call okie behavior, but the fact is that we all make choices and sometimes have to live with those choices. Spending money as fast as it comes in and not keeping a reserve with someone is a choice. When it doesn't work out, there are sometimes tough consequences.

I am glad that you are compassionate, but chastising others and insulting those who express legitimate skepticism is not a helpful response.

I am sorry that you are deaf, but your self-righteousness is a turn-off.

FROSTY... I think you missed my point. I DO HAVE MONEY but LACK access to the bank. Without ATM card, no ID, Nothing on me. How can you stay another night at motel without it? And, how many payphone with TTY attached available in the Town of Luray? NONE! I have hard time finding a way to reach contact with my friends and family but the only LIMITED ACCESS I have is the Library's limited internet uses. Librarian let me to use computer all day but the Instant Message never function after 2 minutes in use. That meant I have to click X and then sign on every 3rd minute to keep in touch with friends and family and its getting really frustrating.

Flash Hand
08-22-2005, 22:39
Frosty

Again, I forget to add... DO NOT EVER WORRY about my zero days. I need zero days to communicate with my friend in sign language... I was extreme lonely on the trail where 99% of hearing hikers don't know sign language and I think that you really don't know what it is like to be deaf. I need more time off the trail to socialize. So, next time, PLEASE DON'T ASSUME or jumping to the conclusion.

Flash Hand

Flash Hand
08-22-2005, 22:44
Frosty AGAIN,

I guess you didn't know that my PARENTS ARE DEAF also. THEY are old fashioned and they don't have TTY at their homes because they rely on hearing siblings to use phone communication. AND, yes I am trying to get a hold of my mother on the internet but it turned out that my mother's computer got a virus and is not functioning until a few days ago. My mother was very disappointed that I didn't finish my hike again. AND, don't you dare to assume that I never contacted my family and friends, and I DID IT a few times.

You know how dogs feel when they got fleas? SO, what I feel like right now is that I am a dog and you are the flea. You just started to make me feel itched.

Flash Hand
08-22-2005, 22:55
Apparently I had a brief encounter with Flash Hand, here in Luray about a month ago. There was a man who looked a lot like the guy in the photo on this site, wearing an AT t-shirt and my sixth sense said he was a thru-hiker. He was walking briskly without pack on Main Street. I figured he was likely staying in a motel, was probably headed toward Wal-Mart over a mile away, and pulled up to offer a ride.

He did come over to my truck, but couldn't talk well. He made an attempt to communicate to me that he was deaf, which I comprehended. He then just kept walking. It's possible that by pulling up like that, uninvited, that I frightened him. I watched as he stopped in front of various store fronts to check the addresses. Eventually, I think he found what he was possibly looking for--the local Work Force Job Center. This is a non-profit organization that helps the unemployed find work and work skills.

The whole scenario confused me a bit, but this thread makes it a lot more clear. I now wish I had been a bit more assertive and had taken the time to try to communicate with Flash Hand. I'm sure I could have helped--either directly (food, shuttle, maybe even some money) or by offering him some temporary work if that had been his wish. My home, property, and business are in constant need of manual labor.

While Luray isn't the "trail town" that Waynesboro and Front Royal are, we do get several hundred hikers per year here (NOBO, SOBO, section), and I hope Flash Hand found someone familiar with the AT willing to help. At the least, I'm curious where he stayed while in Luray--which seemed to be at least a couple days judging by the time stamps on his posts here.

Anyway, best wishes on your next thru-hike attempt, Flash Hand.

Skyline,

I do remember you. I can explain why I didn't bother to stay and asking for help. That time I didn't bring paper and pen with me. I THOUGHT/ASSUMED you were one of tourist or curiousity people asking questions about Appalachian Trail. Its because there is no way of communication between us, and I wasn't be able to understand lip reading at all. That time, I was on my way to motel. When you left, and I saw your decal on the back of your SUV, I was like oh no, and realized that you are part of AT community and are providing help to hikers. I wish that I am being assertive in asking you for paper and pen.

The reasons I didn't put any effort to communicate between us ares 1) no paper and pen 2) most of the time, hearing people think that I can understand them more clearly if they try to talk. Actually, I am very poor lip reader and usually didn't being assertive enough to communicate ONLY if I didn't bring paper and pen. Paper and pen is the ONLY and SOLE way of access to communication between me as a deaf person and hearing people. The alternative to that is the hearing people know sign language.

I don't know when I would try my 3rd attempt. If I do, I will certainly contact you if I am in Luray again.

Flash Hand
08-22-2005, 23:17
ASL is a very different language than English. Syntax, context, word order, word endings, tenses, etc. are either totally different from spoken/written English or do not exist at all. The English writing of a lot of deaf people looks like this, because basically it is almost a foreign language to them. That said, I can understand it easily, and it looks a hell of a lot better than my signing! I can speak Spanish and German, but writing it is a whole different animal. I'll mess up some grammar and make the natives giggle. I can, however, still get my point across. Don't get bogged down by the details, just take your time with it . . .

[BTW, Flash Hand is the real deal, and he is a pretty cool guy to boot. I met him when I was section hiking at Mt. Roger's, and I have already kicked him (via email) for not notifying me when he needed help. I don't get here much.]

Jaywalke

Hey Jay Walke,

It is no excuse for me to forget about you. Yeah, I never thought about you. If I wasn't really panicked and maybe I would think clearly enought to ask you for help.

I want to thank you so much for fingerspelling me that there was an Owl sitting in the tree. A thru-hiker Crazy Horse might have forget to tell me about owl in the tree after telling about it to all of you. You didn't forget the presence of deaf hiker. You earned my biggest respect for that. If not for you, I, definitely will, wondering why 3 or 4 hikers run to the woods at same time and probably will miss out the opportunity to see Owl in the woods. Crazy Horse knows that I am deaf because we communicated in paper and pen on the 2nd floor of Thomas Knob Shelter. He is the first to write down and introduced himself to me. Hearing people sometimes do forget that there were presences of deaf person in the same area. For example, I worked for Home Depot as a Night Crew, and everyone in the breakroom quickly stood up and left without letting me know that there was a fire drill. With quick thinking and figuring out what is wrong with the picture, I finally left the breakroom about 5 minutes later. If there was a real fire and I might ended up die alone in the breakroom. The crew of about 8 employees apologized that they forget about a deaf worker in the SAME room. YOu didn't forget about me and I was very impressed. Jay Walke, you are my friend, :)

I will certainly contact you if I decide to try 3rd attempt to thru-hike.

JP
08-23-2005, 09:50
Flash Hand.. Have you thought about making cards with common phrases or things you need to say most. It would save a lot of writing. Maybe some cards with short answers.
Hope you finish your hike!

Frosty
08-23-2005, 17:22
FROSTY... I think you missed my point. I DO HAVE MONEY but LACK access to the bank. Without ATM card, no ID, Nothing on me. How can you stay another night at motel without it? You can't stay in a motel without money. You are correct. You would have to stay in a tent in the woods.

Frosty
Again, I forget to add... DO NOT EVER WORRY about my zero days.I am not worried about your zero days. You can take as many as you want. Deafsmart was giving the entire list grief for not sending you money, and I responded (to him, not you) that I cannot afford to take a day in a motel for every two days I hike, and was not willing to send money to any one, deaf or hearing, to help them do something I cannot afford. Take all the zero days you want anywhere you want. But I'm not going to pay for them.

I guess you didn't know that my PARENTS ARE DEAF also. THEY are old fashioned and they don't have TTY at their homes because they rely on hearing siblings to use phone communication. AND, don't you dare to assume that I never contacted my family and friends, and I DID IT a few times.I didn't know they are deaf, and I am sorry to hear it, but it doesn't change anything. My comment was that it would have been wise to set up a way to get money for emergencies in case one came up. That is important for everyone, but vital I would think for someone with communication problems. I'm glad you contacted your family and your friends a few times, but if you did and they were aware that you didn't have money, why ask WHITEBLAZE? That's why I assumed you hadn't contacted them. Because if you had, your family and friends could have sent money in a lelter by overnight US Mail.

You know how dogs feel when they got fleas? SO, what I feel like right now is that I am a dog and you are the flea. You just started to make me feel itched.
Flash Hand :jumpWell, there's no need to get angry about it. You asked for money. When you ask, there are two answers, YES and NO. Some of us said "no." When Deafsmart gave us grief about it, some of us told him/her why we said "no." At this point, I think I made the right decision.

I'm sorry your trip ended again. It must be a major disappoinment. Hopefully you'll be better prepared next year if you try again.