PDA

View Full Version : Neels to Deep Gap NC

Jeremy Peyton
05-22-2013, 10:53
We are starting on the 26th and are planning to spend hike 55 miles from Neels Gap to Deep Gap NC to finish out GA. We think this should take us about 5 days. Is there anything in this area we should be paying attention too? Something like increased Bear sightings, or Alien Abductions etc etc... Thanks and we are looking forawrd to finishing Gerogia.

BullFrog and Turtle
Fleming Island,FL

max patch
05-22-2013, 13:06
Most of the bear issues this year have been between Neels and Tesnatee.

max patch
05-22-2013, 13:30
I would have no problem with leaving my car at Deep Gap.

However, I think it would be a bit safer paying a small fee and leaving it inside the Standing Indian Campground. You can also take a shower there.

You get to SIC from Deep Gap by taking the blue blaze Kimsey Creek Trail 3.5 miles. As a bonus its a nice hike.

Spirit Bear
05-22-2013, 16:35
I just finished Neel gap to Standing Indian. Great hike, enjoy it.

V Eight
05-22-2013, 19:54
Most of the bear issues this year have been between Neels and Tesnatee.

You hear anything lately about Jarrard Gap & Neels? Going through in a couple days.

max patch
05-22-2013, 20:26
You hear anything lately about Jarrard Gap & Neels? Going through in a couple days.

I haven't heard of any. Keep in mind that most thrus don't camp in that area because of the bear vault requirement. I'm sure there have been more tickets written for non compliance than bear issues.

max patch
05-22-2013, 20:26

I haven't heard of any. Keep in mind that most thrus don't camp in that area because of the bear vault requirement. I'm sure there have been more tickets written for non compliance than bear issues.

Razor
05-22-2013, 21:27
There have been no bear issues because of the canister rules keep food temptation from the bears ,mainly because no one is using the area. Also keep in mind the regulation ends for this season on June 1. Hopefully the bears have established natural eating patterns away from the campsites!

V Eight
05-23-2013, 19:35

Thanks, I will probably stop around Lance Creek or so and get past Hogpen gap, if I don't spend to much time eating Pizza and Ice Cream at Neels. :D

I would expect ticket count to be high at Jarrard Gap. It could not be easier for the rangers. Just drive up and start taking names.:eek:

Gray Blazer
05-24-2013, 08:01
Finding Big Foot (one of the dumbest shows if you ask me) says there are BF's near the source of the Chattahoochee.