PDA

View Full Version : Linville Gorge Trail

bbowen
05-22-2013, 15:54
I'm planning an overnight hiking trip to Linville Gorge this weekend. I was wondering what the camping situation is in the Gorge. Are permits necessary (if so, how do i go about getting one)? Are primitive camping sites available and are they numerous or hard to come by? Any other information I should be aware of would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

BBOWEN

Edro
05-22-2013, 16:08
Hope this helps.. The Gorge is awesome.

THE PERMIT SYSTEM -
Permits are required for camping only on weekends and holidays during the period May 1 through October 31. Permits will not be required during the period November 1 through April 30. Permits will not be required for visitors who do not stay overnight. Free permits may be obtained at the District Ranger's Office in Marion, North Carolina, Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Walk-in permits, for the current week only, are available at the Linville Gorge Information Cabin, located on Kistler Memorial Highway. The cabin is open April-October, seven days a week, 9:00 a.m. through 5:00 pm. Reservations are taken on a first come, first serve basis, beginning the first working day of each previous month. For example, reservations for wilderness camping permits for the month of July will be accepted beginning the first working day of June, etc. And don't forget to get your pepermint treat!
For permits contact:
District Ranger-U.S. Forest Service
Route 1, Box 110-A
Nebo, NC 28761
(828) 652-2144 Practice No-trace Camping
Your challenge is to leave no evidence of your visit so the next person can enjoy a natural scene. Tread lightly so nature can endure and replenish.

bbowen
05-22-2013, 20:44
Thank you for the information! It was of great help.