PDA

View Full Version : Hiker---Character/Character Defects

tawa
05-22-2013, 16:37
As we all know "The trail is what the trail is" it is the great equalizer. As well the "weather is what the weather is". It is always about the hikers makeup to deal with both the trail and the weather and other circumstances beyond their control.
I thought it might be interesting to hear from fellow hikers as to the character traits that are needed and as well the character defects that we need to work on if we are to have a successful hike and be at peace with others .
Here are some of the possible character/character flaw issues from which to comment or give positive or negative experiences: acceptance, alibis, anger,anxiety,arrogance, controversy,courage,depression,dishonesty/honesty,envy,excuses,faith,fear,forgiveness,friend ship,frustration,gratitude
guilt,humility,
inferiority,perfectionism,pride,resentment,respons ibility,tolerance,trust,unity,will,and worry.
In my humble opinion its all about attitude and character. We have all seen the --good, bad and ugly from hikers out on the AT. So let it fly --and tell us what u want to be and what u want to be able to expect from fellow hikers!

johnnybgood
05-22-2013, 17:38
Positives include : a strong moral nature ,positive mental attitude , adaptation to unpleasantness, humbleness,kindness , honesty

Negatives include : arrogance, low morality, untrustworthy , bad attitude, moocher , and just plain stoopid. :)

Sorry....that was mean , which can also be added as a negative attribute.

BostonBlue
05-22-2013, 17:38
It seems that those who expect nothing from the world seem to have an easier time with it. I have seen great guys from a personal perspective that have not finished their thru. In fact, some of the most arrogant and SOB types have finished while "nicer" guys have not. I personally believe that it requires a certain selfishness for many hikers - at least those with family or kids. But I think the biggest indicator of finishing is that the hiker had the ability to get along with at least one or more other hikers. They may not have hiked together all the time, but they at least provided companionship and support when it seems they needed it.

rocketsocks
05-22-2013, 17:53
Acceptance~every body deserves a shot at, humans crave this.

alibis~don't care...unless your wanted by the law.

Anger~I have no time for this...moving on!

anxiety~take a Xanax, sit down an chill, it will pass.

Arrogance~again, no time for this unless your being a total dick, then I may actually engage you just to play you like a fiddle, till I get bored...then your dead to me.

Controversy~I'm trying hard not to engage, but sometimes it's fun, this I'll work on.

Courage~one of the highest coveted traits, we all have it within us.

Depression~everybody goes through this from time to time, just don't think the trail will cure all that ails ya, it can help, but it's not the solution.

Dishonesty~if you are a dishonest hiker, it wont be long till your figured out...you don't want or need this for yourself...honestly!

Honesty~be honest with yourself, the rest will fall into place...honestly!

Envy~sure, why not, as long as it's healthy and productive...but be careful, don't let it consume you.

Excuses~why bother, again be honest with yourself. People are smarter than you think, an excuses are like elbows, everybody's got one. Just Fess up!

Faith~your faith is none of my damn business.

Fear~use it to your advantage...it's just a feeling, nothing more, I'm hungey, tired, happy...that is all.

Forgiveness~this can really set you free, try it, it really works!

Friend ship~I'll never have enough friends...Make new friends, keep the old, one is silver, the other gold~told to me by and old friend

Frustration~we all get it from time to time.

Gratitude~be grateful each and every day, it could be your last.

Guilt~this will consume you...if you let it...so don't let it.

Humility~again one of the highly coveted traits, I hope I never loose mine.

Inferiority~just a feeling, nobody is better then you, remember this, cause it's true, were're all on this rock doin the best we can.

Perfectionism~I love watching a perfectionist in action, funny stuff, and you can learn some things too.

Pride~ It's good to be proud, but don't get out of hand, lest you fall into the Arrogance crowd, there's a fine line.

Resentment~but for what...this is a killer.

Responsibility~Do what you say you will do.

Tolerance~we could all use a little more of this...I'm working on this one too.

Trust~probably the one that is most important to hikers away from family and friends. If you find someone you can trust...your golden!

Unity~Them's that hikes, plays, and works together to achieve a common goal...stays together. No finer example we can be given than this past weekends tragedy in Damascus when many were in need.

Will~will I make it to the end of my goal. Most are born with this will to survive, though life has allowed them to forget, it can be developed and nurtured...so keep working at it.

Worry~Don't worry be happy :) Worry is just interest paid on trouble that hasn't happened yet. I heard this here on WB, can't remember who said this, but I liked it...and it left an impression on me...Kudos to the author!

TD55
05-22-2013, 18:33
Thanks rocketsocks, you just saved me a bundle of cash now that I don't have to go see that monk dude in Tibet

rocketsocks
05-22-2013, 18:35
Thanks rocketsocks, you just saved me a bundle of cash now that I don't have to go see that monk dude in TibetThat old Monk changed me double...think he knew you weren't coming?

BostonBlue
05-22-2013, 18:38
Rocketsocks - Yours should be the Hiker's Creed.

rocketsocks
05-22-2013, 18:40
Rocketsocks - Yours should be the Hiker's Creed.Thanks, finally a question I could answer without having 2,300 miles under my belt, hehe

feel free to copy/edit and add your own, it'll save some typing

tawa
05-22-2013, 19:15
Good stuff Rocketsocks! Thanks for taking the time and thought u put into this!
I retired after thirty yr in the public schools as a teacher, coach, high school principal and supt. When I first started teaching I picked a different character trait each week and put it on the chalk board --say honesty/dishonesty---humily/arrogance inflated ego--and had the students define--describe--use it in discussion topics/questions etc. Af first they thought it was weird but then actually looked forward to each new week. We were serious but had fun with it and yrs later these students/adults would let me know how much the character lessons helped them towards being successful and responsible.
By the time I retired they told me I couldnt do this that it wasnt my role/job to develop their character!!! lol What a joke ---and we wonder why we have the problems we do!! grrrr
Thanks again rocketsocks---u made my day!

Deer Hunter
05-22-2013, 19:27
Acceptance~every body deserves a shot at, humans crave this.

alibis~don't care...unless your wanted by the law.

Anger~I have no time for this...moving on!

anxiety~take a Xanax, sit down an chill, it will pass.

Arrogance~again, no time for this unless your being a total dick, then I may actually engage you just to play you like a fiddle, till I get bored...then your dead to me.

Controversy~I'm trying hard not to engage, but sometimes it's fun, this I'll work on.

Courage~one of the highest coveted traits, we all have it within us.

Depression~everybody goes through this from time to time, just don't think the trail will cure all that ails ya, it can help, but it's not the solution.

Dishonesty~if you are a dishonest hiker, it wont be long till your figured out...you don't want or need this for yourself...honestly!

Honesty~be honest with yourself, the rest will fall into place...honestly!

Envy~sure, why not, as long as it's healthy and productive...but be careful, don't let it consume you.

Excuses~why bother, again be honest with yourself. People are smarter than you think, an excuses are like elbows, everybody's got one. Just Fess up!

Faith~your faith is none of my damn business.

Fear~use it to your advantage...it's just a feeling, nothing more, I'm hungey, tired, happy...that is all.

Forgiveness~this can really set you free, try it, it really works!

Friend ship~I'll never have enough friends...Make new friends, keep the old, one is silver, the other gold~told to me by and old friend

Frustration~we all get it from time to time.

Gratitude~be grateful each and every day, it could be your last.

Guilt~this will consume you...if you let it...so don't let it.

Humility~again one of the highly coveted traits, I hope I never loose mine.

Inferiority~just a feeling, nobody is better then you, remember this, cause it's true, were're all on this rock doin the best we can.

Perfectionism~I love watching a perfectionist in action, funny stuff, and you can learn some things too.

Pride~ It's good to be proud, but don't get out of hand, lest you fall into the Arrogance crowd, there's a fine line.

Resentment~but for what...this is a killer.

Responsibility~Do what you say you will do.

Tolerance~we could all use a little more of this...I'm working on this one too.

Trust~probably the one that is most important to hikers away from family and friends. If you find someone you can trust...your golden!

Unity~Them's that hikes, plays, and works together to achieve a common goal...stays together. No finer example we can be given than this past weekends tragedy in Damascus when many were in need.

Will~will I make it to the end of my goal. Most are born with this will to survive, though life has allowed them to forget, it can be developed and nurtured...so keep working at it.

Worry~Don't worry be happy :) Worry is just interest paid on trouble that hasn't happened yet.

Very good, socks. 21712

atmilkman
05-22-2013, 19:29
Pretty good Socks. Post of the day. Maybe the week. Maybe the month.

rocketsocks
05-22-2013, 19:30
Good stuff Rocketsocks! Thanks for taking the time and thought u put into this!
I retired after thirty yr in the public schools as a teacher, coach, high school principal and supt. When I first started teaching I picked a different character trait each week and put it on the chalk board --say honesty/dishonesty---humily/arrogance inflated ego--and had the students define--describe--use it in discussion topics/questions etc. Af first they thought it was weird but then actually looked forward to each new week. We were serious but had fun with it and yrs later these students/adults would let me know how much the character lessons helped them towards being successful and responsible.
By the time I retired they told me I couldnt do this that it wasnt my role/job to develop their character!!! lol What a joke ---and we wonder why we have the problems we do!! grrrr
Thanks again rocketsocks---u made my day!No, thank you...you just made my day! I agree it takes a village. Seems to me the hardest part of defining character traits is by their definition (oh the irony) but kids don't know how to act if they don't know what exactly what character traits are...ex; how could you teach humility with out the others traits being in place. kudos to you for bringing this to the forefront, I think it's a great topic.

rocketsocks
05-22-2013, 19:33
Very good, socks. 21712
that's a mighty big thumb..I have a confession, "I just stole this" thanks!

rocketsocks
05-22-2013, 19:35
Pretty good Socks. Post of the day. Maybe the week. Maybe the month.Dang..and those we just my first thoughts, thanks MM

Deer Hunter
05-22-2013, 19:38
that's a mighty big thumb..I have a confession, "I just stole this" thanks!

Take it, you deserve it.

fredmugs
05-23-2013, 06:51
I have found that the Marine Corps Leadership Traits of Bearing, Courage, Dependability, Decisiveness, Enthusiasm, Endurance, Integrity, Initiative, Judgment, Justice, Knowledge, Loyalty, Tact, and Unselfishness work well in any environment.

Bucketfoot
05-23-2013, 07:30
The character attributes we need in life are the same ones we need on the trail and everywhere else for that matter

Edro
05-23-2013, 08:32
Very Well Said Rocketsocks!

rocketsocks
05-23-2013, 08:55
Very Well Said Rocketsocks!Thank you, wish I'd have followed all those things when I was younger...but we got there!

rocketsocks
05-23-2013, 09:01
The character attributes we need in life are the same ones we need on the trail and everywhere else for that matter

How true, can't remember exactly where I saw this, and I won't say it correctly, but it was a popular poster about 20 years ago that listed all kinds of things you learned when you were little and the gist was...these are the same things that will carry you through life...it was pretty darn profound.

Somethin like "every thing you need to know you learned when you were little", and then went on to list them, be nice, treat others the way you want to be treated...ect..ect...

tawa
05-23-2013, 09:05
Yes its "Everything you need to learn you learned in Kindergarten" Such as learn to play well with others--learn to share your toys/things etc. Good stuff.

rocketsocks
05-23-2013, 09:08
Yes its "Everything you need to learn you learned in Kindergarten" Such as learn to play well with others--learn to share your toys/things etc. Good stuff.
That's it...Kindergarten, thanks Tawa. Maybe I saw it in one of my kids classrooms??? seems like somethin that would be posted there.

tawa
05-23-2013, 09:20
When on the trail I enjoy observing nature and comparing it to human life and our personalities and character traits.
Such as---Watch how water flows at the falls and along the thousand of stream crossings. It stays low and moves with such grace but is so powerful that it can cut through the hardest obstacles/rock. It seems to also go the way of least resistance with an energy of its own. In other words like humility--grace--steadiness-calmness-strength--etc I hope each day that I can hike and live in the same flow as that cool/refreshing mountain stream.

rocketsocks
05-23-2013, 09:35
I like watching the clouds in my coffee when I add the cream....that whole yin and yang thang, right in the palm of my hand. And while it's fleeting, I'm reminded that tomorrow is a new day, and I'll get to try again :)

JAK
05-23-2013, 10:25
Sense of humour is important, especially when hiking solo.
Being a good listener helps also. ;-)

dzierzak
05-23-2013, 10:38

Especially after you start talking to yourself...:rolleyes:

hikerboy57
05-23-2013, 10:38
being a good listener helps, especially when hiking solo.

i think one of the most important qualities is the ability to accept what is and make the necessary adjustments.

sense of humor, definitely, as well as optimism.