PDA

View Full Version : AT Natural History Trivia -- That every hiker should know

rickb
05-22-2013, 18:50
Just for fun I thought I'd start a list of AT Natural History trivia-- most of it true. Please add to my list as you see fit.

1. The large (about 10" x 4") oval holes you see in tress were the work of a Pileated Woodpecker.

2. The brightest celestial object in the nigh sky after the moon is Venus

3. Rhododendron leaves curl up tight at about 25*

4. The piles of macaroni-shaped scat you see near piles of rocks were left by porcupines

5. A telephoto lens is not required to take a close up picture of a Spruce Grouse

6. The Eastern Box Turtle you see on the AT could be 30 years+ years old

7. The amazing white-throated sparrow song really does sound like "Old-Sam-Peabody-Peabody"

8. Beavers mate for life

9. Its a Parliament of Owls but a murder of Crows

10. Americas first gold rush was in Georgia near the start/end of the AT

Sarcasm the elf
05-22-2013, 19:06
Very cool!

atmilkman
05-22-2013, 19:12
Yes, pretty cool. You said "most" of it is true. How about Virginia is flat.

rocketsocks
05-22-2013, 19:18
Yes very cool topic rick...

8. beavers mate for life, and are one of the only animals to change there environment to suit their needs.

10. Dalonnega gold rush, started the ball rolling for a mass exitus of Cherokee Indians in that area to the "Trail of Tears" in attempt to move them off their native lands so the gold could be exploited. lots of good reading on this subject.

3. Rhododendrons leaves curl at 25 degrees...did not know this...Cool.

moytoy
05-22-2013, 19:30
The original trail up Shuckstack from Fontana was not graded. It basically went straight up the mountain. It wasn't graded until the 60's. I came down shuckstack in 1960.
I hope others chime in on this thread. It could be interesting.

WingedMonkey
05-22-2013, 20:34
1. The large (about 10" x 4") oval holes you see in tress were the work of a Pileated Woodpecker.

Here's one that hangs out in my yard. Video is shaky, I was trying to sneak around him.

Gives me a headache to see/hear how hard he bangs his head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgPMnR1vY2o&feature=youtu.be

johnnybgood
05-22-2013, 21:01
Crickets can actually be helpful in determining how cold it is .
Listen closely and count the number of chirps heard in 14 seconds, adding 40 degrees to that number to get actual air tempature

Crickets stop chirping at 55 degrees fahrenheit . Apparently , the slower the rate of chirps, the cooler the temperature.

rickb
05-23-2013, 17:36
Some more...

13. If you think you smell a skunk, it could well be fox urine.

14. On the AT, true north is a bit to the right of magnetic north. Just the opposite on the PCT. I think life is easier in Iowa or there abouts. Really.

15. The North Star can be easily found if you see the Big Dipper. Just "draw" a line from the star marking the bottom outside edge of the bowl up to the star marking the top outside edge of the bowl. Extend that line 5 times, and you have Polaris.

16. The northern lights are visible from the AT but are often obscured by tree cover. Oh well.

17 Northbounders get to enjoy their colorful spring warblers. Southbounders' are drab and dull.

18. Southbounders are very well positioned for the fall raptor migration. On a good day "semi pro" observers might count 1000 birds or more on Hawk Mountain (which is down a blue blaze). Good spot to learn about a different kind of Kettle and borrow some binoculars.

19. Deers eyes shine a greenish white at night, and bears shine yellow-red. Or is that the other way around? Hell if I know.

20. If all plants had as descriptive a name as Scouring Rush (AKA Horsetail -- which is a really cool plant when you consider how little its changed over the Millenium) they would be much easier to remember. Trout Lilly is another good one.

Anyone else with some trivia? Please, I need help.

Tractor
05-23-2013, 18:15
How many battle sites, any war, can one pass through on a thru? I do not know yet.

Teacher & Snacktime
05-23-2013, 18:38
How many battle sites, any war, can one pass through on a thru? I do not know yet.

The Battle of South Mountain took place on the Crampton, Turner and Fox Gaps of Maryland. Two future Presidents, Hayes and McKinley, were participants in the battle.

johnnybgood
05-23-2013, 19:10
Battle of Manassas Gap
Battle of Front Royal
Battle of Harpers Ferry
Battle of Antietam Creek

There were numerous civil war battles in western Va. within a days walk of the AT.

Great thread rick, and a great topic tractor

Mr. Bumpy
05-23-2013, 19:33
Skirmishes in Hot Springs and nasty militia actions in and around the Shelton Laurel area near Jerry Cabin.

A WWI POW camp for Germans was located in Hot Springs.

Sarcasm the elf
05-23-2013, 20:41

I'm currently reading "Walkin' with the Ghost Whisperers" by JR "Model T" Tate, it is a chronicle of the history and legend of the area surrounding the A.T. and includes many stories about the battles in the vicinity of the trail. I'm only about 1/5th of the way through it and it has been a fascinating book so far.

fredmugs
05-26-2013, 14:53
Most of it true? There's nothing in that list that I "should" know or even need to know.

Likes2travel
05-26-2013, 21:08
Good Stuff

rickb
05-26-2013, 21:10
Most of it true? There's nothing in that list that I "should" know or even need to know.

I can't disagree with that. In the end, everyone finds what works for himself self what works and adds dimension to their hikes and life.

Dogwood
05-26-2013, 23:15
3. Rhododendron leaves curl up tight at about 25*

Assuming it's not happening from something else YES this happens because rhodies, and other members in the Azalea family, are reducing moisture loss through the leaves when it's cold. Quite a few plant species can curl their leaves during winter to reduce moisture loss but rhodies do it quite significantly. Some plants including rhodies can have issues with dessication during winter months which is why I 'll sometimes spray plants with an anti-dessicant during winter that are highly exposed. The leaves cup and curl tighter and tighter as the temps get lower and lower giving the plant a different textural appearance based on how cold it is. By looking out my window at the rhodies in winter I can tell how cold it is by how tightly curled and cupped the rhodie leaves are BUT since I've been in Hawaii during winter lately........

Here's a nice snapshot: http://www.salemnews.com/lifestyle/x415199712/Drop-in-temperature-causes-rhododendron-leaves-to-curl-tightly

8. Beavers mate for life

Several animal species do this probably most recognized is the Bald Eagle which typically does this. Hey, when you find someone good they are worth holding onto.

fiddlehead
05-27-2013, 00:00
You can tell when the moon is full because it rises at the same time that the sun sets.
And it rises aprox one hour later every night.

If you are going to nighthike (not all night but a few hours into the night), half moon is your best time as it's at the top of the sky at dusk. (sunset)

Another little hint is that you can tell the aprox sunset by holding your fist at arm's length and sighting the distance between the sun and the horizon.
One fist is one hour's time before sunset.

Here at the beach, I can even get it down to a pretty accurate 15 minutes (1/4 fist).
Of course on the AT, the horizon is not as pronounced as the sea. But as a general rule, without a watch, this a pretty accurate way of telling how many miles you can go before dark. (I'm one who eats dinner and then hikes a few more miles as I prefer that time of day.)

Dogwood
05-27-2013, 00:14

These are large woodpeckers that the Woody the Woodpecker cartoon was based upon. There's an area on the Pinhoti Trail where the forest is largely managed specifically for the conservation of these birds. To me, when Pileated Woodpeckers are tapping away at a tree of all the woodpeckers species I've had the pleasure of viewing they sound like they are LOUDLY knocking on a wooden door.

7. The amazing white-throated sparrow song really does sound like "Old-Sam-Peabody-Peabody

Try the second recording for this little bird. You'll get more of the Old-Sam Peabody idea.

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/White-throated_Sparrow/sounds

In the U.S. the common male Brown Headed Cowbird reminds me of R2D2.

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Brown-headed_Cowbird/sounds

And, who can forget the sounds of the Eastern Whip-poor -will

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Whip-poor-will/sounds

This is a great site for bird watchers.... and listeners.

Dogwood
05-27-2013, 00:17
Fiddlehead that was enlightening info. Didn't know that stuff.

fiddlehead
05-27-2013, 08:15
Thanks Dogwood.
Here's another little tidbit (although not natural history by any means): When using 100,000 to 1 scale maps (many of the BLM, and Forest service maps, you'll have to check the scale), putting your thumb, index and middle fingers tight together to use as a measuring device will be aprox one mile. Easy to figure out how far to water/road/whatever as a quick and easy guide.

What else? Let's see, how about cows never walk more than 2 miles away from water (OK, not AT related but other trails, this comes in handy).

And one more: you can tell north by looking at Orion's belt. You have to accept that the 3 stars making up the belt are NY city, St. Louis and LA and then create you line that is north. This takes a little imagination and leaning as you would think it would be up, but it does work. I've tried it. Of course Orion is only out at dusk in the winter and you won't see it in the summer except at about 4 in the morning so, you should'nt be trying to figure out north at 4 am unless you did something REALLY wrong.

I'm sure most of you know how to find the north star (which is very faint actually, for those who don't know) but following an imaginary line from the front of the cup of the big dipper. (which is very easy to find of course).

And: "When you see the southern cross for the first time. You'll understand just why you came this way"

The more you hike, the more you learn. (I guess the more you read whiteblaze the more you learn too)

Dogwood
05-27-2013, 14:10
14. On the AT, true north is a bit to the right of magnetic north. Just the opposite on the PCT. I think life is easier in Iowa or there abouts. Really.

Although not a HUGE factor when you can follow the obvious beaten down tread and abundant blazes and signage of the AT Super Hiker Highway NOT taking into account magnetic declination is a getting lost scenario in the making. Of course, uhh, I've never made that mistake.:o

perdidochas
05-28-2013, 10:26
9. Its a Parliament of Owls but a murder of Crows

And a conspiracy of ravens.

MyName1sMud
05-28-2013, 10:43
Yes very cool topic rick...

8. beavers mate for life, and are one of the only animals to change there environment to suit their needs.

10. .

Which just so happens is the very reason people like me have to kill them. They are little destructive bastards.

Seatbelt
05-28-2013, 13:39
Here's an extra one: A strong "cucumber" smell usually signals the presence of copperhead snakes. Also copperhead snakes usually have a green tail.

Dogwood
05-28-2013, 13:47
I think I smell a cucumber. Watch out where you step! That would go over well!

rocketsocks
05-28-2013, 16:14
Which just so happens is the very reason people like me have to kill them. They are little destructive bastards.Me too

also saw this past weekend on the AT there doing a job up there also. if this dam breaks it will wash out the entire "Swamp trail" it would be an impressive sight! to say the least21799

rocketsocks
05-28-2013, 16:16
I think I smell a cucumber. Watch out where you step! That would go over well!I swear I smelled cucs this weekend, but it was darn cold out, I still kept an eye out tho....nothin...darn

Odd Man Out
05-28-2013, 17:45
T...And one more: you can tell north by looking at Orion's belt. You have to accept that the 3 stars making up the belt are NY city, St. Louis and LA and then create you line that is north. This takes a little imagination and leaning as you would think it would be up, but it does work. I've tried it. Of course Orion is only out at dusk in the winter and you won't see it in the summer except at about 4 in the morning so, you should'nt be trying to figure out north at 4 am unless you did something REALLY wrong. ...

You can also use the Big Dipper to tell what time it is. Again, useful if you are out in the middle of the night, there are no clouds, you can see through the trees, and your watch and cell phone are not working, you want to know what time it is and you can do all the math in your head and you don't need to be more accurate than +/- an hour.

http://www.physics.ucla.edu/~huffman/dtime.html

johnnybgood
05-28-2013, 18:08
Speaking of weather related facts, a ring,(halo) around the moon means stormy weather in the next days forecast.

Alleghanian Orogeny
05-28-2013, 19:05
While Dahlonega was the site of an early gold rush in 1828, the first authenticated discovery of gold by Europeans was east of Charlotte, NC in 1799. Young Conrad Reed was playing hooky from church services by bow and arrow fishing in a large creek when he found a large gold-colored rock. The Reeds kept the curious rock as a door-stop for 3 years when a passing silversmith recognized it and offered Mr. Reed $3 for it. The nugget was several pounds in weight and once Mr. Reed learned of its true value, he paid a visit to the silversmith and extracted additional compensation. By the 1804 time frame, Reed and others had found many large nuggets in the creek and a genuine gold rush within the Piedmont of NC and nearby SC was under way.

Will Thomas, the first white man to be elected Chief of the Eastern Band of the Cherokees, formed Thomas' Legion during the Civil War. They fought for the South and conducted raids over the mountains in Union-controlled East Tennessee. They also fortified the major gaps and garrisoned them against attack from Tennessee.

One of my personal favorite AT/Blue Ridge Mountains/Civil War links is related to Brown's Gap, VA, now within the Shenandoah NP. During the 1862 Valley Campaign, Stonewall Jackson's force was moving along the headwaters of the Shenandoah River near present day Port Republic when torrential rains so badly slowed them that they faced destruction if they were to try to proceed to Staunton, their intended destination. Jackson and the locals among his command realized the force of some 10,000 could ascend Brown's Gap along a well-built toll road and cross over to the Piedmont side, and they did so. Advanced parties of cavalry reached the railroad at Mechum's River Station, near present-day Crozet, VA, and a motley locomotive and some railroad cars were dispatched from Charlottesville. With the sick, the wounded, and heavy supplies aboard, the train headed west for Staunton via the Blue Ridge Tunnel (aka Crozet Tunnel), which had been completed beneath Rockfish Gap just 7 years previously. Within 3 days of having climbed out of the Valley at Port Republic, the force was in Staunton and was in position to maintain their movements free from harassment by Union forces.

AO

HeartFire
05-28-2013, 19:19
the wood thrush is my favorite - esp. when 2 or 3 of them start to sing a duet
http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Wood_Thrush/sounds

chief
05-29-2013, 00:26

These are large woodpeckers that the Woody the Woodpecker cartoon was based upon. There's an area on the Pinhoti Trail where the forest is largely managed specifically for the conservation of these birds.
It's the Red Cockaded Woodpecker (on the Endangered Species List) being actively conserved in Alabama and other states. Different bird.

Kookork
05-29-2013, 00:58
One of the best threads I have ever read in WB.