PDA

View Full Version : Groundhog Creek Shelter

trailfinder
07-13-2005, 20:49
Shelter is an open front three sided stone shelter. Room for five or six. Nice location. Water nearby but there is a horse trail that crosses the stream. Horse manure was very near the stream. Bear tracks were also around the stream. Saw one mouse early in the evening, but no mice problems.

MOWGLI
07-13-2005, 21:28
Shelter is an open front three sided stone shelter. Room for five or six. Nice location. Water nearby but there is a horse trail that crosses the stream. Horse manure was very near the stream. Bear tracks were also around the stream. Saw one mouse early in the evening, but no mice problems.

I was there the night three cowboys and a cowgirl was there (July 3). The shelter was dark & dirty. I camped up at the gap and reported the incident with the horses to the CMC and the ATC afterwards.

hans
08-28-2006, 19:37
I stopped here on Aug. 13th but didn't stay. There were 10-12 teenagers staying the night, who had hiked up a short distance from a nearby road. There seemed to be some nice campsites between the shelter and the water area. The water source was decent, but it's about 0.3 mi downhill from the AT. If you only need water, the AT crosses the same creek just south of the gap where the shelter trail meets the AT near the base of Snowbird Mtn.

wilconow
06-05-2007, 10:56
Stayed here June 2007. Quiet location, nice raised floor. No problems with mice. Water source was great.. didn't see any horse manure. Tons of tentsites around.

grumpy&happy
09-06-2010, 16:27
Got into Shelter right before the bottom dropped out Friday 9/3 about 5pm. Room for about 6 folks. No mice to be seen. Water about 100 yds away and running well, with a little falls, not just a trickle. No horse stuff, nor did any bears show up. Privy was just OK. Bear Cable worked great. good restful night. On our way to Walnut Mt Shelter about 12-13 mi North.

JustADude
02-25-2014, 12:27
How is this shelter looking these days? Bear or horse problems?

Seatbelt
02-25-2014, 13:27
How is this shelter looking these days? Bear or horse problems?
I stayed in this shelter in Oct 2011--no mice, bear or horse problems at that time. Stopped in for lunch last Oct(2013)--didn't stay, can't say about mice or bears now, but didn't see any horse manure anywhere around the shelter or on the nearby trail either.

JustADude
02-28-2014, 17:10
Thanks for the feedback. I'm hoping Groundhog Creek Shelter is nice...one way or another to find out for sure:)

Berry Belle
09-21-2015, 21:57
The shelter area had a lot of trash when I was there in September of 2015. The moldering privy was in deplorable condition with a toilet seat that had moldered away until it had almost fallen apart. I thought maybe the caretaker had retired and another had not yet been found. The shelter itself is a small but appealing old stone structure that probably has historic value. So sad to see the place in this condition.

Theosus
09-22-2015, 13:54
Berry, how was the water in this area? I'm going from Davenport to Hot Springs in a couple of weeks.

Berry Belle
09-23-2015, 21:58
There was plenty of water. However, due to the condition of the toilet seat, I suspect non-use of the privy and possible contamination of the water source. I didn't need water, but if I got it there, I would definitely purify the heck out of it.

Berry Belle
09-23-2015, 21:59
I should mention that all the shelters had water, but some of the other springs were low or dry.

pkinnetz
03-14-2016, 23:42
Im planning a stay there mid April & was wondering if there had been any repairs to the privy? And did I read correctly that there is a bear cable? Great news!

Seatbelt
03-15-2016, 09:26
Im planning a stay there mid April & was wondering if there had been any repairs to the privy? And did I read correctly that there is a bear cable? Great news!
Can't answer the privy question, but Yes there are bear cables.

la.lindsey
03-15-2016, 13:10
Yes, privy is fine. There's a creek close to the shelter and another one (follow the sign that says "water") further back. I was there last week and there were several trees down on the path to the shelter, but if you're not hiking in at night you'll be fine.

Everything did get damp, though. Not sure if it was just dew point or if it rained in the night and the shelter isn't that great, but sleeping bag to pack- everything was wet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk