PDA

View Full Version : Trail reroute near Damascus?

wren again
05-22-2013, 20:18
Is anyone aware of a trail reroute near Damascus, perhaps due to high water? If so, is this adding substantial or little mileage? Thanks for any information you can pass on.

Lone Wolf
05-22-2013, 20:31
i've heard of no re-route or damage anywhere near here. where you get this info?

hikerboy57
05-22-2013, 20:40
there is a high water alternate route at wautaga lake.its a few days before damascus

wren again
05-22-2013, 22:44
OK, received clarification. This person was talking about the Virginia Creeper Trail, and not knowing a lot about trails, thought it was part of the AT. I do see, now that I am looking in the right place, that there was damage to that bike trail.

wren again
05-22-2013, 22:45
Again, I continue to learn... I see that the two trails run concurrently for a little distance, but the damage was not in that spot.

Doctari
05-23-2013, 13:57
OK, received clarification. This person was talking about the Virginia Creeper Trail, and not knowing a lot about trails, thought it was part of the AT. I do see, now that I am looking in the right place, that there was damage to that bike trail.

Not that odd really, with non hikers at least. I was in Red River Gorge in KY late winter or early spring a few years ago & a climber happily told me that the nearby (I was about 50' from it) "Sheltowee trace trail is a part of the AT"
I told him "I WISH! But the closest the AT comes is about 300 miles from here."
I did so nicely, but he was still TOTALLY deflated.
My companion had finished a Thru the previous fall, so after climber was out of hearing range we laughed quietly.

NLaeger
05-24-2013, 12:34
I recently left Damascus and they were rerouting parts of the AT back to the Virginia Creeper trail due to some flooding of foot bridges. The AT section North of the Luther Hassinger Bridge was open but sections south of there were rerouted, Not sure if they are still rerouted or not.

Gramps
05-29-2013, 22:14
The VCT constantly has repairs going on due to the large number of trestles (sp) and the heavy bike traffic. Most of the time it is easy to go around.

Lone Wolf
05-29-2013, 22:19
the little bridge at the 5 mile creek crossing got washed out. you can ford it now. rock hop 10 feet maybe. very laughable. maine folks would chuckle

HikerMom58
05-30-2013, 20:32
Lone Wolf.... Special K from White Blaze lost her camera right at this 5 mile creek crossing. She was on the bridge with her Dad before it washed out completely and the camera fell into the water. It's a Nikon Coolpix camera. Black on one side Orange on the other side. She is offering a reward to anyone that finds it. It's waterproof and shock proof. She's hoping that the camera strap got caught on something so it wouldn't have gone very far down stream. It landed with the black side of the camera facing up and drifted away. :( They are continuing to hike but desperately wants her camera back. I'm putting here, first.

Lone Wolf
05-30-2013, 20:47
i'll look for it tomorrow

HikerMom58
05-30-2013, 20:54
i'll look for it tomorrow

THanks LW... I knew I could count on you... thanks a million!!:D