PDA

View Full Version : Blood Mtn Shelter Open/Bear Issue?

Tenacfan
05-23-2013, 06:16
Was up Springer area last month and there was a lot of conflicting info, could someone please clarify the following for me: Is Blood Mtn Shelter open or did the they close it due to Bear issues? Are Bear canisters required for this area? Word on the trail last month was that they weren't requiring the canisters this year (weren't working anyway) and had closed the Blood Mtn shelter due to bear population.

Appreciate any info anyone can provide, fixin to head out this weekend to do all of GA next week, wish me luck!

wookinpanub
05-23-2013, 08:31
Personally, I would avoid the shelter altogether. It's usually trashed (and I've stayed in some dumps.). There are better options nearby.
Regarding bear canisters, this is from the Forest Service website:
The USDA Forest Service and Appalachian Trail hikers are experiencing fewer black bear conflicts along a 5-mile section of trail from Jarrard Gap to Neels Gap in the Chattahoochee National Forest after implementation of a seasonal requirement for all overnight campers to carry bear-resistant canisters to contain personal garbage, toiletries and foods. The requirement goes into effect again this year beginning March 1 and ends June 1.

M&M.
05-23-2013, 08:32
I was in that area last month. Shelter was open but you had to have a bear canister. Nobody was staying at the blood mountain shelter because of that. Everyone seemed to camp before blood mountain or hike over it and camp. Many signs posted .

Tenacfan
05-23-2013, 09:02
Thanks for the quick responses, I understand, don't stay in shelters (weather permitting), stay in the area of. New plan would be stop short at Woods Hole Shelter and then go for Low Gap shelter the following night. Does this sound like a better plan? Again, thanks for all your help

max patch
05-23-2013, 09:47
Woods Hole is in the bear vault zone.

Its 19 miles from Lance Creek to Low Gap so carry your Companion or other guide so you'll know where alternative water sources are if you decide to stop short.

Arden
06-20-2013, 22:34
Is it safe/allowed to tent near the shelters in this area? I haven't been on the trail overnight in a while, and it seems that a lot has changed. I do own a bear canister though.
Thanks
Arden

max patch
06-20-2013, 23:10
Is it safe/allowed to tent near the shelters in this area? I haven't been on the trail overnight in a while, and it seems that a lot has changed. I do own a bear canister though.
Thanks
Arden

You can tent where ever you want. Bear canisters are not required until 3/1/14 (seasonal requirement).

marti038
06-21-2013, 08:54
Was up Springer area last month and there was a lot of conflicting info, could someone please clarify the following for me: Is Blood Mtn Shelter open or did the they close it due to Bear issues? Are Bear canisters required for this area? Word on the trail last month was that they weren't requiring the canisters this year (weren't working anyway) and had closed the Blood Mtn shelter due to bear population.

Appreciate any info anyone can provide, fixin to head out this weekend to do all of GA next week, wish me luck!

Come back and tell us about your trip afterwards. I'll be hiking this section in a couple of months and would be interested in hearing how it goes.

litefoot2000
06-21-2013, 10:08
I was at Blood Mtn. last week and realized that the sleep platforms had been removed from the shelter. When and why did this occur?

Arden
06-21-2013, 21:03
You can tent where ever you want. Bear canisters are not required until 3/1/14 (seasonal requirement).
I was never much good at getting the bag up into the trees, so I bought the canister. The downside is of course the added weight. Mine is 2lbs empty! But it should carry enough grub for 7 days!

Arden

Tenacfan
06-23-2013, 08:03
I know I have read quite a bit about the trail and there is a lot written about GA (duh, first state on the trail for lots of folks), anywho, didn't expect all the rocks (read boulders) in N GA. Literally a couple of places where you just have to guess the best way from across.

Overall, well worth the journey, looking forward to doing NC over the 4th.