PDA

View Full Version : I thought Georgia was not that bad...

Spirit Bear
05-23-2013, 08:05
I just finishedup hiking from Neel gap and went about 10 miles into north Carolina. Ihiked from springer to Neel gap last July. Last July I was beat,the hills the first 30 miles crushed me. I had to much weight, my bootstore my feet up and I had knee problems by the time I hobbled into Neelgap. This past week I hiked the rest of Georgia,which I thought was more difficult than the first 30 miles, however I didn'tthink overall GA was that bad. Every up and down it seemed wasrewarded with some nice flat miles with softtrail. I'm still new at this but I know, KNOW Icould have gone another 100 miles easily. My body wasstarting to get in hiker shape towards the end. I had zero blisters, noknee problems and know ankle problems. My take onhiking is this after the first 88 miles of trail.

1. Keepyour base weight under 20lbs if you can get it that low (mine is just over15lbs)

2. Do notover pack food or water, in GA you will pass a water source maximum I think 6miles. I only carried 2, 1 liter smart water bottles and that wasplenty. For food, you can go into towns to resupply every 20miles if you want, so don't carry 10 days of food with you. You can resupplyat woody gap-(20), Neel gap (31), Unicoi Gap (52), Dicks Creek (70),standing Indian, NC (88). Keep your overall pack weight under30lbs. Mine never got over 24lbs the 2nd trip.

3. Youhave to be able to get a good night's rest. I switched to a hammock andthat works for me, I slept a solid 7-9 hours every night. Anyslight muscle soreness I had the night before was healed up fine by themorning.

4. Youmust be content with yourself walking for 8-12 hours a day.

I am new tohiking but after the first 88 miles of trail on the AT from springer I have figuredout some things. I do think, know I could hike to Maine, thehardest part now is carving out 6 months of my time to just break away from mymatrix life I am in. Hoping to thru hike in 2014 or2015. But my take, Georgia was not that difficult. The hardest climb is out of bly gap, once you get into NC Ithought.

Malto
05-23-2013, 08:38
Sounds like a very successful hike as far the learning. It's too bad more aspiring thru hikers don't do similiar per-thru shakedown hikes. It was greatly decrease the number of abandoned hikes during the first hundred miles.

Spirit Bear
05-23-2013, 08:43
Sounds like a very successful hike as far the learning. It's too bad more aspiring thru hikers don't do similiar per-thru shakedown hikes. It was greatly decrease the number of abandoned hikes during the first hundred miles.
Thanks, yes this was my shakedown hike, it ended up being 2 separate hikes and took 10 months to finish. I do strongly suggest anyone thinking of doing a thru hike to get out and hike for a week with your gear somewhere, I would say on the AT if it's near you or some type of trail with ups and downs and rain.

SouthernPride
05-23-2013, 09:15
I'm going to use the pinhoti trail, the ouachita mountains in southwest ar and the ozarks for shakedowns. they are all about 6-8 hr drive from the house. hope to do several 3 day or so weekends, with one week long trip between now and next May. Thanks for posting your experience, it really helps us out of shape and inexperienced old guys

patman25
05-23-2013, 09:41
I'd say Georgia is bad if you hit the trail with no physical preparation. I believe I would have completed my thru hike had I done a week long shakedown hike before hand, as it was, I failed just due to not understanding the actual logistics of a really long, multiple day hike.

I agree with you that the climb from GA to NC is harder than anything in GA.

Cookerhiker
05-23-2013, 10:27
Glad it worked out for you. Sounds like you learned and applied lessons from your first hike for a successful second hike. Keep on truckin'!

slbirdnerd
05-23-2013, 15:46
Thanks for sharing, headed to that section this summer. Sounds like you'll be alright next year--some don't even make it to NC!

MuddyWaters
05-23-2013, 20:53
Anyplace is bad if you are out of shape and carrying a heavy pack.

If you want to hike in mountains, you will need to go uphill, and downhill. Its pretty darn simple.

If it seems hard, slow down. You can comfortably take ANYTHING one step at a time, and consider it to be easy.

Its a question of pace, and weight, not terrain.

hmkr
05-23-2013, 22:24
Hiked springer to neels gap last year. Will be hiking neels to deep gap this coming week. Cheers!