PDA

View Full Version : Would a 40 proof sleeping bag and a tarp be enough?

Galkim
05-23-2013, 08:56
Hey all!
Panning on doing a part of the AT starting June 15th for 4-5 weeks... with some recommendations i got in this forum, i would probably be starting in upstae NY or CT goin up to, well, wherever i get...
i was thinking that in this time of the year 1 40F-proof sleeping bag and a rain-proof tarp should do it for me, and i wouldnt need to get a tent or a heftier sleeping bag....
Any thoughts?

garlic08
05-23-2013, 09:33
That should be good for that time of year, according to my limited experience (that's when I passed through there on my AT hike). You may want to add a mosquito net for your head at least, and bring long trousers and sleeves for ticks and such. Be ready for mud in Vermont. Have a great hike.

TheYoungOne
05-23-2013, 10:19
The bag should be enough, but this year was real screwy along the trail with unusually cold weather just hanging on thru most of the spring. If you were coming on May 15 I would say maybe/maybe not...but June it should definately be warmer than 45F at night, Around that time temps averages 50's to 60's at night and the 80's during the day. I would bring a mosquito net (if not a tent) and bug spray. Lyme disease was invented in CT, so watch out for ticks. Good luck and have fun.

Ohh and June 21st gets real interesting hiking on the AT.... ;)

Don H
05-23-2013, 10:54
Go with a tent to avoid the bugs. The black flies can be bad that time of year.

Mayer
05-28-2013, 01:42
What's June 21st on the AT?

atbackpacker
05-28-2013, 06:10
hike naked day!

q-tip
05-28-2013, 06:51
If you are a cold sleeper, this might not be enough.

Kerosene
05-28-2013, 09:49
I had a 35-degree bag in north Jersey the first week of June several years ago that was just barely enough. It can get mighty chilly on the northern ridges even through June. You might be okay if the bag isn't too tight and you can supplement with dry camp clothing.

TheYoungOne
05-28-2013, 16:05
What's June 21st on the AT?

Its the Summer Solstice and what atbackpaker said...

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?68103-Rite-of-the-summer-solstice

Mayer
05-30-2013, 01:22
Excellent.

Dogwood
05-30-2013, 02:01
Depends, could be peeerfect. or Not. Here's what I want to know. Is the bag new and accurately rated. Who makes it? What model? Synthetic or down? Tell me the specs on the bag? What's the size of your tarp and how much experience do you have with it in rain, finding a protected campsite, and pitching it? How do you sleep - neutral, warm, cold? Going to have clothes to sleep in? Groundcloth? Sleep pad? Are you going to avoid shelters? 40* bag on the AT in that area in a shelter for that timeframe is probably good to go.

You got a little temp wiggle room as far as sleeping in the lowest expected nighttime temps but still don't want to be in a wet bag under too small a tarp in a driving nighttime rain with a 40* bag even in nighttime lows of 50-60*. Prepare for bzzz bzzz bzzz bzzz buzzing in camp with the vampires and the what the f*&^ is biting mees.

Israelis get around. I've always enjoyed hiking with them. GREAT folks. Have a GREAT AT hike.

Dogwood
05-30-2013, 02:05
but still don't want to be in a wet bag under too small a tarp in a driving nighttime rain poorly sited or configured with a 40* bag even in nighttime lows of 50-60*. Work the shelters to your advantage based on weather and you should be good ta go.

stranger
05-31-2013, 10:19
I would say that would be fine for me, but I would be far more concerned with bugs, I hiked the mid-atlantic in 2001 during summer, started around the same time down in Waynesboro, whatever you decide to get check into some net tents from Yama Mountain Gear, Mountain Laurel Designs, Six Moon Designs, etc...