PDA

View Full Version : Just got a Packa....wont fit over pack setup.

Tree Nerd
05-23-2013, 10:51
So while I was down a trail days I picked up a Packa for $10 :eek:, but it wont fit over my pack with my current setup. I have a 55L pack, which it fits fine over, but I strap my sleeping pad to the bottom of my pack and it wont fit over that. Im currently using an REI 3/4 length 1.75" thick self inflating pad, but I will be using a therm-a-rest ridgerest for my thru; they both take up the same amount of area. ..any suggestions on how to pack it? I could strap it to the side or somewhere on top and wrap it around.....IMO the Packa has too small of a pack cover.

nastynate
05-23-2013, 10:55
Fold the pad and put it against your back, or burrito roll it and put all your gear inside the roll.

moldy
05-23-2013, 16:05
Well that sucks. Here is what I do. Roll up your sleeping pad and set it aside. Put the pack cover on your backpack. Run a line or light rope through your rolled up pad. Now tie the pad across your backpack. The pad gets no protection from the rain.

Tree Nerd
05-23-2013, 16:34
I like the idea of putting it against my back in the pack....I always have extra room in pack.

Well that sucks. Here is what I do. Roll up your sleeping pad and set it aside. Put the pack cover on your backpack. Run a line or light rope through your rolled up pad. Now tie the pad across your backpack. The pad gets no protection from the rain.

No protection is fine, its a ridgerest so it doesnt matter if it gets wet.

rocketsocks
05-23-2013, 19:43
I'll give ya $11.00 dollars for it :)

if you don't get it figured out.

Deacon
05-23-2013, 20:11
When I bought my Packa, Eddie at Cedartree sewed in a panel of extra material to cover my Aether 85. If you call him, I'm sure he would be glad to do the same for you.

pafarmboy
05-23-2013, 20:18
...IMO the Packa has too small of a pack cover.

If you order one, you can get different sizes. Picking one up for 10 bucks and then bitchin' is a bit rude.

rocketsocks
05-23-2013, 20:24
When I bought my Packa, Eddie at Cedartree sewed in a panel of extra material to cover my Aether 85. If you call him, I'm sure he would be glad to do the same for you.There you go...that's what I'd do, good idea Deacon.

Tree Nerd
05-24-2013, 10:11
If you order one, you can get different sizes. Picking one up for 10 bucks and then bitchin' is a bit rude.

Packa makes one size for the cover, the only thing that changes with the sizes is the jacket....and I'm not "bitchin", I'm stoked I got such a good deal, I'm just trying to find a way to make it work with my setup.

Nooga
05-24-2013, 10:20
There you go...that's what I'd do, good idea Deacon.

Eddie is a great guy and I'm sure he would be willing to work with you on a fix.

Cedar Tree
05-24-2013, 10:25
Packa makes one size for the cover, the only thing that changes with the sizes is the jacket.

That's not right. You are correct that the small, medium, and large Packas have the same packcover size. But I do offer a mediumx and a largex size which have the same jacket size as the medium and large but a bigger packcover by about 1000ci. If you could get your sleeping pad inside your pack, you would probably be fine.
ct

BirdBrain
05-24-2013, 10:25
Packa makes different sizes for the cover. I agree... you are not complaining. You were seeking help. I have a medium that I use on my Osprey Aether 60 and I will be carrying 9.5 days of food during the 1st leg.. It takes a little planning to make it fit right. This is not a bad thing. In my opinion, you should have a good plan in packing your pack and do it the same way every day. If you have room in the pack that seems to be the best answer.

CT bent over backwards to answer all my questions. A large part of why I am contributing to this thread is to praise him and his product. And to outbid RS, I will give you $12.

I was a bit slow with my answer and CT beat me to it. Thank you again and again CT for the great product.

Tree Nerd
05-24-2013, 10:56
Thanks for the input guys; I didn't know about the x sizes. Regardless, I'm going to stick with what I got and make it work. Im going to get my pack together this week with all my thru gear and see if I can cram it all in. I think I should be fine. If not, I'm going to start chucking stuff out of my pack until I make it fit.