PDA

View Full Version : Pillows

TurboPants
05-23-2013, 12:54
Long story short, my neck is kinda finicky from when I wrecked my stock car a few years ago. I still have aspirations of a thru in 2014 but I'm gonna have to figure out how to get my neck comfortable. I will probably be using a Thermarest Prolite-Plus sleeping pad. I also have one of those $20 Cocoon air pillows. I just tried laying on the pad with that pillow and it couldn't be more uncomfortable! After only 30 seconds my neck starts to hurt and feel tight. I know I can't be the only person who is into hiking with a bad neck. So what other options could I try? I'm not a fan of air pillows based on my experience with the cocoon one because it seems like whatever is heaviest moves the air around. I know a lot of people don't take a pillow and use a stuff sack, but what is in the stuff sack? Any ideas or options would be appreciated!! Thanks folks

BirdBrain
05-23-2013, 13:01
Long story short, my neck is kinda finicky from when I wrecked my stock car a few years ago. I still have aspirations of a thru in 2014 but I'm gonna have to figure out how to get my neck comfortable. I will probably be using a Thermarest Prolite-Plus sleeping pad. I also have one of those $20 Cocoon air pillows. I just tried laying on the pad with that pillow and it couldn't be more uncomfortable! After only 30 seconds my neck starts to hurt and feel tight. I know I can't be the only person who is into hiking with a bad neck. So what other options could I try? I'm not a fan of air pillows based on my experience with the cocoon one because it seems like whatever is heaviest moves the air around. I know a lot of people don't take a pillow and use a stuff sack, but what is in the stuff sack? Any ideas or options would be appreciated!! Thanks folks

My extra clothes are in the "stuff sack". My sleeping bag is made by Big Agnes. They have a built in pouch for this purpose. I am a warm sleeper, so most of my clothes are in there. Other things that can go in there are partially inflated freezer bags and water shoes. I know one fella' that uses his food bag as a pillow. No poptarts in there I am guessing.

Alligator
05-23-2013, 13:05
Are you a back, side or stomach sleeper?

TurboPants
05-23-2013, 13:14
Sorry I should have mentioned that, I usually sleep on my right side (hurts neck the least) but can back sleep if tire enough, it just makes me snore a little, so I generally don't do that since I'm such a light sleeper than even if I barely snore I wake myself up.

FarmerChef
05-23-2013, 13:26
Long story short, my neck is kinda finicky from when I wrecked my stock car a few years ago.

Boy Turbo, I wish I could start a post with "my stock car" in it somewhere... ;)

I'm not sure what exactly to recommend for the kind of neck issues you are experiencing. But as for the stuff sack, what I use is a Thermarest reversible stuff sack pillow. It's not much different from any other garden-variety stuff sack in terms of mechanics. But what it adds is a thin felt covering over the "inside" that you can reverse to be outside for sleeping on. The trick is that you need to have enough clothes or soft items in it to make it good and puffy. If it's colder and I've got every stitch on, my pillow can get a bit flat.

WingedMonkey
05-23-2013, 13:30
Which Cocoon air pillow are you using? One of the rectangle ones or the neck pillow?

Alligator
05-23-2013, 13:35
I've tried two of the inflatable pillows, not counting a cut up water wing. I am currently using a Cocoon. I agree with you, I would describe it as a little bouncy myself. You might like the exped (http://www.rei.com/product/830617/exped-air-pillow), it is comfortable for side sleeping and the chambers reduce bounce. It is good for back sleeping as well. It is odd shaped though and uncomfortable for stomach sleeping. The part with the curve cutout in it is larger than the remaining two thirds. The larger chamber fits under the neck pretty good, but for stomach sleeping it doesn't work out.

TurboPants
05-23-2013, 13:39
I sure miss the racing, but my wallet doesn't! ;) It's the left side of my neck that took the whiplash so that's why I have to sleep on he right side.

The Cocoon pillow I have is this one, called the travel aircore:
http://www.amazon.com/Cocoon-Ultralight-AirCore-Travel-Pillow/dp/B001DXCSSK/ref=sr_sp-atf_image_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369330321&sr=8-1&keywords=cocoon+pillow

Maybe I need to go to a dedicated pillow sack and carry enough "stuff" that it works. But after 4 days the clothing bag is not the best smelling thing in your pack so I can't imagine that's what I want to smell all night long.

FarmerChef
05-23-2013, 13:48
I sure miss the racing, but my wallet doesn't! ;) It's the left side of my neck that took the whiplash so that's why I have to sleep on he right side.

The Cocoon pillow I have is this one, called the travel aircore:
http://www.amazon.com/Cocoon-Ultralight-AirCore-Travel-Pillow/dp/B001DXCSSK/ref=sr_sp-atf_image_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369330321&sr=8-1&keywords=cocoon+pillow

Maybe I need to go to a dedicated pillow sack and carry enough "stuff" that it works. But after 4 days the clothing bag is not the best smelling thing in your pack so I can't imagine that's what I want to smell all night long.

There are a few lessons regarding smell that I've learned.

Unlike some ultralighters I do carry an extra set of clean shorts/tshirt, an extra pair of socks and an extra pair of undies in addition to other climate-specific gear I might bring. The trick is to wear the stinkies for as long as possible until you can do a wash and then swap out with your cleans. Additionally, if you do laundry daily (socks at a minimum, maybe shorts/shirts) it can help cut down on the smell as well. One definite thing I do NOT put in my stuff are the dirty socks. Until they're washed in a machine, they stay on my pack or line drying and then get put on while I wash the pair I'm wearing. This will do the most to stink up the pillow. Further, if I must change out skivvies, I keep a quart ziploc bag to put those in before I put them in my stuff. Tricks of the trade. Overall, I've not had very many unpleasant smelling nights in many nights on the trail.

Echraide
05-23-2013, 14:45
I'm a side sleeper with neck pain, too. I tried sleeping on extra clothes (aren't you wearing most of your clothes at night?), other stuff sacks, even my shoes. Didn't work. Now I use a small synthetic pillow I bought in the home section at Walmart. It was $6 and weighs 5 oz. Compacts down to a tiny ball for carrying in my pack, fluffs up into a nice little pillow at night.

Nak
05-23-2013, 15:02
I don't have neck issues, but FWIW, I used this pillow:

http://www.amazon.com/Exped-32205231-Air-Pillow-Medium/dp/B003BUMRZC/ref=sr_1_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1369335438&sr=1-2&keywords=air+pillow

I found it very comfortable. I'd use it overinflated some nights to keep my head up mostly for back sleeping or under inflate it for that soft squishy feel when sleeping on my side.

BostonBlue
05-23-2013, 15:06
I don't have neck issues, but FWIW, I used this pillow:

http://www.amazon.com/Exped-32205231-Air-Pillow-Medium/dp/B003BUMRZC/ref=sr_1_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1369335438&sr=1-2&keywords=air+pillow

I found it very comfortable. I'd use it overinflated some nights to keep my head up mostly for back sleeping or under inflate it for that soft squishy feel when sleeping on my side.

Hey, that pillow looks NICE! Can you please go weigh it for us? :D

FarmerChef
05-23-2013, 15:18
Hey, that pillow looks NICE! Can you please go weigh it for us? :D

That does look nice. Shipping weight does say 1 pound. Ouch. ;) Still, for the right neck....

eddiechuck
05-23-2013, 15:30
That does look nice. Shipping weight does say 1 pound. Ouch. ;) Still, for the right neck....

Just saw the 1# wt. Noooooo, Go here:

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___91229

"more better" description...3 oz. for the medium which is what I used

slbirdnerd
05-23-2013, 15:37

Shipping weight includes their box, packaging materials, etc., everything that adds up to the shipping cost. Product weight is different.

BostonBlue
05-23-2013, 15:37
Just saw the 1# wt. Noooooo, Go here:

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___91229

"more better" description...3 oz. for the medium which is what I used

And comes with its own bag! Thanks Eddie!

House of Payne
05-23-2013, 15:39
In a case like yours when you have an old injury, take a pillow. We all know its a luxury item but in your case it's more of a medical issue.

Alligator
05-23-2013, 15:59
There's also an ultralight version of the exped (http://www.rei.com/product/847128/exped-air-pillow-ul), looks like $10 more. The Large is a little tight to fit into some sleeping bag hoods, but it is about 3/4 in taller.

BostonBlue
05-23-2013, 16:07
There's also an ultralight version of the exped (http://www.rei.com/product/847128/exped-air-pillow-ul), looks like $10 more. The Large is a little tight to fit into some sleeping bag hoods, but it is about 3/4 in taller.

For 1.5 oz? Heck yes, I'll bring a pillow! Thanks for info.

TurboPants
05-23-2013, 16:15
Guess I should make a trip to the local Wally world. I have to unbox one of their scales and weigh the small travel pillows. Hope I don't get in trouble lol. I never thought about it, but I could even make my own pillow with down. That would compress down fairly well too if I had to shove it in a pouch. Thanks for the ideas kids, back to the research bin!

Nooga
05-23-2013, 20:06
Exped pillow for me. It worked great on my hike last year. At Trail Days, I noticed that Hyperlite is offering a cuban fibre stuff sack that is reversible with fleece on one side which looked good.

Mr. Bumpy
05-23-2013, 20:26
Another shout out-for the Exped. I likes mine large.

rocketsocks
05-23-2013, 20:31
I've been using the same ole thermarest crushable pillow for years...about 7oz. I think, not a bad pillow, little bulky though. Sometimes I just leave it in the stuff sack it came with and use it like a Chinese or Japanese round pillow, keeps my head propped up for reading.

Blissful
05-23-2013, 20:35
I love my exped airpillow.

HeartFire
05-23-2013, 21:03
I have a SQUSH pillow - it has those micro beads - you find them in the big bins at Bed Bath and Beyond - mine is about the size of an airplane pillow,it weighs 6 oz, so a bit on the heavy side, and it does NOT pack down at all, so it's rather bulky, but boy do I love it. It fits into the hood on my sleeping bag so it stays in place. I can smoosh it in the way I want it - no neck or ear pain ever.

I miss Mtns.
05-24-2013, 00:43
I am also a side sleeper and used to get really sore shoulders, hips and neck using a green thermarest and makeshift or blow up pillows. Now when I'm not in a hammock, I leave the $50 thermarest at home and forget the pillow. I traded them out for a $2 inflatable pool float with the built in pillows (you know the different colored barely float style since the 80's). I sleep great even down to the teens with a 20* down bag in a tent and don't even snore because the pillow is so high. I have shock cord on my sleeping bag loops to keep it under me. Sometimes I carry my daughter's pink one just to really mindf&#k the gear heads. At first I worried about durability but have never had a problem and I have duct tape and one of those small patches they give you just in case. The pillow doesn't move because it's built in to the float and it's about 8-10'' high when inflated.

DeerPath
05-24-2013, 09:55

I use the EXPED pillow. It's very comfortable, but hard to keep in place on my EXPED mat. It does have loops on both sides (to tie in place?), and weighs 2.0 oz. on my postal scale.
Any suggestion on keeping it in place?

Rocket Jones
05-24-2013, 10:32
+1 on the Exped Air Pillows (http://www.rei.com/product/830617/exped-air-pillow) mentioned above. I'm a side sleeper, so one thing I did was to cut a small rectangular piece of dense foam to slip under it and raise the height. I had originally intended to make a small pillowcase to fit them together and keep them from slipping, but so far I've found that to be unnecessary when combined with my NeoAir Trekker pad.

oceaneire
05-24-2013, 10:42
I have a SQUSH pillow - it has those micro beads - you find them in the big bins at Bed Bath and Beyond - mine is about the size of an airplane pillow,it weighs 6 oz, so a bit on the heavy side, and it does NOT pack down at all, so it's rather bulky, but boy do I love it. It fits into the hood on my sleeping bag so it stays in place. I can smoosh it in the way I want it - no neck or ear pain ever.

+1 on the microbeads. I have a chronic pain issue that greatly affects my neck and upper back - this pillow is a necessity of life. I use it every night, in the car, on the plane, camping, etc. It is well worth the little bit of extra weight.

treesloth
05-24-2013, 11:13

+1 on this... I've mentioned on here before about my pillow solution, as bulky as it is. I cut a small hole into a Sobakawa pillow, emptied out about half of the styrofoam beads, and sewed the hole back up. Pillow weighs about 8oz without the 2.5 oz pillowcase... I call it my half a pound of pure sleeping pleasure. Takes up the whole bottom 1/4 of my pack but that's ok by me. It's a tradeoff, really... at least for me. My large melon cannot be supported by a soft down pillow that compresses to the size of a baseball. This pillow is totally supportive, 'smooshable' as it were, and can be folded in half to prop my head up for reading. As a side/stomach sleeper, it's a great solution (so far) to me.

Kingbee
05-24-2013, 11:15
+1 on the Exped pillow. Very light and packs into a very small stuff sack.

Odd Man Out
05-24-2013, 11:53
I have a follow-up pillow question:

For those using air mattresses (e.g. Neoair, etc..), do you put your head/pillow on the pad or do you sleep with your shoulders at the top of the pad and your pillow and head off the end? I learned on my last outing I am now too old to be comfortable on a CCF pad anymore and was going to upgrade to a Neoair. But I figure I could get by with a shorter pad, especially if I only need it to go from my shoulders to hips but then I would need a thicker pillow (by the thickness of the inflatable pad).

HeartFire
05-24-2013, 12:41

For those using air mattresses (e.g. Neoair, etc..), do you put your head/pillow on the pad or do you sleep with your shoulders at the top of the pad and your pillow and head off the end? I learned on my last outing I am now too old to be comfortable on a CCF pad anymore and was going to upgrade to a Neoair. But I figure I could get by with a shorter pad, especially if I only need it to go from my shoulders to hips but then I would need a thicker pillow (by the thickness of the inflatable pad).
I'm a side sleeper, I use a 25 X 72 neoair that I cut down the length (I'm not that tall). I wanted the wider width. I sleep with my head on the pad along with my sqush pillow and sleep like a baby.

Nooga
05-24-2013, 14:10

With my Neoair, I need to have the Exped pillow on the the Neoair. For me the Neoair is too high to place place the pillow on the ground.

Rocket Jones
05-24-2013, 16:26
I have the pillow on the pad with me. I'm planning on getting the new Trekker wide torso model and will just use my pack under my legs.

Swordpen
05-24-2013, 23:48
I have both Exped pillows, the regular & the ultralight. I had the regular, then I liked it so much, I bought the ultralight.

The ultralight is lighter by 1 oz, only because they got rid of one valve.

In addition, the ultralight has a different slippery surface, I don't like it personally, & will be sticking with the regular red color.

Also, Zpacks makes a clothing Cuben stuff sack, that if you turn it inside out, it has a side thats fleece, so non-slippery. I'm thinking about that one to try.

Theosus
05-25-2013, 10:12
Ive seen the exped in person before. It looks very nice, and is contoured so you don't roll off. I have a cocoon I think. Its like a ziplock freezer bag full of air with a fuzzy cover. It's pretty bad, in that my head always want to roll off. I gave up and made a pillow from a cotton (yes cotton damn it, you don't use rip-stop nylon pillowcases at home, for good reason!) cloth and some climashield left over from my under quilt project. I just stuff it in the bottom of my pack and sit everything on it. It's about 14x9. Not sure the weight... a few ounces I guess. But it keeps my head warm and comfy in the hammock. And it has a pouch for my headphones and iPhone, so they don't wind up under me in the middle of the night after I fall asleep listening to something.